WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Boots, not sure what to really get.

So the end of the line is I'm not sure what I really do know about boots. Vibram, Goretex, Leather, Synthetic, Light, Heavy.

I just invested in a pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV's, and they're heavy and hot. They aren't broken in yet, but I have 2 months. I'm started a SOBO in the end of June, and I really need some advice on how to really do boots.

At first I didn't want to have to change my boot the whole thru hike; but I'd rather have comfortable feet. And I have a pair of moab's that still have life in them, probably 200 or so miles. But in the end I'm more concerned with weight, foot comfort and my knee's.

I spent 275 on these, but if I could get by with two pairs of lighter boots for 300 bucks I'd drop the extra change.

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks folks.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I am really not in suggesting specific brands, but rather types.

For a person used to boots and likes something burlier, try a low-cut hiking shoes with more heft to it than a trail runner.

Keens, Hi-tec and other brands make these cross-over type shoes.

Since everyone's foot is different (narrow, wide, etc.), I'd go to a nearby outfitter and try on different shoes. Any competent person there should be able to assist picking a shoe that work for you.

Good luck!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

beware of lowcuts when carrying a pack. Its easy to twist an ankle.Personally, i always wear a higher boot when packing,but, thats just my opinion

I'm looking for a mid cut boot. Here's my issue, I'm 5'7, 130. With a pack on I weigh 150 right now (roughly) and I'm trying to figure out if anyone has had significant problems with the lugs coming detached or the sort. I know the boots fit my feet well.

I'm really considering Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid's, or Merrell Chameleon 3 Mids. The weight reduction is significant for me considering my size and weight. But I'm afraid to fork out money on a pair of chameleons especially if they wont last at least 800 miles. Has anyone here had any experience with these two models?

Images

I currently hike in low-top Lowa's, a bit heavy but solid, durable, great shoes. I weigh 235 plus a 30 lb pack.

Just ordered New Balance 876's, have a wide foot, not a ton of options, in my opinion lighter is better, with about 25,000 steps per day, makes a big difference.

Am DONE with hiking boots on the AT.

I too am considering dumping hiking boots. I always get shin splints when wearing boots for some reason, weight maybe?

I may look at the low cut Lowa's.

I wonder what has specifically led you to consider those two models?

Get your feet measured and analayzed by a certified hiking shoe rep first! If these models will fit your type of feet try them on while wearing your hiking socks, bring your pack with you to the store and put in the pack the wt you will most closely consistently hike with, put it on, and walk around the store. The idea is to try the shoes out in the store under the same conditions as you will encounter on the trail backpacking. Stretch, jog, tip toe, walk up and down an incline ramp if they have one. Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of questions, to the shoe rep. Ask yourself how they feel. Any hot spots/rubbing/discomfort. Think about how they will work OR not work for you. Take your time. It's your money. Your hike. The comfort and health of your feet(that's right health of your feet!), possibly other parts of your body, are on the line! Not getting qualified service, go somewhere else. Be willing to try other models and brands. Ask about return policy should you later find they simply don't work for you. I know some orthotics can be expensive but consider exchanging stock orthotics for after market orthotics to tweak the shoe characteristics to match your feet characteristics! Dial it in!

I have used the Merrell Moab Low Cut Ventilators non water proof. I have not experienced or am aware of anyone else that has had issues with lugs 'coming off?'

There are many factors that can involve how many miles a pair of shoes will last. Durabilty may differ from person to person. How, where, etc people use them and terrain, etc can play a role in durabilty. However, IMO, I thought the Moab Ventilator low - cuts were not a particularly fragile shoe! They have lasted, for me, under the conditions I have used them, for 800 miles.

I wear Asolo Fugitive GTX's (mid boots) and absolutely love them, but they do have their limitations concerning water. For one, the gore-tex takes forever to dry, so if the water gets in, it's going to stay in. Two, when they get wet, they're very heavy. I want to lose a little more weight and gain a little more confidence in my ankle strength before switching to hiking shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by 44terryberry View Post
    beware of lowcuts when carrying a pack. Its easy to twist an ankle.Personally, i always wear a higher boot when packing,but, thats just my opinion
    Not necessarily so, grasshopper .

