WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Means of getting to Trailhead (not including shuttle for some)

Voters
38. This poll is closed
  • Personal vehicle

22 57.89%
  • Carpool

2 5.26%
  • Train

5 13.16%
  • Plane

6 15.79%
  • Bus

3 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Getting to the Trailhead for NOBOers?

Curious to see how everyone got from home to Springer?
    Last edited by Bloodroot; 11-07-2004 at 07:34. Reason: ............
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

I live in Georgia and I'm a section hiker. (Personal vehicle)

Now, you have little choice how to get to Amicalola Falls or Springer without using a car at some point. There are plenty of shuttlers who will pick you up at the airport (at least one commercial shuttle that will drop you off in Dawsonville) in Atlanta. There is at least one hostel with a great deal including the first night, shuttle and fuel.

Bill...

Images

Question Shuttle costs

found the info.
    thanks

Images

I'd guess I should mark personal vehicle, although I have always gotten a ride to the trailhead and been picked up by my husband after my section hikes. Or would that fall under shuttle? Anyhow, I never have had to worry about parking.
    Last edited by Lilred; 11-07-2004 at 09:43. Reason: clarification
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

///////////////////////////
    Last edited by Bloodroot; 11-07-2004 at 15:34. Reason: .........................
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Sorry guys I totally chewed up the wording on this post I asked one thing on the poll and another on the thread. Tried to fix but for some reason I couldn't edit. Anyhow, I think I have all the major issues taken care of except transportation to Atlanta. I know the options, just trying to get feedback from the majority on what means of transportation they chose. Thanks.

Jason
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

If you fly to ATL, you have to resupply with fuel and such. If you take bus, train or car, you have your choice of bringing all your gear and simply hitting the trail after shuttling or getting a ride to Springer/Amicolola.

Images

Default ride up to A.F. State Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot
    Curious to see how everyone got from home to Springer?
    bloodroot,
    to my fellow wv hillbilly, you get anywhere close to augusta and i'll drive you on up there to springer....i'll even do a couple sections with you if you feel like company...

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    If you fly to ATL, you have to resupply with fuel and such. If you take bus, train or car, you have your choice of bringing all your gear and simply hitting the trail after shuttling or getting a ride to Springer/Amicolola.
    Thanks of reassuring me of that. Right now Im leaning towards railheading just so I dont have to deal with the airlines in ATL losing my ***** again(horrible experience there when I came home for leave in July).
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Quote Originally Posted by grandview
    bloodroot,
    to my fellow wv hillbilly, you get anywhere close to augusta and i'll drive you on up there to springer....i'll even do a couple sections with you if you feel like company...
    Hey now there's a thought! Splendid idea! I can always use some company You wanting to hit it up anytime in April?
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Most stories of lost gear involve buses, at least from my experience. If you keep your gear in a duffle bag, airlines seem a good bet from my observations and travel. I tend to get cheap duffles and discard them (Big Lots, Tuesday Morning, and such).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodroot
    Hey now there's a thought! Splendid idea! I can always use some company You wanting to hit it up anytime in April?
    ABSOLUTELY

Default Re

i bring a buddy or family to drive my car home

++ New Posts ++