WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Patent information

I'm looking for someone with experience or first hand knowledge in getting a patent. I think I may have built the better mousetrap and I am thinking of making them for sale in large numbers. I don't need a bunch of copycats, and I also want to know if I even qualify for a patent.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Wow - nope, unfortunately I can't help ya, but can't wait to hear all about it when yer able to safely share!

G'luck!

Default What can I help you with?

Hey Sgt. Rock, I received a patent for the Packa. It was an expensive, time consuming process. But the Packa has been pretty hot lately, sold 2 yesterday, and 171 total, so hopefully it will be worth it in the long run.
    I'd be happy to help you if I can.
    Cedar Tree

Images

How do you get started? How much did it cost you? And what are my chances of being turned down? My product isn't all that special an idea, but rather combines a bunch of other ideas to make something I think will kick ass. Basically it is a new design of burner head on an aluminum can type stove that will also use a titanium pot stand. I need to make some tools so I can mass produce them, but the cost per unit retail should be about $18.

The entire thing will weigh about 0.3 ounces and will boil a pint of water with about 1/2 ounce of alcohol, and do so consistently in field conditions. This has been a goal of mine for a long time since it will finally be more fuel and weight efficient than Esbit while still maintain the cost and availability benefits of alcohol stoves.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Very interesting. Be very very afraid of the so called patent helpers. They'll bombard you with useless data/info and suck money and valuable time to string you along. Good luck during the process. Hopefully one of WB's members can help you as much as you helped others.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Clark Howard does a consumer talk radio show and here's his page on patent and inventions information, including some tips on what to look out for so you won't get ripped off:

http://clarkhoward.com/topics/inventions_patents.html

Sarge, you might want to contact Idaho Bob over at "the". Apparently he's a lawyer who does this kind of thing.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Here's another resource you might check out, Sarge: http://www.uspto.gov/web/navaids/siteindx.htm#tocP

Note that gaining a patent offers only limited protection -- you may still need to litigate to enforce your patent if someone infringes on purpose or inadvertantly, which is expensive and time-consuming.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Patent Information

[QUOTE=SGT Rock]How do you get started?

Do a patent search at the US Patent office.
    www.uspto.gov

[QUOTE=SGT Rock] How much did it cost you?

All together, patent and lawyers fees, about $8000.

[QUOTE=SGT Rock] And what are my chances of being turned down?

The patent search will be a big factor. I hate to say it, but I would be very surprised if a new hiking stove was awarded a patent. There are many patented stoves.

[QUOTE=SGT Rock] My product isn't all that special an idea, but rather combines a bunch of other ideas to make something I think will kick ass. Basically it is a new design of burner head on an aluminum can type stove that will also use a titanium pot stand. I need to make some tools so I can mass produce them, but the cost per unit retail should be about $18.

Combining two or more "old" ideas into something new is definately patentable. What you need to consider is profit. At $18 each, it will take a bunch of sales to re-coup your patent costs, if you hire a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    The entire thing will weigh about 0.3 ounces and will boil a pint of water with about 1/2 ounce of alcohol, and do so consistently in field conditions. This has been a goal of mine for a long time since it will finally be more fuel and weight efficient than Esbit while still maintain the cost and availability benefits of alcohol stoves.
    Sounds really cool Rock. I love my Brasslite, and my hikenlight. You will have lots of competition. Good luck.
    Cedar Tree

Sarge,
    I'm a mechanical and biomedical engineer and share ownership of a patent with father for a unique piece of industrial equipment. I've been through the process as an inventor. If I can answer any questions for you just please let me know.
    Doppler

++ New Posts ++