WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default Northern CT Roadwalk - Is there a Ridgeline Alternative?

    I'm working on completing the CT Metacomet section of the New England Trail. I haven't yet done the part north of Rt. 20, and really don't like the idea of a two-plus mile road walk to complete the CT portion (not fond of having to do the roadwalk parts in Berlin for that matter, either).

    Is there a trail on the ridge parallel to the northern roadwalk? Any intel on this? I think I recall hearing it's a private landowner permission issue or maybe a development issue, but I'm not sure.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-02-2010
    Location
    Bristol, CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    270

    Default

    It looks bushwhackable, perhaps we can try it some time.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

  3. #3
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    It looks bushwhackable, perhaps we can try it some time.
    Doubtless bushwhackable, I'm curious about the landowners' take on the situation - super-hostile? Passively so? I'm local this weekend. Hope to be back out next.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  4. #4

    Default

    There always was (and probably still is) a trail through the area, I have hiked it many times. The Bloomfield Fish & Game Club owns land on the East side of the ridge that goes up to the ridgeline and included the trail. They hunt the land on their property and have closed the access. I doubt the property is much more than 2000' but I don't know.
    There are McMansions on the West side so I doubt any rights of way would be able to be negotiated there.

    chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

  5. #5
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker8261 View Post
    There always was (and probably still is) a trail through the area, I have hiked it many times. The Bloomfield Fish & Game Club owns land on the East side of the ridge that goes up to the ridgeline and included the trail. They hunt the land on their property and have closed the access. I doubt the property is much more than 2000' but I don't know.
    There are McMansions on the West side so I doubt any rights of way would be able to be negotiated there.
    The Bloomfield Fish and Game bit rings a bell with me now, Chris. Thanks or that. (Hi, I'm Chris, too. )

    So is it possible to skirt along the edge of their property atop the ridge unobtrusively? Are there fence issues? I understand that the roadwalk in Berlin west of Rt. 15 is a given (Orchard Road, is it?), but I strongly dislike ones like this. Just let people hike through, for goodness sake! It's like the guy who built right in the path of the old Metacomet Trail north of West Peak near the Southington/Berlin line, necessitating a pipeline walk followed by a mile and a half of roadwalk. A great case for eminent domain, I say only half-jokingly. :/
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  6. #6

    Default

    If you go to the trail changes page of the CFPA website:
    http://www.ctwoodlands.org/trail-changes
    They do say the trail is closed on the BFGA property. I take that to mean you can walk up to either border. I haven't been up there to see what, if any, fences, postings, etc are there.
    I was mountain biking on their property 3 years ago with an adjacent home owner (who had permission to do that), and saw some of the work they were doing to improve the land for hunting. I was guessing at that time that the trail would be impacted but didn't realize it had already been closed (in 2007 according to the CFPA site).
    If you were doing a thru hike, I would write a letter to the club asking for permission to cross the land.

    chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

  7. #7
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker8261 View Post
    If you go to the trail changes page of the CFPA website:
    http://www.ctwoodlands.org/trail-changes
    They do say the trail is closed on the BFGA property. I take that to mean you can walk up to either border. I haven't been up there to see what, if any, fences, postings, etc are there.
    I was mountain biking on their property 3 years ago with an adjacent home owner (who had permission to do that), and saw some of the work they were doing to improve the land for hunting. I was guessing at that time that the trail would be impacted but didn't realize it had already been closed (in 2007 according to the CFPA site).
    If you were doing a thru hike, I would write a letter to the club asking for permission to cross the land.

    chris
    Thank you so much, Chris. Very helpful!
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  8. #8
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Hey Chris - I went and checked out the changes. The BFGC property is south of Phelps Road. It's good to know that there's an issue on that Peak Mountain stretch. Strangely, the CFPA notice does not advise of a reroute. Bummer!

    But: this doesn't address my initial question - what about the roadwalk section north of Phelps Road to the Mass state line? Any info on that? I'd be most appreciative. Thank you again!
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  9. #9
    Not Yet 2015 GA > ME Joker4ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-01-2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut
    Age
    40
    Posts
    259

    Default

    The road walk isn't bad. There is plenty of shoulder/grass to walk on. You were asking about a trail parallel to the road walk. I believe you are speaking of Suffield Mountain. Here is one of the very few links I found about it:
    http://home.comcast.net/~tm01001/mct02.htm

  10. #10

    Default

    In the CT Walk Book (West), West Suffield Mtn is the part south of Rt 168, where the link has that listed as Suffield Mtn. The original poster looking for info North of Rt 168. The area opposite the trail is known as Alcorn Wildlife Preserve. Suffield Land Trust manages it but only has 25 acres there.
    I have one of the old blue walk book which would have the old trail (I am fairly certain it did go all the way to Rising Corner in MA on the ridge) but it is put away somewhere. I looked at the online aerial/satellite photos, I could pick out the ridgeline and don't see houses until the road crossing at Rising Corner.
    About half of that road walk is on the faster Rt 168, the other half is on the narrower Warnertown Rd. Crappy walk but should be under an hour. I have ridden it many times on my bicycle and it is an easy stretch.

    chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

  11. #11
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Hi Joker:

    That's the stretch south of Phelps Road. The roadwalk is the next segment north, for about 2.5 miles. I don't mind the occasional football field or quarter mile of road on a trail, but I really don't like that the Metacomet Trail, named for the ridge, after all, does its final 2.5 miles in CT on paved road running alongside the ridge. So I was looking here into whether the ridge between Phelps Road and the Mass line is doable.

