WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Nemo Obi 1P backyard observations...

Hi all,

I had a chance to set up and look over the new Nemo Obi 1P tent on Saturday, so I thought I'd take a few pix and make some backyard setup observations, especially in light of the Obi 2P I reviewed a while back. (FYI, I did not have a tent-specific footprint, so in the pix I just used a Kelty footprint I had lying around).

The over-all design and execution are, as to be expected, very similar to the Obi 2P, with a few exceptions: one door and vestibule, vs. two, the ability to fully peel back both sections of the door side vestibule for excellent ventilation in clear and/or hot weather, and no zipper fly venting option, like in the 2P. Instead, you get an always open side vent in place of the second door/vestibule of the 2P. You cannot access this area from inside the tent, but due to the high cut-out of the fly, it would most likely provide little weather protection for gear, so it is a mute point. The design seems a reasonable compromise to keep cool air flowing through the tent.

The 1P has similar internal pockets as the 2P, (including the ceiling pocket with the light dispersing material), as well as snaps and loops for the optional pawprint and gear caddy. The 1P also shares the 2P's ability to attach the sides of the tent to the fly to increase internal volume. In the 1P, however, Nemo chose to include only one clip, on the left side of the fly, to volumize the tent. Fortunately, they provided a tie out on the door side of the tent body so you can employ a guyline/stake to fully increase the internal volume. This makes a huge difference in the internal volume, even more so than in the 2P, due to the very narrow tapering of the walls in the 1-person configuration. I do wish Nemo had included a clip on the door side of the fly, but at least you have the option to use a guyline/stake.

The vestibule in the 1P appears much larger than a single vestibule in the 2P. This appears to be due to the tent body being much narrower and also longer than that of the 2P. Needless to say, you'll have more than enough room for your pack, boots, cooking etc. I think you might even be able to pull in another person in an emergency. Good stuff.

So here is how the 1P measured out:

Trail weight: 2lbs, 8.2 oz (Nemo specs 2lbs, 8oz)

All internal tape measure readings approx but reasonably accurate:

Internal floor length, 88" as spec'd by Nemo
    Internal floor width at the head of tent, 39"
    Internal floor width at shoulder zone, 36"
    Internal floor width at mid-point, 32"
    Internal floor width at foot, 29'
    Side walls, mid-point, fully volumized, shoulder level, 29"
    Internal height, mid point, 39”

Overall, the internal space is very nice for one person, with plenty of length for a 6' + person, and enough room to sit up, jockey around and not feel like you're in a coffin. But if you don't volumize, then you'll feel pretty cramped.

Now some picks...

In the 2P, the main wall at the head of the tent body has a loop along with a clip at the fly, that when connected and used with a guyline on the fly, helps against wind deflection across that large expanse of fabric. Interestingly, the Nemo 1P has the loop on the tent body and a loop on the fly, but no clip to connect them. If you really wanted/needed, you could always rig up a solution with a bit of guyline, but as the size of the tent wall on the 1P is smaller than that of the 2P, I think that wind deflection is less of an issue. I bring this up, however, because one feature that Nemo left out from the 1P was not providing loops at the bottom mid-point of each side of the tent body, like they did in the 2P. This helped to further increase the volume of the tent and allowed for easy one-hand operation of the doors, but more importantly, kept the walls taut against wind deflection at the mid-point of the tent body. Not having them in the 1P seems like a real over-site, as wind deflection on the side walls is exaggerated due to the narrower dimensions of a 1-person tent. I would much rather see Nemo forgo the loop on the tent body head wall all together, and then add it and one more at each of the the lower mid-point side walls like in the 2P. Small over site, but in really windy weather, could make a huge difference.

Those two complaints aside, I’d say Nemo hit the nail on the head with the Obi 1P. It packs small, sets up quick and taut, weighs just 2lbs, 8oz trail weight, has a large vestibule, more than enough room to comfortably protect one person and overall seems buttoned down for both good and bad weather alike. I like it, surprisingly more than the 2-person version. Sure the Obi 2P has larger internal dimensions, 2 doors/vestibules and more elaborate venting options (dual zipper vents), and seems a better deal, especially when you get this extra space and features for for just $40 more and a mere 6 oz penalty. But the Obi 1P actually does what it is designed to do in the pure sense of the word. It will hold 1-person comfortably, with little to no compromise. Period. I cannot say the same about the Obi 2P, which to me is too small internally for two people to comfortably co-exist, and thus misses the 2-person tent ideal. In that context, the 1P seems the better tent. I just wish it was priced at about $299, because at $349, it just might be too expensive to justify over the Obi 2P, regardless of its better over-all execution, and it might also have a hard time competing against the identically priced, but larger and lighter Big Agnes Fly Creek 2P, especially when used as a single person shelter.

