WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ZPacks Cuben Fiber Stuff Sacks

I just received my package from Joe at ZPacks which included a few more cuben fiber stuff sacks. I was able to drop just a few oz by replacing some of the product's supplied stuff sacks with the lighter weight cuben fiber stuff sacks, so that is cool.

Joe's stuff sacks are really great. Lightweight, and actually not that expensive. If you compare his stuff sacks to other stuff sacks which are around the same size, the price isn't really that much more, so why not go with the cuben? I have been very happy with mine so far.

Anyway, here is a write up of the sacks I replaced and how much I saved off of each one and a video.

Cuben Fiber Stuff Sacks = Less Weight
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Joe has the best priced cuben stuff sacks that I'm aware of.

Joe does have some good priced cuben fiber pieces of gear! He's creative too. He's putting together some good things over at ZPacks. I wonder how well his .51(.6) wt Cuben tarps are holding up long term? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Stick, I guess the amount of wt saved by going with cuben stuff sacks is really dependent on the types of fabrics and wts of the stuff sacks one started out with. Don't yet want to commit to trading out some of my still in excellent condition UL wt spinnaker stuff sacks or quite durable Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Cordura food sacks that are virtually WP to go with all cuben for all my stuff sack uses, but I get the idea. I got some cuben sacks in the gear kit now.

Remember spinnaker? That other wonderkind fabric of the UL community. It wasn't too long ago that was the rage! Oh, the UL merry-go-round keeps spinning. If it's lighter wt even if that wt is not significant or noticeable in one's ability to hike, got to have it. LOL!

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

Default Are the cuben sacks waterproof?

I am thinking about using a cuben sack for my bear bag. Are they waterproff?
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Haha... good points dogwood. I guess I am too new to remember the craze over Spinnaker, and I am sure that I am only catching the tail end of the cuben craze. I have only been sucked into this addiction for just over 2 years now. The only spinnaker piece I have is a stake stuff sack that I got from OES when I bought my tarp. It is interesting though.

And I agree, Joe is got it going on over there. I also got him to make me a cf dry sack pack liner which I will do a video on sometime soon. Gotta say it is sweet though! Works perfect with my Circuit!
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Quote Originally Posted by Stats on the AT View Post
    Yes, cuben is very waterproof, but in order for it to be 100% waterproof, it needs to be a dry sack (with a rolled top, not a cinch top like a regular stuff sack), this way water cannot sneak in through the top. Lawson Kline over at Lawson Outdoor Equipment makes some really sweet dry sacks made from cuben fiber, unfortunately he only has some 8x16 dry sacks in stock at the moment. However, right now you can pick one of those up for $13! If you want to try one, now would be a great time to do so!

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stats on the AT View Post
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=148

I ordered a pair of the large to use as bear bags for that reason.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I have only been sucked into this addiction for just over 2 years now. - Stick

It had me going crazy UL for awhile!

I hope your Circuit is made from Cuben! LOL! Thanks Stick. Now you got me thinking about wts of various Cuben. I hope you are happy.

Images

you'll have one of his blast packs before you leave springer...

he's an awesome dude with awesome gear. own a number of his items

nice vid.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STICK View Post
    Yes, cuben is very waterproof, but in order for it to be 100% waterproof, it needs to be a dry sack (with a rolled top, not a cinch top like a regular stuff sack), this way water cannot sneak in through the top. Lawson Kline over at Lawson Outdoor Equipment makes some really sweet dry sacks made from cuben fiber, unfortunately he only has some 8x16 dry sacks in stock at the moment. However, right now you can pick one of those up for $13! If you want to try one, now would be a great time to do so!
    I have a pile of Joe's stuff sacks too.

Be sure to seam seal them if you want them to be waterproof..

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    you'll have one of his blast packs before you leave springer...

he's an awesome dude with awesome gear. own a number of his items
    Unless you're carrying as much as you'd carry in a Catalyst or Circuit get a Blast 26. The Blast 32 is like a big piece of Samsonite luggage - it's *huge*. The upper side pockets are an awesome option to add as well.

Smaller than the Blast 26 I'd go with the Gossamer Gear Murmer - it's about 1/4 the price and still weighs pretty much nothing. Carries well too.

I have a pile of Joe's stuff sacks too.

Be sure to seam seal them if you want them to be waterproof.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=148

I ordered a pair of the large to use as bear bags for that reason.

They were at trail days this year and we got two large ones, but for use in our packs for clothes, jacket, etc.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Amazing products and amazing people = One amazing comany! I've owned both ULA and MLD and it's hard to imagine the "bar" being set higher than those, but Joe and Zpacks is the "gold standard"!

10-K, I haven't seam sealed the stuff sacks since they wouldn't be fully waterproof anyway with the top opening. However, Joe did make me a dry sack pack liner with a roll-top closure and I did seal it. I figure with my cuben pack cover, the dyneema pack, and then the cuben dry sack pack liner, the stuff inside should be ok. I imagine if water got in this far it would have to be a lot of water to make it's way inside the cuben stuff sacks...that's just me though.

Thanks for the tip on the Blast packs. I am really wanting to get a smaller capacity pack for my summer gear , however, that base weight will only be around 10 pounds and I don't foresee it getting more than maybe a pound, two at the very most, lighter.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I am also a big user of zPacks Cuben fiber stuffsacks. I'd be interested in a dry-bag closure someday.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Joe is a class act and I have a few pieces by him. (custom tent bag, cuben pack cover, cuben stake bag, etc.)

I really wanted a dry bag for my food though and went with

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...bags-p508.html

Looks like mountainfitters stuff is mostly sold-out, but it really is a very good quality bag.

Kerosene, I have a video on YouTube of my ZPACKS cf dry sack pack liner and will put it up on my blog later today. Keep in mind though that Joe sews his cuben rather than tape it so it needs to be seam sealed to make it completely waterproof. I seam sealed mine and it was quite easy.

Joe, Lawson is in the process of rebuilding his business. He has dropped the name Mountainfitter and went with Lawson Outdoor Equipment. He is currently working on his new cuben tarp line up. Hopefully once he gets those in order he will start taking orders for more of his dry sacks. However, he does still have a few 8x16s left for $13 (I think).

++ New Posts ++