Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I have long wavy hair, and alot of it. I put in a high pony tail with a hair tie. Then braided the rest and fastened with a hair tie. I wasn't hard to keep the scalp clean, just pour water on, and clean hair line at night. Lets you get behind the ears and neck easily. The braid was easy to keep clean, no bugs or leaves. I brought a plastic pick for those nights when I wanted to comb it out. The braid kept the hair managable, i.e. it wasn't snarled or matted.

I started with corn rows but found that the little stray hairs around the crown of the head to be annoying, also they were uncomfortable at night. And, it wasn't a good look for me :-)

Leave the mirror at home.

Images

Just wanted to chime in. I had long hair but just shaved my head to support a friend who lost her hair during chemo. I'm growing it right back out.

Previously, I would have never considered shaving my head - not in a million years - but I gotta say, it is really easy to maintain. If I was doing a thru hike, I'd definitely consider it. But I don't think I'd shave it at the start. The one thing I do notice is that my head is cold! I think I'd want some hair to keep my head warm through the colder start months of a north bound thru hike.

My hair was always gross on section hikes by day 2. Just horrible. I'm looking forward to not dealing with it this summer.

Just my two cents. Lots of good suggestions here.

I've been trying to try the whole no-poo thing just cause if it works it's the perfect combination of cheap and vain but I haven't been willing to go through the nasty hair period...I never thought to start it while I'm on the trail! thanks y'all

an another note: am i the only one who finds that when i undo braids my hair is a tangled mess -- so much snarlier than if id just gone the ponytail route? i love how braids keep my hair out of my face so i'd love to be able to braid my hair on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post

an another note: am i the only one who finds that when i undo braids my hair is a tangled mess -- so much snarlier than if id just gone the ponytail route? i love how braids keep my hair out of my face so i'd love to be able to braid my hair on the trail
    I'm the opposite. My hair is about 3" inches above my waist and sleeping in a loose braid keeps it decent. When hiking, I do a side ponytail, side braid, or two braids to keep it from getting snarled in my pack.

How do you braid your hair? I get the braid started then pull my hair above my head and braid until I get near the end, then pull it around to the side to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I'm the opposite. My hair is about 3" inches above my waist and sleeping in a loose braid keeps it decent. When hiking, I do a side ponytail, side braid, or two braids to keep it from getting snarled in my pack.

How do you braid your hair? I get the braid started then pull my hair above my head and braid until I get near the end, then pull it around to the side to finish.
    I usually just start it behind my head and then move it round to the side once i get to a point where I can...I don't know why but it always turns into a tangled knotted mess

Walmart, Sally's, CVS and most any place carries these too. They are great for detangling.

But here is my problem, lost a lot of my hair to cancer, it has now grown back, it is around just above my shoulder, but not all one length. I have bangs and my hair is wavy and thick. I have two cowlicks in the front and look frightening without bangs and resemble Medusa when I let my hair go on its own without combing.
    I too am one that gets oily hair without one day washing which after two days results in acne on my neck.
    Now what I have always done was just wash it daily with water pouring over my head. Add a little shampoo, rinse and then comb. But seriously in cold weather it's a hard ship.
    So I too am in serious need of some advice. I also have tried twisting my hair into little twists rows with tiny little clips holding them into place but that was when my hair was all one length, it does not work so easy now it has grown back out in various lengths all over my head.

Please, i am open to any suggestions here...I leave soon so really any help would be appreciated. The only thing I am not comfortable with is cutting it all off after working so hard to grow it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sass View Post
    I work in a hair salon right now, and have really thick wavy/curly hair that is prone to dreading especially when I go to sleep. I don't want to cut my hair off because I'm in a wedding in late september, and well I just like it long! I plan on braiding and brushing it at night/morning. I started to use the brush with the mirror from walmart, but I can't really get it through my knots. So, I bought this Tangle Teezer from work. It works great, especially on wet hair! It also pulls apart into two pieces, so you could just use the part you needed and it only weighs in at 1oz! Hope this helps! Here's a photo, and a link to amazon http://www.amazon.com/Tangle-Teezer-.../dp/B001S261Q6 Attachment 19442
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Walmart, Sally's, CVS and most any place carries these too. They are great for detangling.

But here is my problem, lost a lot of my hair to cancer, it has now grown back, it is around just above my shoulder, but not all one length. I have bangs and my hair is wavy and thick. I have two cowlicks in the front and look frightening without bangs and resemble Medusa when I let my hair go on its own without combing.
    I too am one that gets oily hair without one day washing which after two days results in acne on my neck.
    Now what I have always done was just wash it daily with water pouring over my head. Add a little shampoo, rinse and then comb. But seriously in cold weather it's a hard ship.
    So I too am in serious need of some advice. I also have tried twisting my hair into little twists rows with tiny little clips holding them into place but that was when my hair was all one length, it does not work so easy now it has grown back out in various lengths all over my head.