I will agree, however, that a newbie hiker with no to few miles on his/her feet should probably not go out and buy the lightest low top shoes on the market.
    It takes time to strengthen ankles and feet, so beginning with more supportive boots might be a good idea (though not necessarily for everyone). Once you've been hiking a while (like hundreds of miles) you might consider lighter footwear, but only after you've lightened your pack as much as you can.
    FWIF: That's my current opinion, which seems to change on a fairly regular basis .

I will stand solidly behind this statement, however, "If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it!" It's likely to get worse, not better. This is from years of "hoping it gets better" .
    Last edited by Tinker; 05-04-2011 at 07:40. Reason: added text
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 44terryberry View Post
    This is a common opinion, and I used to think so, too. But my personal experience with "real" backpacking boots and trail runners made me change my mind.

To the OP: I had the Asolo 520 boots, and they were very nice. But I would not hike in them anymore. Too hot, too stiff, too many blisters.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

To add to the post above, hot boots encourage blisters. Waterproof/breathable membranes make any boot hotter in less than cold weather. I have some old Gore-tex boots which now see limited use landscaping or cold weather hiking (they still take forever to dry out once they get wet - which they will, because our little feet have more sweat glands than any other part of the body with the same surface area).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

For years I hiked in high-cut boots and shoes and then I read Ray Jardine's ultralight stuff and thought I would try low-cut shoes. It was like a miracle for me. Something about boots changes my gait. The shoes let me use the full range of motion of my legs and ankles to climb hills. I've never twisted an ankle, rolled my ankle or anything. I never went back to high-cut.

I tried goretex shoes once. I had to get rid of them quickly. Shoes are the wrong application for goretex in my opinion. It locks your sweat in making for miserable walking conditions and if you get water inside while walking through a creek, the water will never come out and the shoes will never dry.

People love to toss out brand names in topics like this. I'm beginning to suspect there are a half-dozen factories in China making all the shoes and the gear companies just put their labels and designs on them. So rather than worry about the brand, I think it is better to worry about the fit. Make sure there is absolutely no constricting of your forefoot. Your toes have to have complete room to splay wide when going down hill or you'll get blisters and the shoes must be a lot wider and longer than most salespeople will recommend or else you'll get neuromas and more blisters.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I know with absolute confidence that Merrell Moab's fit my feet 100% great. I've been wearing them for nearly a year, EVERY day, work, snow, rain or shine. This is my major consideration for the Merrell brand specifically, they've been the most comfortable footwear of my life.

Merrell offers Moab's without goretex I believe.

On the trail would you prefer a shoe that is waterproof, not waterproof (I have a pair of shoes for fording rivers in Maine and what not.) Obviously it seems that most people don't seem to care much about Goretex.

I just completed a work project in Nev and am looking forward to some trail time.

My plans are to hike SOBO on the PCT from Chester Ca to Truckee with WP Keen Targhees and gaitors starting in 2 wks. I'm going too see how deep the snow is! Still, LOTS of snow, route finding, post holing, very cool night temps is my best guess, especially south of Quincy. Probably little rain. But, have to see in about 10 days how I will gear up. Might have to get off the PCT if the going is too rough. If the going is OK I'll continue on the Tahoe Rim Trail hiking the eastern shore first with the WP Targhees. If that's a no go heading to the CDT in New Mexico heading NOBO with non - WP light wt breathable Montrail Sabinos trail runners but keeping an eye on the water volume/level in the Gila River. I'll get wet or take the high route.

Cold, snow, wet, I like WP membrane(doesn't have to be GoreTex!). Not so cold, possibly wet, late Spring, summer, early fall, if it's hot - non-WP. Even though it may seem futile to some I try keeping me feet warm, but not hot, and dry as long as possible.

Images

Boots, are a subjective thing. I can says that gortex is really not needed unless your walking in very cold temps. Goretex boots take for ever to dry, and if you are like me very very hot. Comfort , weight, and durability are the things I look for. I have always had good luck with Hi-tec, not the most high end brand but they have worked well for me. The boots I have are just one step up from trail shoes, but not mountaineering boots. For waterproofing your boots I have had good luck with Nikwax. my 2 cents

Images

Default fit, feel

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I will stand solidly behind this statement, however, "If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it!" It's likely to get worse, not better. This is from years of "hoping it gets better" .
    SO, true. I think it used to be something where real boots were worn in and did get better with time. However, today's hiking shoes are meant to fit, and its in the fit that you get greater stability, instead of the high cut leather and lacing and platform sole. A good hiking shoe should fit perfect the minute you put it on.

