Journal Entries

Default Self Defense Preferences

I am going solo for a 200 miles section hike later this month and was wondering (not being from the area of PA, MD, WVA and VA), what type of protection do you ladies that hike the trail carry and prefer? I have read enough that I know and believe i will be safer on the AT than going to my local Walmart, but i also believe we need to be smart and have some options should the need arise. I am flying into DC and so some options are limited and different that the items i carry now where i live now. Any Thoughts on that?

Thanks!
    Owl

Images

Ask your local LEO or YMCA for the women's self defense class. Can't think of the name, but many of the female teachers here in my county have taken it and strongly encourage others to do so, as does my school resource officer.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Barefoot at sea level

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61717

I offer no opinions, but this thread contains a lot of food for thought.

I carry pepper spray, but have not had to use it or anything else in 700 miles I've section hiked.

Just use your common sense, if something doesn't feel right, move on.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

Images

.45 acp............
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

started carrying mace 3/4s of the way into my thru...i don't think i ever would have been able to get it out in time, but it helped me sleep at night.

maps, always good to know where you are, where everyone else around you may be, and the nearest road, so that you can sleep as far from it as possible and so you know where to get out of any situation.

i always wanted a trail dog, those always seemed handy.

number one best defense? my own two feet aka being able to keep hiking on the rare instances when I got a strange vibe.

a little common sense goes a long way.

Images

If I'm hiking alone I carry wasp spray. It has an almost 30 ft spray on it and it won't water out of their eyes. After I sprayed them I would most likely beat them with one of my poles to improve their manners.

Images

If you want to be able to quickly arm yourself and it be easily concealed and not alot of weight I'd say get a black cobra stun pen. You could very well defend yourself with it and even drag the perp in if you wanted to with it. Hope you don't mind I posted in the women's forum.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I carried intuition and my brain and some good praying. But don't camp near roads. Don't tell others your itinerary.
    Last edited by Blissful; 05-16-2011 at 16:49.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    a little common sense goes a long way.
    +1 that advice is worth its weight in gold and WASP spray too.

Carry a big stick. Honestly. Unless you know how to use something else I wouldn't carry it. If you don't deploy mace correctly you will end up with it in your eyes and a p!$$3D attacker. Carry a sturdy treking pole and know how and where to hit someone fast.
    If you know how to use a knofe to defend yourself, carry a large enough blade for that purpose in a location you can reach while hiking. (I carry a Griptilian)
    (and I carry a gun on the mean streets of suburbia)
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Self confidence and common sense.

I'm a woman, I hike alone. There's no sense in carrying something I don't know how to use, that's probably buried so deep in my pack that I won't be able to reach it if by some chance someone were to accost me. I don't take stupid risks, but I'm not going to let fear rule my life on the trail or anywhere else.

Hmmm, common sense and always trusting my gut are top of the list. Plus I never let anyone know where I'm really heading. Hope you enjoy your hike.

The self defense class is an excellent idea, as you will always have your hands, feet, and head with you and not in your pack. Use your head first and foremost. Intuition is always right - trust it.

++ New Posts ++