Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My hair is completely straight and now just passed shoulder-length. I'm planning on keeping it at small ponytail length while I'm out on the trail. I also planned on bringing, as someone else mentioned, one of those little folding brushes. My hair in tangles drives me nuts. My hair also gets super greasy super fast. I can't take a shower at night, because by the middle of the next morning, it's grease again. I figured, since it rains so much on the trial anyways, I would keep a travel-size bottle of shampoo and some soap in the waist belt of my pack and wash in the rain! Gotta see the silver lining in everything, even days of non-stop rain, lol...
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

Images

Ditto on the 45 minutes to comb through when I get lazy! Conditioner a must - just a few more ounces of weight to carry. I like the idea of braiding it. Thanks. Otherwise, may just cut it short for next hike.

Images

I have very thin, curly medium-length hair that I don't mind chopping off- but I'm afraid if I cut it off, I won't be able to braid it, and braiding seems to be the preferable hair style for dirty hiking hair. What I'm worried about is dreading! My hair tangles and knots up after one day of not washing. Also, brushing it when it's dry/tangled is nearly impossible (I've broken many a comb/brush in my day). Does anyone have any advice to save my hair from dreading? So far I've heard that I'll just have to accept the fact.

Images

I have very thin, curly medium-length hair that I don't mind chopping off- but I'm afraid if I cut it off, I won't be able to braid it, and braiding seems to be the preferable hair style for dirty hiking hair. What I'm worried about is dreading! My hair tangles and knots up after one day of not washing. Also, brushing it when it's dry/tangled is nearly impossible (I've broken many a comb/brush in my day). Does anyone have any advice to save my hair from dreading? So far I've heard that I'll just have to accept the fact.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TammyLynn View Post
    My hair is completely straight and now just passed shoulder-length. I'm planning on keeping it at small ponytail length while I'm out on the trail. I also planned on bringing, as someone else mentioned, one of those little folding brushes. My hair in tangles drives me nuts. My hair also gets super greasy super fast. I can't take a shower at night, because by the middle of the next morning, it's grease again. I figured, since it rains so much on the trial anyways, I would keep a travel-size bottle of shampoo and some soap in the waist belt of my pack and wash in the rain! Gotta see the silver lining in everything, even days of non-stop rain, lol...
    this is a reallllly good idea! does it make me a super diva if i bring conditioner, too

2012 NOBO AT Hiker In Planning Hairball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maren View Post
    I am female, and I have crazy curly with a mind all its own. For me, cutting it all off is a simple solution. I already have short hair so braids aren't an option. I look at it as one less thing to worry about.
    I have the same hair and am considering doing the buzz cut also. Added bonus: checking for ticks got a lot easier. Bonus for me: I sweat a lot from my face and head and long thick hair just makes it 10 times worse. It's a relief not to have a bunch of hair to fuss with...for me anyway. To each her own

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Added bonus: checking for ticks got a lot easier. Bonus for me: I sweat a lot from my face and head and long thick hair just makes it 10 times worse. It's a relief not to have a bunch of hair to fuss with...for me anyway. To each her own
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post

If you do the tight braids like the African Americans do (not corn rows, but long small braids) those seem to last weeks before needing to be taken out. I don't have experience with them, just thought I'd throw that out there.
    This is true [I'm a Black woman with dreadlocks]. If you "microbraid" your hair, you can wash the braids regularly and thoroughly without needing to take them out for up to 6 weeks. You would rinse them every couple days in the shower or with clean clear water, and shampoo/condition them once a week. You have to braid them TIGHT, though. Getting microbraids is a half-day experience and, if you are not familiar with the process, you will be better off scheduling salon visits every 2 months in towns along the trail that have salons run by Black women.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

No way I'm cutting my hair. Long hair makes me feel great and hubby loves it. I do braids, pigtails, and ponytails when I'm hiking - also French braids work great. My hair will be around 5 inches or so below the shoulder for our next big hike, and I'll just make do. I too have the kind of hair that if washed the evening before, feels a bit greasy the next afternoon.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by J. Foolery View Post
    this is a reallllly good idea! does it make me a super diva if i bring conditioner, too
    It's all about the 2in1!! Even if I have to buy a big bottle and transfer it into little three ounce bottles, lol!
    -Tammy (a-ka) <><

Will Turner
    : This is either madness or brilliance.
    Captian Jack Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
    (POTC - The Curse of the Black Pearl)

Journal Entries
    Images

ohh please Bob - the girls are trying to help...

Try this

http://www.folica.com/hair-care/sham...al-dry-shampoo
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

CF97 > Everything Else.

Sorry I know this is the "No boys allowed" board... but I have thick shoulder length curly hair, I usually wear it pulled back in a bun. I am thinking of cutting it pretty short because on my last backpacking trip (two weeks on OT) my bun almost turned into a "bun lock." For me less maintenance is better.

Not to mention my forehead is getting bigger which thankfully most women don't have to worry.

Again, sorry for crashing your party.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

Journal Entries
    Images

If you're worried about oily hair, it's best to not use conditioner. The conditioner comes back out a day or two later and makes your hair greasy. Just bring a small container of detangler spray.

Was gonna say, there are plenty of guys with not only long hair, but long beards.

Not me, I comb with Gilette every couple days. If I go six months without combing, I get less then half an inch.

But i've got plenty of friends that have to take a good deal of time on their hair just to keep it, human.

Let my hair go for a year back in high school, didn't get over 4 inches.

Images

Do those of you with hair too short for ponytails wear caps or bandanas? Anything on your head?

Posting under Hubby's registration...thanks!

Images

I use an insect sheild Buff. Controls the hair, keeps ticks out of it.

Get a small travelling brush. Curly hair will be tricky. If you're planning on a thru hike, cut your hair, by the time you are done, your hair will be all grown back.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Librarygeek View Post
    I plan to cut my hair as short as I can stand before I start my thru. It grows fast, I'll grow it back out afterward.
    I'm with you! I have an appointment to get it cut very short on Monday! We hope to start Feb. 23!

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you ladies! Am wearing my hair long for the first time in my life and after 2 years of getting here don't want to cut it off. I like the No-poo ideas and the folding brush. I've been worried about scaring women, children and cute little animals while on the trail! I have just gotten to the point where the front hair reaches the pony tail so that's where it stays for now. Doesn't get greasy but it does get frizzy especially in high wind. I also don't like hats much.
    A Vegan/Gluten Free hiking family of three hiking the AT.

I work in a hair salon right now, and have really thick wavy/curly hair that is prone to dreading especially when I go to sleep. I don't want to cut my hair off because I'm in a wedding in late september, and well I just like it long! I plan on braiding and brushing it at night/morning. I started to use the brush with the mirror from walmart, but I can't really get it through my knots. So, I bought this Tangle Teezer from work. It works great, especially on wet hair! It also pulls apart into two pieces, so you could just use the part you needed and it only weighs in at 1oz! Hope this helps! Here's a photo, and a link to amazon http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-.../dp/B001S261Q6 Elite Salon Tangle Teezer Panther Black-500x500.jpg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++