The lighter boots/shoes do just fine, but I do think you have to be aware of how much you're going to torque the shoe, which has a lot to do with how heavy you are, including the pack. Some of the lighter shoes have a great sole but have a real flexible (i.e. breathable) upper. For me, I need the shoe to stay wrapped on my foot when on rocks and roots, mostly when going downhill, but I also don't want it to be too tight when hiking on flat areas and I don't want to adjust it on the fly. A lot of the lighter shoes these days feel great when you put them on, so you do need to put them through a test as much as possible before thinking the fit is perfect.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FangZandith View Post
    I know with absolute confidence that Merrell Moab's fit my feet 100% great. I've been wearing them for nearly a year, EVERY day, work, snow, rain or shine. This is my major consideration for the Merrell brand specifically, they've been the most comfortable footwear of my life.

Merrell offers Moab's without goretex I believe.

On the trail would you prefer a shoe that is waterproof, not waterproof (I have a pair of shoes for fording rivers in Maine and what not.) Obviously it seems that most people don't seem to care much about Goretex.
    I presume you have the Moab Ventilators...yes?...no? Have you worn these in winter?...in snow?...in the rain? How easily do they dry out? I have a pair, but have not hiked in the wet yet.

Interested to hear more.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Look at them! In person. In a pic. Get beyond the color scheme! For now, get beyond the price! Why does Merrel call them Moab Ventilators? What are they trying to convey? What type of feet are they made for? What type of hiking were they designed for? Ask yourself if they could be used effectively FOR YOU ON AN AT HIKE! If in person try them out. What are your impressions?

Merrell Moab Ventilators non-WP, regarding above questions:

Consider: These are in the trail runner/light wt low cut hiker category. Lightly brushed Dura leather upper for increased protection, support, and increased durabilty. Upper also made from mesh. Mesh gives greater breathabilty and enhances drying time compared to all leather upper trail runners or light hikers. From personal use, IMO, the mesh breathes resonably well for a trail runner but isn't the most breatable or fastest to dry when compared to lighter wt meshes or in trail runners with more extensive mesh. Though, this mesh seems more durable than some other meshes used in lighter wt running or trail running shoes. Find the balance! IMO, just as advertised, it's a trailrunner or light wt low cut hiker with above avg durability, above avg protection all around(underfoot it's very good), with decent dry times! Dry times can be really subjective though!

Will they dry faster than a full leather upper shoe? I would say, Yes. Could they possibly dry slower than a shoe with lighter wt more extensively used but possibly less durable mesh or with a thinner synthetic upper? I would say, Yes. Could your hiking style, weather patterns, on trail conditions, how you treat your shoes, what socks you wear, if you wear gaitors, etc effect how fast the Moab ventolators dry? I would say, Yes.

They don't call them Moabs just because it's a catchy name. They are trail runners/low cut hikers designed to address typical hiking issues found in the Moab Utah area, or so the theory goes - enhanced breathability, decent(OK) upper protection, greater durabilty, especially in key areas that might be prone to damage from abrasive sandstone, etc The sole gives good support and protection from sharp rocks underfoot. IMO, it's a durable decently cushioned supportive sole FOR MY FEET for a trail runner/low cut low wt hiker. Does that mean they wouldn't work just fine on the AT? Of course not!

Consider: On the AT, during 3 season hiking, you'll encounter rain, some of it prolonged and/or heavy at times, much well maintained softer thread, but some roly poly rocky stretches, and some sharp edged rocky sections/areas, less intense sun exposure, more of a forested hike overall.

YOU have to find the balance in a hiking shoe and hiking style that works for YOU!

How fast a shoe dries is not always such a clear cut issue!

One more note: in my real world hiking use, FOR ME, PERHAPS NOT TRUE FOR ALL SHOES OR FOR ALL PEOPLE, the fastest drying shoes, which were typically very light wt shoes, typically designed extensively with mesh or lighter wt materials, are shoes that disintegrated in a very short time, like less than 500 miles(that's not good enough durability in a low cut low wt hiking shoe FOR ME!), and were certainly not as supoortive or protective as slightly heavier more durable shoes.

That's enough rambling. If you want to hear(read) more buy the book.

++ New Posts ++