WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Speaking as a section hiker, I like having no more than eleven hours of darkness per day when I'm hiking. Otherwise, I go stir crazy with boredom spending a lot of waking hours in the dark in my tent. So March 21 to Sept. 21 are prime hiking time for me and that's a time frame suited to a NOBO thru-hike. A southbound thru-hike starting around July 1 means some mighty long nights in November and December (unless you do a fast hike) toward the end of your thru-hike.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Speaking as a section hiker, I like having no more than eleven hours of darkness per day when I'm hiking. Otherwise, I go stir crazy with boredom spending a lot of waking hours in the dark in my tent. So March 21 to Sept. 21 are prime hiking time for me and that's a time frame suited to a NOBO thru-hike. A southbound thru-hike starting around July 1 means some mighty long nights in November and December (unless you do a fast hike) toward the end of your thru-hike.
    +1 on thoughs sunny figures

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    +1 on thoughs sunny figures
    That's "Those"

Images

I like the idea of a SOBO myself, because at the finish I would be six hours drive from home. The nobo finish point looks awesome on everyone's pictures, though. As a section hiker in training I think I'm a long way from either nobo or SOBO, so there's plenty of time for that later. I might be TH class of 2020....
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I like the idea of a SOBO myself, because at the finish I would be six hours drive from home. The nobo finish point looks awesome on everyone's pictures, though. As a section hiker in training I think I'm a long way from either nobo or SOBO, so there's plenty of time for that later. I might be TH class of 2020....
    i was never a section hiker or in training when i first hit the trail. i never did a "shakedown" whatever that means. it's just walkin'. seriously

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

SOBO weather was fantastic (save Hurricane Irene in southern vermont and flooding in NY/NJ! )! I had nearly the same temperatures up until central virginia - going 'with' late summer and fall made more sense to me. NTM, besides a few in the north east, hostels , shelters, and AYCEs were never full. However, some were closed by the time we came through (Pine Grove Furnace SP was also closed - no HG Challenge)

This said, the first ~400 miles SOBO were the best and the hardest, for me the only reason I would go NOBO - to finish in Maine, my favorite part. I started in good shape and had no trouble with Katadhin, southern Maine, whites, etc but I enjoyed them the most for that reason. Next SOBO hike, I will start earlier to finish around 1st of november (there were some really cold nights towards the end..)

And all this balogna about Springer being anti-climatic..walk 2100 miles first then say the end isnt important. I couldve finished at a privy and have been as equally estatic as finishing a NOBO at Katadhin. NTM, the parking lot is only a mile away from Springer vs. 3 (at least) in Baxter SP...

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post

And all this balogna about Springer being anti-climatic..walk 2100 miles first then say the end isnt important. I couldve finished at a privy and have been as equally estatic as finishing a NOBO at Katadhin. NTM, the parking lot is only a mile away from Springer vs. 3 (at least) in Baxter SP...
    you (get" it

Black flies su**! And I'm allergic to their bites, so it's the crowd for me. Also, I really can't imagine skipping either New England fall or blooming rhododendron tunnels. I've lived here over 25 years, and I still hate missing the first three weeks of October here. Only missed any of it once.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Images

Hiking the Appalachian Trail is a lot about SEASONS - Northbound hikers chase down the spring and into summer and finish in Fall which is a wonderful feeling. I went Southbound because I was finishing high school until late May and wouldn't have been able to finish a northbound hike before BSP and the Big K shut down for the winter weather. Most northbounders start between February and April - most southbounders start between June and August so a lot of thru hikers decide their direction by when their schedule stipulates that they start. If I thru-hike again, I'd like to go Northbound but the crowded nature of the southern parts of the trail in spring time worry me - I'd surly try to start early - mid February, perhaps. Speaking for my southbound kin, SOBO is harder in a lot of ways - Maine and NH are harder than GA and most of NC for the most part and you are thrown right into the crux of the trail with a few blackflies to boot. The trail is "set-up" from a NOBO perspective in a lot of ways too and SOBOS have to adapt - being a smaller crew though, it's a tight-knit little crew that often braves snow in the smokies and the cold wet, sometimes lonely finish in north GA.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    Absolutely.

I finished my SOBO at Harper's Ferry as I had to leave PA and MD for the following spring when work came up.
    We had bubbly at the ATC center and everything. I was the first 2,000 miler for 2011. It was great. We had a blast. They LOVE hikers finishing at Harper's Ferry.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    SOBOS have to adapt - being a smaller crew though, it's a tight-knit little crew that often braves snow in the smokies and the cold wet, sometimes lonely finish in north GA.
    Our final day from Woody Gap to Springer was 6.5 hours of downpour. Cold downpour. Wouldnt trade it for anything

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++