WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 5 Day recommendations

Hi all...
    I plan on doing the entire LT next summer. This year I can only get a week off. So I'm looking for recommendations for a 5 day solo trip. Loops are always perfered... ideas?

Images

Don't know how many miles per day to wish to hike.

Manchester Ctr to The Inn at the Long Trail on Rt 4 in Rutland is 50 miles. You can catch a bus at the Inn that can get you back to Manchester.

It's a pretty section with two wonderful lakes, great views from Bromley, Bakers Peak and Killington. Not too rugged but does have its share of ups and downs.

Contact me if you need details regarding bus connections and shuttles to the trailhead.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Basically no such thing as a 5 day loop hike on the LT. But ... if you have five days to spend, assuming you are a reasonably strong adult backpacker, the leg from Lincoln Gap up to the Winooski is a classic trip. Lots and lots of fun terrain in there ...

Images

5 days on the LT - hmm - if you plan on doing the whole trail, I'd hate for you to do the most prime parts and then re-hike it later - how about a hike from Hanover, NH to Killington on the AT? You get a good VT primer but stay off the LT proper so you can thru-hike it as a virgin? You can arrange a shuttle from the folks at the Inn at Long Trail in Killington / Rutland. If you want to go a bit further, go south to maybe Clarendon Gorge.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I've decided to do the AT section from Hanover to Killington.
    Will Aquamira drops be sufficient for water treatment or should I rely on my Waterworks filter for this section?
    The AT guide refers to a lot of small stream as water sources.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Aqua mira is fine

That section is definitely better (easier) SOBO in my opinion. But there isn't much to see view-wise. Goes over lots of knobs and across roads and meadows.
    Last edited by Blissful; 06-15-2011 at 10:42.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by NHMarty View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys! I've decided to do the AT section from Hanover to Killington.
    Will Aquamira drops be sufficient for water treatment or should I rely on my Waterworks filter for this section?
    The AT guide refers to a lot of small stream as water sources.
    Please do me a favor and 'consider' the section of trail between Waitsfield and Jonesville, OMFG, it's not easy but talk about amazing!

Hi Everyone
    I'm new to This forum
    it is great to join this Forum, hope i'm welcome in

++ New Posts ++