Default A Question of Panties

Hey all,
    I am a female who has just this year been introduced to the world of hiking by my boyfriend, who has been hiking the AT every year for a handful of years now. In a few days we are going to Harper's Ferry and beginning our two week long journey. Being new to all of this, and having only been camping once in my life, I have a question for you ladies that my boyfriend can't really answer for me:
    I get frequent bladder infections mostly because of the way my body is shaped down there, and most "quick dry" materials are not very breathable, such as spandex or nylon, and I am afraid of getting another infection. Still, I do want panties that won't soak up all of my sweat. Is there a kind of material that you have come across that works best?
    Thanks so much!

I do not wear underwear--too cumbersome to deal with on the trail. I will wear running shorts which have underwear in them and that has worked well for me. Without the running shorts, I go without.

Exofficio makes anti bacterial panties that are designed to keep you clean and dry for up to 12 days. I'd recommend washing them every chance you get, but they are comfortable, and if you get black ones they'll double as swim bottoms. They are quick dry, but extremely breathable.

Also, since you are leaving in a few days and probably dont have time to order online, I'm pretty sure they sell them at REI and a few other outfitters.

i also am very prone to UTIs. I take 3 pairs of undies: 2 to hike in, one for sleeping. My 2 hiking ones, i think, are exofficio. the key though is using a clean pantyliner every day. i clean off at the end of each day with a wet wipe and then change into my nighttime undies, which are cotton, allowing me to 'breathe' at night. i also take a cranberry pill every morning. make sure you drink tons of water, which will make you pee more, but that is how your body naturally cleans itself out... and that's how you avoid dehydration. good luck and have fun!!

All very helpful advice! Thank you guys. I'm going to try and see if I can get a couple of pairs of exofficios and make sure I bring plenty of AZO cranberry pills It will be soo much more enjoyable if getting a UTI is not something I need to worry about!

Images

I'm a guy, but I swear by Ex-Officio's. Nice hand to the fabric, the boxers dry up almost instantly upon washing and rolling them up in a towel or a sham-wow like synthetic towel. You could bring a spare pair of EO;s and be wearing a clean pair everyday. They also breathe well, keep their shape and above all, resist odors.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 05-16-2011 at 22:03.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I will definitely have at least two pairs of hiking undergarments, but unfortunately there is no REI around where I live so I'm going to have to find a substitute brand somewhere else

Journal Entries
    Images

If you're starting in Harper's Ferry, there are two REI's not too far. One is in Fairfax, VA and the other is Baily's Crossroads, VA:

Success! Found some Exofficios at Bill Jackson's which is in my city. Bought two pairs of undies and one bra. The bra is super comfy! I'm excited to try it all out. Thanks all.

Images

Follow the instructions of washing, wringing, wrapping in towel and hanging each night and you are all set
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I celebrate "clean panties day" every 3-5 days. In the mean time, I use panty liners and wet wipes. I wear old ones that I pack out and throw out. Even burned them along the way.

With all the sarcasm I can muster, that's a great thread title!

Images

The Exofficio panties work geat. You can ordrer them from Magellan way cheaper than the stores. They wick, they work.

My ExOfficio's didn't hold up well under my Osprey Aura 50L pack. Not sure if it was the pack or the undies that caused the problem. But the undies chafed at the small of my back and I wound up with an open sore there. After that I wore a pair of wool panties from Icebreaker. I know it sounds outrageous to wear wool undies on the trail, but these panties are awesome! Very thin, no itch at all. They are naturally antimicrobial. They wick well and dry fast. Just another suggestion for you to try...

exofficio brand is great for that. You could always go pantieless too. Bring a bikini bottom if the need of swimming or showering in public ever comes up.

++ New Posts ++