For the past several years we have sold The Colorado Trail waypoints via the Bear Creek Survey Service website for $11. We have used that money to help defray the costs of the website and considerable time involved in producing up to date files each year. Earlier this year someone who has some axe to grind about this began posting the data on pirate web sites. Recently I received a call from someone who was disraught because she had Googled "Colorado Trail Waypoints" then downloaded the data from somewhere other than my website. It came with an attached virus that destroyed the registry on her pc when she opened the files. I suspect that the same person who put it on the pirate sites in the first place is responsible. What I had previously been concerned about is that someone would alter the waypoint locations and people would get lost or misdirected, but the virus was unexpected.

In view of all this I have restructured the web site so the waypoints are now free of charge to help prevent future incidents. The waypoints may be obtained by going to http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com and following the Waypoints link on the main page. Feel free to download them, share them, whatever. I will evaluate whether it is economically feasible to continue maintenance of the website at some time in the future.

best wishes,

bearcreek