WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Barefoot at sea level

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Well who DOESN'T love shopping for bread in a Communist Co-Op?
    Couldn't resist ... in the city market of Uzhgorod, Ukraine:

http://www.capefearwedding.com/europ...s/DSCF0505.jpg

A good analogy to shopping for trail food: bread, sausage (Russian-style salami), cheese and apples to eat on the train.

Images

And here's an example of New Capitalist Russia:
    http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...d-34726327.jpg
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Kent was a wonderful town (my experience) and I'm glad I went there and neroed. I had heard the reputation before getting there and was pleasantly surprised. The outfitter was not geared towards the thru-hiking community but they were probably set up to succeed in their particualr market and nobody can fault them for that.it's not alway about the thru-hikers anyway no matter what they say!

"Neroed" sounds like fun, given his rep...

I wouldn't associate the Pineallas Trail at all with hikers. Its a paved "rails to trails" type trail that goes thru the business district between St Pete and Clearwater. I'd associate it with bikers and inline skaters.

I'm not surprised by the rudeness. After having spent 15 years following the Grateful Dead, I've experienced my fair share of rudeness. Many people truely are afraid of others who don't fit their idea of "normal". I'll never forget a series of Dead shows at the Spectum in Philly in the mid '80's. Just so happened that a WWF wrestling event took place during the daytime of the 2nd show, also at the Spectrum. I'll never forget how the parents leaving the WWF event with their kids shielded their kids from all us peaceful Deadheads, after taking those same kids to watch a bunch of guys beat the s#%t out of each other. Very strange experience indeed.

Default No it's not Terrorist being seen everywhere....

I'm really jaded about being approached by strangers, no matter where I am, and it doesnt matter how they are dressed. The worst thing you can say to me is "Can I ask you something'because 99% of the time they want something for nothing.... thats how life is now, it's easier to ask for something than earn or work for it. That being said, from my personal experiences if you impose on me I'll treat you the same. Many years ago I got told by a motel owner in Erwin, we don't rent to "your kind" coming off the trail on a section hike. Never will go back into
    Erwin if possible again.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    There's a whole slew of other businesses that would just crave that 1% you mentioned in this economy.

The world's greatest salesman Joe Girard once said that, on average, everyone knows about 250 people. When that person has a bad consumer experience it translates out to that group of friends or aquatints and, over time, can gave a stunning negative impact on a businesses customer base. Sorta like stories of awful town attitudes and experiences expressed in forums like these.

1% bad customer service times how many thru- hikers, over how many years? It becomes quite clear why Kent, CT has a stigma.
    if you dont already know about it you may find the dunbar number of interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number
    -------

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    An incident last weekend in Clearwater makes me wonder. I wanted to ask a woman in a parking lot where to pick up the Pinellas Trail while traveling thru. She Jumped into her car and locked herself in and did not leave the parking lot until I hiked on. I barely appoached. Is this common? She acted like I had 3 heads.
    If you are in FL I can se why you got this treatment. Not many people down here know about hiking or hiking trails. When they see you they see a bum/trash whatever you would like to call it. When I got back from my hike last year I was looked at like I was a bum. I am sure my long beard did not help matters much. It was 7" long before I shaved it off for welding school. I am now growing it back since I can't find a job.
    I don't know

FEAR! It can grip heart and mind. When operating solely out of the physical senses and unrenewed mind this is what can happen! Operate out of faith and love in the spirit with a renewed mind and it transcends fear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    FEAR! It can grip heart and mind. When operating solely out of the physical senses and unrenewed mind this is what can happen! Operate out of faith and love in the spirit with a renewed mind and it transcends fear!
    Ahh. An Eckart Tolle fan? Me too
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Oh so true Dogwood. I do a lot of road walks here in FL. I am offered money all the time. A couple of months ago I was finishing up a trip in the Ocala National Forest and had walked back into Ocala. It was about 9:00 at night and I was coming to a stop sign where I found a SUV stopped at the sign with the lights on and engine running. I couldn't see the driver so I went behind the car, not wanting to walk in front of a running vehicle. Anyway there was a lady out of the car getting something out of her back seat and I scared the hebejeebees out of her. I assured her I meant her no harm and said I was sorry for scaring her and walked on. A couple of minutes later I noticed a car behind me keeping pace with me so I turned around to look. It was the lady I had scared so badly. She rolled up beside me and held out a $20. I had a hard time convincing her I didn't need any money. She was so convinced that I wouldn't take the money because I was to proud to take a handout. The perception that an old guy with a backpack must be down on his luck is common here in Fl.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Kent, CT won the "Rudest Town on the AT Award" when I passed through in 2009.
    Well, yeah... also likely the wealthiest.

Connecticut, generally speaking, is about the rudest state in America...

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    Well, yeah... also likely the wealthiest.

Connecticut, generally speaking, is about the rudest state in America...
    Not speaking about the entire state of Arizona....Wilcox, Arizona had the rudest, most vile, obnoxious, loudest mouthed people I ever ran across..as I said..not blaming the entire state..just Wilcox....

Images

I have been told that a shave and a hair cut once in a blue moon can help a lot. it has in my experiences.
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

Don't worry kids, the thru-hikers are more afraid of you than you are of them.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Barefoot at sea level

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    The perception that an old guy with a backpack must be down on his luck is common here in Fl.
    It's kinda funny the looks I get, wearing my backpack, when I do the 5-mile round-trip through the back streets of my suburban subdivision to my local supermarket. (Lugging 35-40 pounds of groceries home once a week or so is a good way to stay in condition). Guess my good neighbors aren't accustomed to seeing vagrants like myself anywhere but downtown or on the highway off-ramps.

Images

I do that too Beachcomber- but not with groceries. I load up my pack to prepare for a serious hike to get used to hauling the weight. People either think I'm lost or frightening. But man, I must be the cleanest vagrant in the whole world when I hike the five miles near my home...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Barefoot at sea level

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    People either think I'm lost or frightening.
    Not lost, but definitely frightening, especially if I've been lazy about shaving for a couple of days. (That sexy stubble look doesn't work beyond a certain age; I just look like I need a drink.)

Quote Originally Posted by skooch View Post
    An incident last weekend in Clearwater makes me wonder. I wanted to ask a woman in a parking lot where to pick up the Pinellas Trail while traveling thru. She Jumped into her car and locked herself in and did not leave the parking lot until I hiked on. I barely appoached. Is this common? She acted like I had 3 heads.

Maybe she had been previously raped.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++