WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tuxachanie Trail-South Mississippi-report

Last Friday-May 6-My two buddies and I went out for a one night expedition-we didn't have a lot of time but had the hankering to get in the woods. We left the POW Lake area about 5:10 pm. Our (flexible) plan was to hike in an hour or so, find a spot to camp, wake up and walk out sat morning. The trail parallels Tuxachanie Creek for about two to three miles before turning upland. The conditions were extrememly dry. The creek, which has some nice little rapids over the soap stone bottom was only a trickle. Deeper pools of Black water was the only water seen on the trail anywhere until the 7 miles up to Airy lake area.
    It was a task finding a campsite with the underbrush of the sparse pine forest growing about a foot to 3 foot high. This is not the most aesthetically pleasing scenery due to the stage of the forest but still its out there in the woods and it is the experience of that stage of the forest.. The actual path is grassy for the most part especially once you meander away from the creek bottom-(mowed like walking in the back yard grassy). So..finding a campsite was not easy. We ended up walking 2 hours from the pow lake about 4.5 mile to marker 8.
    Now, the trail shares the horse trail from about 1.5 miles. We saw no horses and only little unpleasant horse signs (manure) and there was no smell that often accompanies horse trails. You will cross a gravel road and walk near the road a couple of times.
    We than found a spot..finally about 7:15..still plenty of day light. At mile marker 8 stop..go off the trail (north) about 100ft and there is a very nice spot. I'm really not sure how they expect you to camp 100 ft off the trail as this was the only place we saw for the most part the whole way not "in" the trail. The only negative,,you are only about 400 yards from that road, which we didnt realize until we heard one group of loud folks with dogs and when they left it was quiet..they would not know you were there unless they see your light.
    We heard some coyotes off in the distance at one point and saw what we presumed was there scat on the trail in a few spots.
    Temps down in the low 50's or upper 40's, We got up, decided to walk to Airy lake about 2.5 miles away, filled up on water and headed back to the POW lake area retracing our path and arrived back at out starting point about 12:30 pm on saturday...
    All in all a pleasant outing on the easternmost part of the Trail off Bethal Rd.

Sorry, folks I can spell...I was doing it in kind of a hurry.

Went for a short hike this past wednesday on the tux trail. Parked at Airey lake with the idea that I would walk for about an hour and head back to the car. At my 1 hour turnaround point I was only 2 miles from the Hwy 49 trailhead. I kept going. I took a few minutes brake at the parking lot at Hwy 49, adjusted my boots and headed back. I hiked the 11 miles round trip in about 3 hrs and 20 minutes. The trail was in great condition and with the bridges, boardwalks and raised areas of the trail through any wet areas, there was no worry of getting wet feet even after this weekends big rains. It was in the low 70's so it was pretty warm for February. I saw the first snake I've ever seen in February, ever, lying across the trail. It was a 4 ft long non-poisonouos black snake.
    This completes my "thru-hike" of the Tuxachanie's 12 and a half mile length. This western end of the Tux trail must be the most popular dayhike in Mississippi based on the cars I see parked at the Hwy 49 trailhead when I've passed on the hwy.

Images

The Tux is a very popular trail. I use it as my goto trail b/c of its close proximity for testing gear and such. Have seen some Boy Scout troops out there as well at times. My goal is to day hike the entire trail in a day for prep for mountain trails, for endurance that is.

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

I went out from Airey Lake eastward yesterday to finish out 2012. Trail in great shape and a fairley new historical marker about the "James Copeland Gang" in place near there. Went out and back in two hours and got in about 6 plus miles. Just seeing if anybody has been out on the Tux lately. I was thinking as I walked that in 10 years if they don't cut timber there again it will be a good forest walk as now it is a lot of brush growing up, due to the forest cut of a few years ago. Happy trails in 2013!!

Wanted to give the current trail conditions for those who might be interested. Most of the trail has been mowed. The exception is the 2 1/2 section near POW. All bridges and boardwalks are in good shape except one near POW. It washed away leaving the old plank bridge beneath it. Climbing across the tree roots seems safer to me than walking the plank. There is an unbridged water crossing that is ok when water levels are low. When water levels are high, follow the pink polka dot tape to reach a grate to cross over the creek. May need to cut briars to get to grate.
    There is a fork in the trail near POW. If coming from Airie, the rt fork leads to POW. The left fork continues along the creek for about a mile to Bethel Rd. where the trail ends. It is a very scenic section with places to climb down to the creek and sandbars.
    Unfortunately, some logging is going on in the Airie section. For the most part, the Tuxachanie Trail is in good shape.

Trail report: The Tux trail is closed between miles 2.5 and 5.5 (Airey Lake) for bridge replacements. They had a bridge inspector come down who said some of the bridges had to be replaced. Be advised that there is no sign at the beginning of the trail to let you know. You are merrily hiking along and you reach an area closed sign saying violators may be prosecuted.

If you are wanting to thru hike, drive north about 20 more miles and enjoy the Black Creek Trail. I haven't been on it lately so you may want to call the Desoto National Forrest office in Wiggins before heading out to make sure there are no closures on it.

When the Tux closure signs are gone, I will post again.

Happy Trails!

Closed signs are still there but forestry office is telling people they can go thru. Just know the bridges are still gone. It's fine in dry conditions. Creeks are small. I wouldn't want to try it after lots of rain.

Closed signs are gone. The bridges that were taken out between 2 1/2 and 5 mile section have not been replaced. Don't try this section after heavy rainfall.
    Also, you might want to know there is an alternative route around non-bridged water crossing near POW. Look for the surveyor's tape, blue I think. Route takes you over a grate.

Basically things are still the same on the Tux Trail. Plan to get wet crossing creeks.

The boardwalk at 9 1/2 m. right before the picnic table has been partially destroyed. you can get thru in dry conditions. The previously mentioned bridges are still out.

Bridge conditions remain the same. Most of the trail is best attempted in dry conditions.

Trail conditions have improved since my last post. The boy scouts have repaired the long boardwalk by the picnic table at the 9 1/2 mile point. The same boy scouts also repaired a short boardwalk at the 1 mile point. There are still 3 unbridged water crossings, one at mile 3, one at mile 4, and one at mile 11. We are in drought conditions at the moment, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting thru.

++ New Posts ++