Please, i am open to any suggestions here...I leave soon so really any help would be appreciated. The only thing I am not comfortable with is cutting it all off after working so hard to grow it back.
    Long-distance hiking usually has a positive effect on your skin and scalp. I think you'll find it's much easier to go without shampooing when hiking than when at home. Also, you may find that after a few days/weeks you don't care anymore which is very liberating.

A lot of lady hikers tie a bandana around their head, keeping their hair off their face and helping to absorb sweat. It might also help to keep it slightly off your neck.

Have a great hike.

Thanks, the bandana thing might work. I sure hope I can get by without washing it everyday. Such a pain.

Leave soon for it, shipped my pack today to the lodge, that got me all charged up again.....I wish the day was here already!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Long-distance hiking usually has a positive effect on your skin and scalp. I think you'll find it's much easier to go without shampooing when hiking than when at home. Also, you may find that after a few days/weeks you don't care anymore which is very liberating.

A lot of lady hikers tie a bandana around their head, keeping their hair off their face and helping to absorb sweat. It might also help to keep it slightly off your neck.

Have a great hike.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

My hair is about mid back. Haven't used a comb or brush in years.I just run my fingers through it once in awhile. And I have long, curly red hair, so anything else would be easier to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXWaMi View Post
    I hesitated a few days ago to post this, but now that someone else has I'll confess. I haven't used shampoo in more than 2 years. My daughters have SUPER curly hair and shampoo was drying it out and they had frizz like crazy. Found a website called Naturally Curly .com and found the NoPoo method. No Shampoo! We only use Suave Naturals Conditioner now and it is AMAZING how much better our hair looks and feels. Some days I don't even use the conditioner, just water.
    I read about going shampoo-less on this forum several years ago and haven't used shampoo since. My hair is so much more manageable and softer, too. I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it seems to grow faster, too.

For hiking I wear braided pig tails on each side. I comb it out each night and rebraid it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If you are carrying a cell phone you can always use your camera in "reverse" as a mirror.
    I braid my hair in two loose braids but only braid my hair about half way down and leave the rest loose like a pony tail.
    I clip my bangs back.
    Each night I use a small comb to rebraid each braid one at a time and sleep with them in.
    I use a bit of bronners soap and water to sponge bathe each night and while I don't shampoo my whole head; soaping up my neck and around my ears keeps me feeling not so gross.
    I rebraid again in the morning.
    If my hair is at all damp it is usually dry, or dry enough, after sleeping on it all night.

Default dreads?

Hey, if I were to dread my hair, what would be needed to maintain it? Someone told me once that their hair got mold or something in the middle of the lock because it got and stayed wet. With the trail, I'll be wet often so want to avoid this problem. We're the dreadlocks on this frowns not done correctly or did they not maintain it?

When you were on the trail, did you stop in towns and shower with just hot water to clean your dreads, and about how often did you have to do that? Thanks!

My hair maintenance plan is simple.
    Buzz my head with a number one blade --which is close to being shaven.
    Do the same with my beard.
    Trim closely other area of my body that has hair.

Why do I use this method--
    One last thing to worry about and no need to carry a comb or brush.
    Absolutely easier to keep body clean.
    Much easier to look for ticks daily.
    It makes me sexy---lol

After a month I repeat the process by going to a barber shop during a day off the trail!!

[QUOTE=Different Socks;1160020]Ladies, I have curly hair which I simply used a "pick" on when I was younger and did the AT in 1992. Jump forward a decade or two and now my curls areo.o much longer.
    For those of you with long hair on the trail, how do you manage to carry along a brush? Is it in your pack all the time, in a bounce box, what?[/loQUOTE]

[QUOTE=yooperman;2189977]
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Ladies, I have curly hair which I simply used a "pick" on when I was younger and did the AT in 1992. Jump forward a decade or two and now my curls areo.o much longer.
    For those of you with long hair on the trail, how do you manage to carry along a brush? Is it in your pack all the time, in a bounce box, what?[/loQUOTE]
    For the moment, my hair is waist length but it’s not curly so half a comb is sufficient. It would be interesting to try removing the pad and bristles from the brush casing or maybe remove the handle with a saw.

My hair is very short now. I don't know why I decided to cut it but it really becomes easier to handle with it. The only problem is the shape of my hairstyle, it's really annoying me when it looks not like I want it to be. I use American Crew gel for styling my hair (found the recommendation here). It allows me to manage with my hair quick and just not to think about it during the whole day.

I don't have curly hairs but I use a brush instead of comb because it is hard to loose knots with combes.

Dreadlocks are sexy!

Default Detangling brush

I have waist length straight hair, which is loosely braided on trail. A bandana or buff comes in handy when it's windy to keep the stray strands out of my face.
    I like to take it out and give it a good brush each evening. It gives my scalp a good massage and brushes out any dust or dirt. Rebraiding in the morning helps reign in those pesky strays that just don't seem to stay put.

I use a girl's, palm held detangling brush. It is easier to use either wet or dry than a comb or brush and is easily washable.
    This is the one I use, but there are similar brushes available https://www.bigw.com.au/product/scun...rush/p/858987/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++