WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default "Woobie" weight?

..to all of you who love the "woobie," what is the actual weight of your poncho liner? I've found listed weights of 2 pounds, but this can't be right; this seems to be more like shipping weights. What say ye'?

wHAT IS A WOOBIE AND WHAT IS A PONCHO LINER?

Images

I suppose that asking what your woobies weight is more polite then asking what is your woobies length.

Images

22-23 ounces. I have a couple.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Looks like a poncho to me. Never knew they had liners for ponchos. Is a woobie another name for a poncho liner?

Bearpaw, what temp. would you estimate these to be intended for -40/50/60-degree?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Looks like a poncho to me. Never knew they had liners for ponchos. Is a woobie another name for a poncho liner?
    A poncho liner is a rectangular synthetic quilt, weighs about 22-23 oz, is warm down to about 50 degrees, and has tie-outs so you can tie it directly to the grommets on a standard issue poncho. Used together, you get a mostly waterproof burrito warm down into the 40's. I've spent MANY nights wrapped in one on patrols.

I still carry a poncho liner in warm weather instead of a sleeping bag or shaped quilt. For $20-30 in a surplus store, a poncho liner is a real steal.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    A poncho liner is a rectangular synthetic quilt, weighs about 22-23 oz, is warm down to about 50 degrees, and has tie-outs so you can tie it directly to the grommets on a standard issue poncho. Used together, you get a mostly waterproof burrito warm down into the 40's. I've spent MANY nights wrapped in one on patrols.

I still carry a poncho liner in warm weather instead of a sleeping bag or shaped quilt. For $20-30 in a surplus store, a poncho liner is a real steal.
    Thanks Bearpaw- thats good to know. Are they called woobies?

Better Question: Why woobie?

I originally intended to pack up my woobie into my AT thru hike list, but then I weighed it and decided against it. My postal scale put it at 23 ounces, which is as much as my under quilt and overquilt weigh combined. I do love my woobie though, and use it on many of my summer trips. I haven't tried it below 45 degrees, so I don't know how low it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Thanks Bearpaw- thats good to know. Are they called woobies?

Anyone in the military now, or is familiar with the military language, knows a poncho liner by the name woobie. I googled it and apparently there is a Keaton movie called "Mr. Mom" in which a kid calls his security blanket "Woobie" and thats where we picked it up from.

My understanding is that it is a relatively new term in regards to the poncho liner, but it spread like wildfire and is now commonplace.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

woobie is a fairly common name for a "security blanket" in baby talk somewhere in America. I'm told GI's attached the name to the poncho liner sometime post Viet Nam era.

They weigh about 1 1/2 pounds.

I modified mine with a head hole in the middle and used it as a camp jacket until I got a down jacket.

As a bag liner, it makes my Kelty 24 deg comfortable into the teens.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

My kifaru Gen 1 woobie with the 40 degree insulation is about 1 pound and 6 ounces while the GI poncho liner is about 1 pound and 12 ounces. The Kifaru is warmer by 10-15 degrees and packs smaller. the new Gen 2 Woobies are a little heavier but they are longer and wider now so you can better use them like a blanket.

The GI one will be comfortable (for me at least) down to 55-60 degrees and 50 is pushing it. The Kifaru version will keep me warm down to 40 degrees.

UPDATE: The newer ones now have zippers along two sides and are now part of a layered sleeping system including a bag, woobie, base layer, heavier weight layer, and a down "happy suit". The weight will likely have changed but I still love my woobie and have used it into the 40s with base layers without too much issue. I have been thinking of using it or my older non-zipper one in the warmer months rather than my 30* bag in my hammock.

Several years ago, I sewed up an Uber-Woobie using 6oz Climashield Apex for insulation. It weighs a hair over 2#, but keeps me warm down to the mid-20's. It's not my favorite sleeping bag/quilt. The standard issue woobie is only good to about 45°.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

++ New Posts ++