WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ZPacks Cuben Fiber 18x36 Dry Sack Pack Liner

Up to this point I have always used just a pack cover to rely on keeping my stuff dry. Considering I haven't been caught in many storms, I must say that this system has worked well. But I figured it was time that I quit pressing my luck and get a pack liner. So, I looked around, and I was hoping to get one of Lawson's dry sacks, but I waited to long and now he is busy with other things and is not taking orders for dry sacks. So, I ended up emailing Joe at ZPacks and he said he could hook me up, which he did.

So, it is 18x36 and uses 1.26 oz/sqyd cuben fiber and weighs 1.8 oz after seam sealing. As well, this thing fits inside my ULA Circuit like it was made for it! Sweet!

Of course I posted a first look of it over on my blog along with a video. If you are interested, check it out here:

ZPacks Cuben Fiber 18x36 Dry Sack Pack Liner

Thanks for checking it out!
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

in hindsight stick do you like it? that's a good bit of weight. more than i was hoping for..
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Wags, I do like it. I am fine with the 1.8 oz.

I was looking at the OR UL Dry Sack Pack liners and they were almost 4 oz.

The ones that Lawson sells (when available) are 2.25 oz I believe, but he may use a more robust buckle. I do know that he tapes his as well, so the tape may add a little extra weight too. Also, I am not 100% sure what weight of cuben he uses for his stuff sacks.

MLD's large dry sack is just a little smaller (17 x 35 vs 18 x 36) and it weighs 1.7 oz, the same as the ZPacks, however, it is taped rather than sewn, so no extra weight form seam sealing.

However, with ZPacks, I can request it to be made of what ever weight he has. He quoted me a weight of 1.2 oz if I would have used the 0.74 oz/sqyd cuben. And while he didn't quote me a price on the 0.51 oz/sqyd cuben, I figure it would probably be somewhere right at 1 oz. So, I chose to go with the heavier weight cuben, anticipating it too last longer.

As far as I know, my other alternatives are simply the light-weight pack liners, or even the trash compactor bags. However, I wanted something a little more durable. I also liked the fact that with it being a roll top dry sack, I can hang it outside with stuff inside it (such as my pack, or other non food items that I don't want to keep inside a shelter) and whatever is in it won't get wet either.

That being said, I am happy with my pack weight. My cold weather gear weighs just a little over 15 pounds without consumables, and my summer is just at 11. If I get another pack to use for my summer use, I will cut another pound off of that weight. So, I am ok with adding 1.8 oz to my pack weight...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

lawson's cuben is definitely heavier weight cuben than joe's 1.26...

i know you're happy with your pack weight and you definitely think things through. i wasn't insulting your kit in any way, shape, or form. just wanted to know if you were happy with it. there was a time not too long ago i was interested in one, but it has faded for the time being...

you know you can always gooseneck a regular style stuff sack to make the top watertight?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Wags,

No harm. And I thought about doing that with a trash compactor bag but in the end I just decided to go with the dry sack. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that either...I think it is just the cuben craze I got into... If it isn't cuben, it's something with down... haha...

Images

i went through a cuben fad too. now i have like 3 stuffsacks that i don't really need

That is how I ended up with the one that I have around my Heine pot...

Images

the omnitape or velcro top to seal the bag is pretty slick. it's the little details like that which make joe so awesome to deal with. i love giving him my money

Haha...I am not so sure I would say I love giving him my money...but I do like the packages I get in return...

++ New Posts ++