Cheers!

Images

Thanks for such a thorough review. I've been interested in the Obi1P, and especially the "Elite" version. I've been debating this tent vs. the Big Agnes Copper Creek UL1.

I find the guyline to increase internal volume on the Vestibule side a disappointment... really takes away from the usability of the vestibule from the looks of it... you say the tent body "could" be clipped to the rainfly if a clip were provided?

Is the clip something Nemo can offer after sale?

How, volume-wise, do you think it compares to an MSR Hubba... ie, does the Obi1P feel as tight as the Hubba?

Thanks.

Images

This makes far more sense to me:

@Bradmt...

Your pic above is how the fly clip on the non door side attaches to the tent body to increase volume. Clean. But the fly does not have this cable/clip system on the door side of the Obi 1P (the 2P does). You must use a guyline/stake as show in my pix to increase the volume on both sides of the tent body. While a bit of a disappointment, I think that using a guyline and stake really isn't that big of a drawback. You can still easily put packs and boots in the vestibule while doing so and it is not in a place where you're apt to trip over it. No biggie. You can't really add a clip to the fly, unless you are good at sewing and are willing to void Nemo's lifetime warranty.

As far as the Hubba is concerned, I believe that Nemo has done a better job at making their Obi 1P feel roomy and non-claustrophobic than the MSR. Part of this has to do with the over-all floor plan shape of the Obi 1P, which is wider at the head, narrowing to the foot, while the Hubba is basically a simple rectangle. And while the walls on the Hubba are essentially vertical, I believe the Obi 1P has more width at the elbow and shoulder area, due to the wider floor plan and the ability to volumize as mentioned in my review above. Certainly, the Obi 1P specs at 21 sq ft. vs. the Hubba's 17 sq ft., but of course costs about $100 more. If you have a need for a 1P and have the money, you should certainly check on out and see if it meets your needs.

What I meant to say is, you must use a guyline/stake on the door side of the tent if you wish to increase the volume on both sides of the tent body. The non-door side has the built in fly clip to attach to the tent body. If you look at picture 9, you can see it through the mesh side-wall.

Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, it is clear the reason Nemo chose not to add a clip to the door side fly/vestibule is due to the Obi 1P's ability to fully tie back both sides of the fly (see pic 10 above) for increased ventilation options (or star gazing on clear, calm nights).

As the design edict of the Obi series is, in their own words, to have "not an ounce of wasted material, with every feature and detail driven by purpose and strategy", I'd say eliminating this feature on the door side fly/vestibule makes sense, especially since you can easily utilize a short bit of guyline and a stake with the door tie out loops to do the same thing. Again, in no way a deal breaker in my mind and seems a smart design choice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Limeman View Post
    it is clear the reason Nemo chose not to add a clip to the door side fly/vestibule is due to the Obi 1P's ability to fully tie back both sides of the fly
    That's what I was thinking when I first saw it. Unfortunately I find it a poor design idea and it is a deal breaker for me. It essentially renders useless a good portion of the vestibule's space. I can see a lot of potential problems with the design.

I "get" why they're using side pullouts to add internal volume rather than a cross-strut like the Copper Spur... But I'd rather have had the two-ish ounce weight penalty of a cross strut that accomplishes the same but without guys. In a way, the tent is not a true free-standing tent with such critical reliance on pull-outs for volume.

Will add, the other thing that has had me on the fence about all NEMO tents is the super-vibrant color. Back in the 70's when I started backpacking that sort of color was the norm. I find intense colors unsettling to live in. Subtle, gentler colors are more soothing to live in and have become more the norm in recent years, which for me is a good thing.

As a marketing scheme, it's obviously a smart thing for NEMO tents to stand-out visually (including the big, goofy logo). But as a customer I'm happy not to pay for their advertising and suffer a color that bugs me.

While I appreciate the many excellent design ideas on this tent, it has enough mitigations for me to pass. But we all have different limits as to what we will accept and reject mitigation-wise, eh?

Again, I can't thank you enough for such a thorough and objective review... it made my mind up.

Kindest Regards,

Brad

Images

PS, I'm a bit harsh on the logo and that likely is unwarranted... BUT it could be smaller.

