WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Camera

Default Camera

So I post this in the UL forum because I know you guys all count grams and I am beginning to.

I am looking for a camera that takes good pictures, holds plenty, batteries last (but don't weigh me down) and the camera is also light weight. what say you? What do you use?

Bonus for cameras that also take video and can be secured to a head strap of some type so I can video while walking.

Am I asking too much?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Check out the Casio Exilim series. My thru camera weighed 4 ozs, needed recharging every couple of weeks, takes video. Strapping to head? Probably not. Video in my older camera used a lot of memory. Newer models may be configured differently. I have seen these Exilims from $60 to $250, depending upon the model. Good luck.
    Turtle2

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle2 View Post
    Check out the Casio Exilim series. My thru camera weighed 4 ozs, needed recharging every couple of weeks, takes video. Strapping to head? Probably not. Video in my older camera used a lot of memory. Newer models may be configured differently. I have seen these Exilims from $60 to $250, depending upon the model. Good luck.
    LOVE my Exilim EXZ60 fits easy in a pocket or pouch. Also has digital voice recording for trail notes. I use it now with a Ultrapod Mini tripod which is great for attaching to sticks or branches or sitting on flat service.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82060

Been looking at changing from mini tripod to a StickPic that attaches to hiking pole, I've seen some great self shots and vids taken with them
    http://www.thestickpic.com/
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

I use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3... it's ruggedized. After taking decent care of a couple other cameras and still have them break or become unusable due to humidity, I had to go with something that takes decent pictures and is indestructible!

So far I am very happy with picture quality, battery life, and ease of use. Also the device has GPS, compass, altimeter built in - though I will rarely use those features so I can get the most of the batteries.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

any idea what your setups weigh?

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Thanks for making me clean out my "should always be ready to go" tool kit.

The naked Exilim EXZ60 weighs 4-1/4 oz.
    The padded case with lanyard weighs 1-3/4oz
    The Ultrapod Mini weighs 1-1/2 oz
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Penny, shop any Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, BIG electronics store(there are too many to list), camera reviews of UL cameras, etc and you will find QUITE A Few compact digital cameras weighing under 7 oz and some under 5 ozs with the features you mention (and many more features, including vid) for under $250, some well under $200.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Make sure when you evaluate a camera that you consider the charger, if it has one. My Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5, which I love for its Leica/Elmar optics with the ultra-wide to tele zoom, starts at 8.5 ozs, and the charger adds 2 more ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Make sure when you evaluate a camera that you consider the charger, if it has one. My Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5, which I love for its Leica/Elmar optics with the ultra-wide to tele zoom, starts at 8.5 ozs, and the charger adds 2 more ...
    Probably much lighter to just take a spare battery. That's what I was going to do with my ZS5 but then I found my A590 again and I figure I'll take that and some spare AAs.

fwiw the Canon A590 is 7.9 oz. The Panasonic ZS5 is 7.7. I have an Olympus 850SW at 5.4 oz but it takes crappy pics and isn't even close to worth what I paid for it.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Sony TX5 water, shock, and freeze proof and takes HD video. Very small and light. I would buy an extra battery to carry though.
    "Keep on dreamin boy, cause when you stop dreamin it's time to die" -Blind Melon

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Probably much lighter to just take a spare battery. That's what I was going to do with my ZS5 but then I found my A590 again and I figure I'll take that and some spare AAs.(
    True, but unless your camera uses AA's, like your A590, or you are on a short hike, you'll still need to recharge your batteries in town. I plan on taking my camera, a spare battery, and the charger on my thru, unless I can resign myself to documenting this experience with an iPhone ...

... Which would be the u/l thing to do ...
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

I like cameras that use AA batteries for the convenience, when I'm hiking.
    I recently hiked the C+O canal and bought a Cannon A1200 right before the trip, on a whim. It's small and light (I don't have an exact weight) and I got what I consider good pictures. And to boot, it can be had pretty cheap.

I didn't realize the cameras were this light. That's Good News! Thanks all.