    I don't want the whole forum on the New England Trail to be negative, so I'm gonna set up a positive thread, as well.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  12. #12

    Default

    It's been about 4 years since I hiked the M-M Trail south to Rt. 20. I'm still in the dark as to where xactly the fish and game club has blocked access. Is it near the towers down near Rt. 20 section?

  13. #13

    Default

    I can't say that it is physically blocked but it is listed as closed. It is north of the towers.
    If you look at Bing or Google maps and find Rt 187 North out of East Granby Center, it makes a sharp 90 degree turn after several miles. At that point a short dead end road goes West (Austin Brook Dr). Along the South edge of those houses is the Fish and Game property. It goes West through a series of large fields and then small clearings for a quarter mile or more. It is very visible on the aerial views on either website.

    chris
    Chris "Flash" Gordon
    LT -1987, 2012; West Highland Way & Cape Wrath Trail, Scotland - 2008; AT - 2009

  14. #14
    Not Yet 2015 GA > ME Joker4ink's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-01-2010
    Location
    Southington, Connecticut
    Age
    40
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Oh I'm sorry. Good luck with the remainder of the trail though!

    -Steve

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker8261 View Post
    I can't say that it is physically blocked but it is listed as closed. It is north of the towers.
    If you look at Bing or Google maps and find Rt 187 North out of East Granby Center, it makes a sharp 90 degree turn after several miles. At that point a short dead end road goes West (Austin Brook Dr). Along the South edge of those houses is the Fish and Game property. It goes West through a series of large fields and then small clearings for a quarter mile or more. It is very visible on the aerial views on either website.

    chris
    Thanks for the info! I looked on Google and had no trouble finding the area. I understand the concern for people walking thru a hunting area, but was something more involved in closing that section of the trail by the BF&GC than just safety?

  16. #16
    Registered User bmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-10-2010
    Location
    Tolland, Connecticut
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surplusman View Post
    Thanks for the info! I looked on Google and had no trouble finding the area. I understand the concern for people walking thru a hunting area, but was something more involved in closing that section of the trail by the BF&GC than just safety?
    In reference to the closing of the section of trail on the BF&GC Property. My husband and I stopped in at the CFPA office this past May and asked them about this section of trail. We were told that the only reason the trail was listed as closed in this area was because the CFPA and the fish & game club hadn't signed an agreement yet as far as trail usage. Because of that the BF&GC asked for the trail to be listed as closed on the CFPA website. According to the woman we spoke to there is no issue with hikers going ahead and walking through the property, there are no physical barriers, no signs, and you won't even know exactly when you've crossed onto their property. We found this to be the case and hiked through the area on 5/22/2011 with no problems.

    As far as the last 2.5 miles of road walk, for now it seems we're stuck with it. It's not a bad stretch of road though, not very busy.

    Hope this is helpful.

  17. #17
    Registered User Driver8's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-24-2010
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Posts
    2,672
    Images
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    In reference to the closing of the section of trail on the BF&GC Property. My husband and I stopped in at the CFPA office this past May and asked them about this section of trail. We were told that the only reason the trail was listed as closed in this area was because the CFPA and the fish & game club hadn't signed an agreement yet as far as trail usage. Because of that the BF&GC asked for the trail to be listed as closed on the CFPA website. According to the woman we spoke to there is no issue with hikers going ahead and walking through the property, there are no physical barriers, no signs, and you won't even know exactly when you've crossed onto their property. We found this to be the case and hiked through the area on 5/22/2011 with no problems.

    As far as the last 2.5 miles of road walk, for now it seems we're stuck with it. It's not a bad stretch of road though, not very busy.

    Hope this is helpful.
    Thank you, bmn. I'd head the same thing as you about the BF&GC closure, probably from the same person at CFPA as you. I still haven't done the northern roadwalk or the southern very-road-walky section east of Chamberlain Highway. Been busy with other trails. Coming soon, though - want to finish off the Metacomet now, since I've done the rest of it.
    The more miles, the merrier!

    NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

  18. #18

    Default

    Just a quick update. This section of trail has been re-opened and a trail relo was completed on the bloomfield f&g club lands. There is a new interactive trail map on newenglandtrail.org that's worth checking out. The website is also getting updated so there will be more info up there soon.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •