WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Missing Person - car found at Smokies Newfound Gap

Someone sent me this article - they are looking for a man in the Smokies

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

The article brought up the fact that he has a handgun.
    Last edited by Tipi Walter; 05-21-2011 at 22:06. Reason: Deviation from Original post / thread topic

Images

Gee, I hope the guy is alright... Pointless Post
    Last edited by Egads; 05-21-2011 at 22:26.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Stay on topic!!
    Last edited by Doctari; 05-21-2011 at 18:07. Reason: Deviation from Original post / thread topic

Images

Stay on topic!
    Last edited by Doctari; 05-21-2011 at 18:08. Reason: Deviation from Original post / thread topic

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Stay on topic!
    Last edited by Doctari; 05-21-2011 at 18:09. Reason: Deviation from Original post / thread topic

Stay on topic!
    Last edited by Doctari; 05-21-2011 at 18:09. Reason: Deviation from Original post / thread topic

Images

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A LOST, POSSIBLY SUICIDAL HIKER IN THE SMOKIES.

ANY DEVIATION FROM THIS TOPIC ON STRAIGHT FORWARD WILL BE DELETED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    THIS THREAD IS ABOUT A LOST, POSSIBLY SUICIDAL HIKER IN THE SMOKIES.

ANY DEVIATION FROM THIS TOPIC ON STRAIGHT FORWARD WILL BE DELETED.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

No offense to you Doctari but the article mentioned the guy might have a gun and posters were commenting about it. Pretty straight forward if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Someone sent me this article - they are looking for a man in the Smokies

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...xt%7CFRONTPAGE
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

kinda looks like a guy walking around at traildays who definatly wasnt a hiker. is he a hiker?
    matthewski

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    No offense to you Doctari but the article mentioned the guy might have a gun and posters were commenting about it. Pretty straight forward if you ask me.

My thoughts too Skidsteer...

somebody's off his meds..

If his car has been parked there a few weeks and no family knows that he is going for a hike, this isn't a missing person. They should send in the cadaver dogs.

Very sad.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    At risk of violating my own warning:
    "It's scary that he has a gun" or "He might shoot himself" Is on topic. "We need more gun control" is NOT! & that lead to "Gun control is hitting what you aim at" & I have seen WAY too many threads here at whiteblaze go so off topic you have to go back 10 pages or more just to see what the OP said. In fact, I had a post about a year ago that went completely off topic & stayed there in only 4 posts. You want to talk about the lost "Hiker" fine, you want to talk gun control start your own post.

I for one am sad that someone chose to (Possibly) end his life. Granted he may not be a hiker, but as he chose an area known for hiking, lets give benefit of the doubt. And, the one(s) I feel sorry for are the ones who find him, if ever. That is a pretty large area with a lot of places to get way off the trail & into some pretty rugged terrain.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Agreed Doctari, its those offhand comments that are sort of on the subject, but not really, that set off these WB debates that don't need to be on "Straight Forward".
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    If his car has been parked there a few weeks and no family knows that he is going for a hike, this isn't a missing person. They should send in the cadaver dogs.

Very sad.
    dude........

Images

Everyone hates realism.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

-Bob Dylan

Wasnt they a dude here on Wb asking directions about how to get to that place where they found his car recently? He may or may not be on his meds the advange can go either way.Hope the dude is ok. WAVIOR: IM not saying it was the dude

Let me preface this by saying that as licensed mental health professional I deal with despondents everyday. I am all too familiar with the suicide dynamic, and the ability of it to rip lives into shreds. BUT I do understand the biological process of suicide, from the act itself, to the microcosm of how all individual cells have a "self destruct" mechanism encoded within cellular DNA. Let me also say that my personal opinion on suicide never infringes on the protocol that the state has set for me. Before I go on I want to apologize for offending anyone on here. I never post, but feel compelled to say something...

Now that I've cleared that up, let me share my personal experience with it:
    After dealing with suicide first hand so many times in my life (four times--all on a case by case basis) I realize that it is a personal choice; however "selfish" the act may appear to the "survivors" (those left behind after a suicide--of which category I fall into) they will never understand the choice that is made. But what we (the rest of America & most civilized countries in the world) view as a bad decision, or "a sin", or a selfish act--let this survivors voice be heard...IT IS NOT A SELFISH ACT, nor is it sin. It's a decision. Self-sacrifice. What we need to understand is that it is selfish of you to deem their act as "a sin" or a selfish act. Despondent people sometimes live for years in agony to simply "hold on" for others (family, loved ones) who are, in fact, the more selfish in the situation.

example: someone wants to leave your house. you dont let them. they want to leave, but you are being selfish by not letting them leave, exacerbating the situation.

God gave us the choice to do what feel in our hearts is the right thing, and just because someone has decided to no longer be apart of something you are apart of, whether their suicide affects you personally OR its just another name in another paper somewhere: it is their choice ultimately.
    RESPECT their decision to go.
    LOOK DOWN UPON people who choose to take their own lives following a shooting spree in what we call a "murder suicide" which sadly seems to be all the rage in today's American society.

Now getting back to the thread: this despondent guy has gone into some woods to sacrifice himself. this happens all the time. despondent people with guns in a park? that is a scary thought. hopefully he will go quietly and not decide to take a couple of hikers with him. my educated & thoughtful side says no need to worry, he drove an Audi to Newfound Gap, parked it with the intention of never returning, and is going to go quietly. someone will find him eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++