ChillyWilly has a pt. Some camera battery chargers weigh more than 1/2 the wt of the camera. How do I know? I took my digital scale to the places I was shopping for an UL trail camera. Since the OP does mention wt of a camera as being one consideration in their choice of camera the wt of the battery charger might also be a consideration.

I shortened the long length of my camera battery by resplicing the cable reducing the charger wt by 2 1/2 ozs and quite a bit of bulk. I cut out more than 2 ft of cable.

Journal Entries
    Images

penny Pincher, stay out of HHGREG, Here is something that will surprise you - cameras take great photos and movie cameras take great video. They are by design not to do both well. A recent purchase of an HD JVC takes great video and guess what shoddy photos. luck has it Photoshop can fix some of it.

Kodak Cameras - have proprietary software that screws up the views for MY pics Windows software.

Sony Cameras - have proprietary cable connections or chips that won't work with Sony laptops or Dell - You have to be careful.

Thats all for now.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    penny Pincher, stay out of HHGREG, Here is something that will surprise you - cameras take great photos and movie cameras take great video. They are by design not to do both well. A recent purchase of an HD JVC takes great video and guess what shoddy photos. luck has it Photoshop can fix some of it.

Kodak Cameras - have proprietary software that screws up the views for MY pics Windows software.

Sony Cameras - have proprietary cable connections or chips that won't work with Sony laptops or Dell - You have to be careful.

Thats all for now.

Oh Wise one - what is HHGREG? The rest of the advice I understood and thanks.

Images

I have somewhat shaky hands, so having to hold a camera out in front of me to take a photo is not conducive to sharp images. I like an actual viewfinder, so that I can stabilize the camera against my forehead - this makes a HUGE difference in the number of keepers that I get.

The best, lightest P&S camera I've found, thus far, is my Canon 590 IS. It takes AA batteries and lasts for well over a week on a set of lithium Ions. It also has true optical Image Stabilization, not just upping the ISO to get a faster shutter speed as many cameras in this class do. Add to that the actual view finder and I find it far superior to the Olympus Stylus 600 that I used prior.

All that said, I now seriously consider carrying my smallest DSLR with some light lenses for each section I do. I figure I will not be back to these exact locations in my expected lifetime, so I want to get the photos I like while I'm out there.

With all the weight I've chopped from my other gear over the years, I feel I can affort this luxury. I used to carry a much heavier SLR when I was packing much more weight, course I was much younger then.

Find what works for you, try it out ahead of your trip if possible, and have fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Oh Wise one - what is HHGREG? The rest of the advice I understood and thanks.
    LOL, sorry, not WiseOO, but HH Greg is a store. From my experience, kinda like a discount Best Best.

I have the Sony DSC-TX. Takes wonderful pictures, exceptional macro for flowers bugs etc, acceptable video and weighs about 5 oz. I don't carry it in a case it is waterproof, dust proof etc and just carry it in my pocket or the pouch on the hip strap of the backpack.

Uses a LI-Ion battery and can get about 150 to 200 pics per charge. I carry a spare. Don't know the the weight is but can weigh if important. You will need a charger for a thru and it is lightweight but I would have to weight to know exactly.

In my research any camera that uses AA or AAA will be bulkier and weigh more. I would like to find one this small that uses those type batteries. It takes only JPG pictures. I much prefer the native camera format of raw.

The reference is true about the cable to fit the camera. However, using the cable requires you also to use the Sony software. I despise propriety things of this nature and I work around this by simply putting the chip (SD HC but will use others) in a reader and then downloading to my computer (in my case Lightroom). It takes a little exploring to figure out the file scheme on the chip but it is straight forward. I have only used the cable once (it comes with the camera) when I first got the camera and have never used it again.

Although this camera does many things well, it has some simple settings that will take great pics which my wife really likes. We have to schedule its use for my hikes as she uses it for pics of the grand kids.

And finally, it was not cheap. I think I paid about $300 for it thru Amazon but I have seen them on sale.

Are you taking a cell/smart phone?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++