WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stoves!

Caldera Cone Ti-Tri and Evernew 1.3 L pot. Too bad BackCountry.com may not sell them. O well . . .
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    and I failed to mention in my posts above that alcohol is not dependent upon deep drilling and the incredible use of energy to obtain petroleum and natural gas.
    It's greener than other fuels, is the point I should've made previously.
    Only in some twisted environmentalist dream. In reality, most alcohol is produced by intensive mechanized agriculture requiring and "incredible use of energy" for fertilizer, irrigation, cultivation, pest control, harvest, transport and distillation. Were it not for heavy government subsidies, it would never be viable as a fuel source for vehicles. It would still be a good fuel for backpacking stoves. Now if you want an environmentally appropriate fuel, use a wood burner. Collect the charcoal left in fire pits and burn it down to a white ash. With locally grown wood, there is no energy input other than what the trees get from the sun.

Baron
    Images

I really like my Brunton Raptor.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Journal Entries
    Images

I did a three month AT stroll last summer under the name Protein Powder. After the trip I decided that when I went on my next trip, I would bring a lighter stove. I did some research, and found out that commercial stoves are often heavy, or have problems with priming. I looked up some DIY stove designs and did some experimenting. I ended up making a stove I liked with a variety of power tools, and home made jigs. Its made from thick aluminum Budweiser beer bottles and doesn't require a stand. Since I enjoy making things, and already have the jigs and tools, I decided to mass produce stoves. Check out my website.

Bottlestoves.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    I did a three month AT stroll last summer under the name Protein Powder. After the trip I decided that when I went on my next trip, I would bring a lighter stove. I did some research, and found out that commercial stoves are often heavy, or have problems with priming. I looked up some DIY stove designs and did some experimenting. I ended up making a stove I liked with a variety of power tools, and home made jigs. Its made from thick aluminum Budweiser beer bottles and doesn't require a stand. Since I enjoy making things, and already have the jigs and tools, I decided to mass produce stoves. Check out my website.

Bottlestoves.com
    yeah this takes less than 5 minutes with simple hand tools.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Journal Entries
    Images

I would like to see you make one of them in 5 minutes with hand tools. How would you crimp the bottle? It would likely take 1k lbs or more of even pressure.

Journal Entries
    Images

Can you stand on top of your 5 minute stove?
    David Smolinski

Images

Its the same bottle so why not? Is yours stronger because you use power tools and homemade jigs?

Images

Its the same bottle so why not?  Is yours stronger because you use power tools and homemade jigs? In my pictures you can see one made from a venom energy bottle that took less than 5 minutes.

Images

For the best in homemade stoves contact Zelph
    http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    If being the most borrowed stove on a trail means the best stove then I'd say it must be my Titanium Zip. More than I can count hikers have borrowed my stove to cook a meal because the last resupply point was out of alcohol, out of cannisters, or they just ran out of fuel, blah, blah, blah. The several hikers that I've ran up on that also use some form of wood burner have told me they've had the same experience. The wood burner comes in handy when the water filter clogs and you need to boil a lot more water, or when stranded due to heavy snow and have to wait things out.
    That's exactly why I switched from an alky to the Emberlit woodstove. I hate having to figure out where I'm going to resupply my fuel. The Emberlit can also be used with alcohol and esbit type tabs so it's very versatile. It's also fairly light at about 5 oz and of course you aren't carrying ANY fuel. I've also used it with wet wood and it worked fine.

I've also been eyeballing the Backcountry Boiler woodstove. It solves the soot problem and is extremely efficient. It too can also be used with alky and esbit type tabs.

I used to go stoveless, but i can only eat so many powerbars and the like. So i use this guy now, Soto Micro Regulator Stove. Its alot more expensive then the pocket rocket normally so wait for a sale. I picked one up for 30 so I was happy. Its only 2.5 ounces and has an lighter built in. Cant go wrong.

MSR Reactor stove.. Hands Down.. A bit heavy but I've used the convection pot to break through 4 inches of ice and then melted the ice into water at 6000 ft, 40 mph winds, on a bald at 14 degrees.. Boils 2 cups of water in 52 seconds. Reactor stove= Power Stroke Deisel... Jetboil= prius at best

Images

a tea light alcohol stove that i made with an integrated pot stand check out Jason Klasses website for instructions on how to make one weights about one oz

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Newcomb View Post
    ... Now if you want an environmentally appropriate fuel, use a wood burner. Collect the charcoal left in fire pits and burn it down to a white ash. With locally grown wood, there is no energy input other than what the trees get from the sun.
    Actually, Don makes a very good point, and I don't want to hijack the thread (although since "the stove-for-life" has already been purchased, I don't feel too bad about the doing it), but using some sort of woodburner that's fueled by the charcoal remains of other people's campfires is a great idea. I've used my ZipStove many times in this way, although it IS a bit heavy for long-distance treks. (The "mini-campfire effect" is cool, though.)

Personally, I don't know if there is ONE stove that I would consider to be a "stove-for-life". I'm partial to my old Optimus 99 (the one with the aluminum body and the cover that doubles as a small pot), but I also have an alky stove (not used too often, because I like to COOK, not just heat water), and I also use a canister stove. My Whisperlite hasn't been the same since I dumped a half a pan of not-yet-cooked scrambled eggs into the burner in Vermont many years ago....

And then there's the "car-camping-only wood stove" that I built several years ago...drafts like a chimney...puts out heat like there's no tomorrow...built like a tank, and just as heavy....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Been a fan of Zelph's stoves for years. Used a starlyte for 4 years then switched to the cat can stove. Never failed on me. Etowah stoves are nice as well. If I had to carry a canister for cold weather, MSr Pocket Rocket, hands down.

I used a Zelp Starlyte at -4*F, it works better in the ultra cold than a canister.

Images

ALcohol!! I have used my little 1/3'rd of a sprite can for years.

If backpackers traveled by commercial airways, especially international travel, they would learn quickly that about the only stove that meets all the requirements would be a wood burning type stove, cleaned. This is why I started and have continued to use one. I absolutely did NOT want to use a wood burner, but the hassle of fuel, used fuel burning stoves, etc, etc and having to buy stove fuel at my destination was too much and after I learned all the angles of a wood burner (titanium zip) and their convenience I am now very much sold on them and would never return to by old fuel burners.

( Stoveless ) I recently done some Trail in Pa. and took with me , Peanut Butter and Granola Bars , and packs of noodles , Also packs of Oat meal and a Tin Cup for heating water , Worked well on the Trail except for rain days , No fire no hot meal , But Im not worrying about starving on the Trail , I have about 30 extra pds. to walk off anyway !!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++