To be clear again, Nemo deploys the cross strut on the non-door vesibule (left side) of the tent. As the door-side (right) vestibule appears to be quite large and long (especially in comparison to the Obi 2P), unless you plan to stuff more than just your gear (such as a friends pack, boots, and more, you will not run into issues by having deployed a guyline/stake to further volumize the tent from the right side. I will see if I can get the tent again and setup so I can take some pix with gear in the vestibule to show what I mean, but you can easily pass your pack, etc. underneath the deployed guyline, so the space is not really impacted. Further, the volume of the tent might be satisfactory to you with just the left-side strut deployed? I would say check the Obi out if you can before you let my pix and description dissuade you. I'll see what I can do to get the tent back for more pix. Oh... the color is not garish in person. If you want that, look to the new TNF tents!

Images

I'm perfectly clear on the system... the Obi doesn't use a "cross strut"... it uses an internal guying system to "volumize" it. The one opposite the door attaches to the fly via a clip, the one on the door side is essentially a typical staked guy. I'm just not impressed.

As to color, I'm never said anything about garish or non-garish, I'm talking about an "oppressive" internal (not external) atmosphere created by a very vibrant color. I prefer a subtler color to live in, especially if cooped up during inclement weather. Everyone is different as anyone's interior house paints will tell you...

Got it. All good.

Anyway.. saw this today and thought you might be interested:

http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes...erson-3-season

Copper Spur UL1 for $315...

Cheers!

Images

Packed weight is 3lbs, 3oz?

One thing I do NOT like about these designs is the single walled portion of the inner tent as it will collect condensation. If I had to deal with this, I would look at a true single walled design that is considerably lighter. Not into these hybrid double walled shelters. Okay at most things, master of none.

Images

Thanks for posting the pics, BTW.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Limeman View Post
    Got it. All good.

Anyway.. saw this today and thought you might be interested:

http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes...erson-3-season

Copper Spur UL1 for $315...

Cheers!
    Limeman, again thanks for the excellent review.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Packed weight is 3lbs, 3oz?

One thing I do NOT like about these designs is the single walled portion of the inner tent as it will collect condensation. If I had to deal with this, I would look at a true single walled design that is considerably lighter. Not into these hybrid double walled shelters. Okay at most things, master of none.
    FG, all double wall tents, with or without mesh ceiling, will collect condensation... depending on the variables.

I have a "true" single wall tent... Black Diamond Firstlight. In the right conditions it will have condensation, but generally it's quite breathable. However, it weighs 3lbs and has no vestibule. I miss a good vestibule which is what got my looking for a new 1P tent. I also prefer a side-entry door.

At the end of the day I may just get a TT Rainbow... not freestanding, but doesn't claim to be either.

I wear bicycle clothing the color of that tent so I won't get hit by a car. I can't see Nemo's reasoning behind their color choice (other than not being like everyone else). Hey, it's not a Kawasaki motorcycle.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I have the NEMO Asashi four person tent, and like all NEMO products it is bomb proof.

My two cents

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    FG, all double wall tents, with or without mesh ceiling, will collect condensation... depending on the variables.

I have a "true" single wall tent... Black Diamond Firstlight. In the right conditions it will have condensation, but generally it's quite breathable. However, it weighs 3lbs and has no vestibule. I miss a good vestibule which is what got my looking for a new 1P tent. I also prefer a side-entry door.

At the end of the day I may just get a TT Rainbow... not freestanding, but doesn't claim to be either.
    Hey Brad - what I was referring to was the exposed single walled portion of the inner tent. Because it is the only line of defence against the dew point, it will collect condensation that may wet your bag (maybe). With something like, say the Hubba (only as an example), there is the extra protection of the double mesh wall. In this case the fly takes the hit from condensation.

I know why Nemo did it - to save weight. But you know me: If I need to 'deal' with the foot and head end of the Nemo, then I would want the Elite version to save the most weight.

Now get your check book out and order one already.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    I believe you can make the TT Rainbow freestanding with your trekking poles, which is a nice option.

I know this is the 1P thread but I have done two trips with the 2P so far. I'll be adding to that thread soon.

At 5-10 I find the 2P just too short for my tastes. The sloped walls in the foot box make it feel even shorter, especially if you had two people in there. If a solo, you could center yourself to avoid the sloping. I see the 1P is 3 inches longer (87 vs 84 inches). IMO, that is a big deal. I never thought at 5-10 that the length of a tent would be an issue. The whole world is designed around 5-10.

I had the pleasure of chatting with Connie and Suzanne at Trail Days. I am now leaning towards the Losi 2p or even 3p as a shelter for myself and my daughter. I'll just eat the weight difference as I don't consider such trips as light weight anyway.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++