WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Western Mountaineering Caribou as warm season bag?

Has anyone used the WM Caribou on the AT? What seasons? What temps? Impressions? Many thanks. I'm planning for 2012 NOBO.

I just got mine a while back and have only used it once. Weather man called for low of 45, it got downto 28. I was fine but would not wanna go any colder. Awesome bag, I love it. I would assume that without baselayers, light coat and such it would serve well as a warm season bag.

I'm a very cold sleeper. With a light baselayer and hat, I've been OK down to about 40, give-or-take. This bag has sewn-thru stitching and no draft collar. Most normal people feel the temp. rating is dead on.

Images

I have owned a WM Caribou since 2005. I have only ever used it in my hammock setup and occasionally in shelters. Its a great sleeping bag that I have used in temps. ranging from -20* to hot and humid New England summers. I use JRB quilts with it in the colder months but I would think it would do well by itself at any temp above 45-50*. Just my experience.
    skinny d

Images

I also like how it packs down to the size of a football. And in the six years I have owned it, it is still in EXCELLENT condition!
    skinny d

Images

This has been my summer bag for several years now. Completely satisfied. No accurate temp data - I've never carried a thermometer, but I've woken to a frosty tarp and been comfortable. I use a silk liner to keep it clean.

Smile WM Caribou

Thanks to everyone for the comments. It seems to be accurately rated for 35F. Am I correct to conclude from these comments that it is a good pick for expected temps on the AT from May to September?

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I used a WM Caribou with a small Prolite pad in a MSR Hubba Hubba tent on our thru May-Oct and loved it. In cooler temps a silk liner, base layer and stocking cap worked well.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

++ New Posts ++