Journal Entries

Default Long Johns or No Long Johns

Hi all. I am doing a 200 mile section hike in the PA, MD, WVA and VA section at the end of this month and not being from this area, I am not sure if i need my long john pants, gloves and warm hat. They don't weigh much but does anyone have any input as to the need for cooler weather clothes in this area when it appears the lows are in the 50's? Does the weather still get chilly without much notice at the end of May?

Thanks gal! Happy Hiking!
    Owl

I would say no to long johns. A warm stretch cap will come in handy for sleeping on cool nites. Put in a pair of light glove liners just in case.

Journal Entries

Cool Self Defense Preferences

Great! Thanks! I will have 2 pair of zip off hiking pants but wanted to make sure! I see you are from PA. I appreciate your help.

Also, since I am going solo as i usually do, what type of protection do you ladies that hike the trail carry and prefer? I have read enough that I know and believe i will be safer on the AT than going to my local Walmart, but i also believe we need to be smart and have some options should the need arise. I am flying into DC and so some of options are limited and different from where i live now and if i was going for a local hike. Any Thoughts on that?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boernemom View Post
    Hi all. I am doing a 200 mile section hike in the PA, MD, WVA and VA section at the end of this month and not being from this area, I am not sure if i need my long john pants, gloves and warm hat. They don't weigh much but does anyone have any input as to the need for cooler weather clothes in this area when it appears the lows are in the 50's? Does the weather still get chilly without much notice at the end of May?

Thanks gal! Happy Hiking!
    Owl
    I bring long johns to sleep in, even in the summer. A good light weight pair will come in handy. I hiked in middle VA last summer and yes, since I am from Texas it was cold to me at night! In higher elevations sometimes the lows are in the 40's and 50's even in August. That might not seem cold to people that live up north, but frigid to a Texan from the gulf coast!! I just got back today from a 3 day hike from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs, NC, and I was the only one in my group prepared for the low temp of 38 and high temp of 45 that we suffered through for 2 days in a steady cold rain! It's May 19th and seemed like winter! And yes, I would bring a warm pair of waterproof gloves...nothing worse than hiking for hours with numb hands!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just be sure the long johns are wicking polyester and or merino wool material. Not cotton or wally world kind. For summer I bring one lightweight microfleece pant and one long sleeve top just in case for camp / sleep. More often than not though you won't need it after Memorial Day unless you are in New England. And one pair of convertible pants is fine. Always bring a hat. No gloves
    Last edited by Blissful; 05-19-2011 at 19:20.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boernemom View Post
    Also, since I am going solo as i usually do, what type of protection do you ladies that hike the trail carry and prefer?
    I like to carry a 3 foot long double bit ax. People see me with this and think I'm the legendary ax murderer and stay away. way way away. Its also a good way to clear all the hikers out a shelter.

Panzer

++ New Posts ++