WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The Place in Damascus Open?

Just heard The Place was not open yesterday. Is this a measure to clear out hiker trash from trail days? or is there a bigger problem?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Sign just said 'closed for repairs'. No mention on how long.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Just heard The Place was not open yesterday. Is this a measure to clear out hiker trash from trail days? or is there a bigger problem?
    closed for repairs and upgrades. be open tomorrow maybe. lotsa health dept. flaws plus hikers not puttin' money in the donation box. may close for good one day soon

I love the place, glad it's there for us. Every time I've stopped there I've cleaned the shower and still tented in the lawn, and still know how to find the donation box.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I love the place, glad it's there for us. Every time I've stopped there I've cleaned the shower and still tented in the lawn, and still know how to find the donation box.
    there's a few folks like you that go above and beyond. too many just use and abuse the place. thank you for doing the right thing

Images

One of the hikers I shuttled back to the trail after Hardcore insisted on stopping and putting $20 in the donation box on the way through town. Should be more people like that.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

today i walk ino "The Place" and a couple are sitting on the back porch under the sign that says NO ALCOHOL ON THE PROPERTY drinking beer openly. i told them in a polite manner to pack up and leave ASAP. the female tried to cop a plea by saying she'll get rid off the beer and could they still stay. i said no, you boke the rules knowingly/blatantly. she started crying say they've had a tough 475 miles or whatever and were trying to relax. i said she shoulda read the rules which ain't hard cuz they're posted all over. so i go back a little bit ago and there's a note to me " to the man that made us leave: thank you for reminding me why i don't belive in organized religion. you never practice what you preach. enjoy your B S prohibition. love J & G
    i dislike most hikers for this reason

I went through Damascus at 10:30 at night on my thru, so I didn't stop there. Might be on the AT one day again though. Don't see why people had a problem with the no alcohol policy. I didn't drink much whenever I stayed in a hostel, and if I did, I always asked first.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    today i walk ino "The Place" and a couple are sitting on the back porch under the sign that says NO ALCOHOL ON THE PROPERTY drinking beer openly. i told them in a polite manner to pack up and leave ASAP. ...
    Good for you, Lone Wolf!!! There are always those who rationalize being above the law and better than mere mortals.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Girls drove in last night with dog in tow, stayed for the night and raised holy manure when Lone Wolf and I asked them to leave. Had to call the troops in and they left finally.

Journal Entries
    Images

with all the people who stayed there during Trail Days, you shouldn't have been able to squeeze another dime in their donation box, unfortunately when I left my more than fair share b4 I left that wasn't the case. : o (
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Most who stay never drop a dime in that box......Trail Day's never gets near what it should, for all of those who stayed inside and out on the lawn this year there should have been at least four to five hundred a day in that box but Tommy Hayes says we were down over a thousand dollars from last years gathering and that box never averaged more than one to two hundred a day....

I'll let Lone Wolf speak for himself but I am seeing an increase of users and abusers come thru The Place, just two days ago I had a very unstable 20 yr old that I had to ask to leave after he had been there for five days and right before he arrived there were four boys who were there for four days before we caught them in their sleep and asked them to leave and those boys never left a dime...

Journal Entries
    Images

It is just a matter of time before this great entity called The Place is put onto administrative leave....

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    Tommy Hayes says we were down over a thousand dollars from last years gathering and that box never averaged more than one to two hundred a day....
    How many beds are there? $200 a day would be 40 beds

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    there were well over a hundred people in and out and using the facilities for four days running..........

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    30 bunks plus dozens of tents and car campers at The Place during trail days plus people using showers that aren't staying there. Tow is right $400 - $500 a day shoulda been in the donation box. pathetic. the so-called "AT community" is going to heck in a handbasket

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    there were well over a hundred people in and out and using the facilities for four days running..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    30 bunks plus dozens of tents and car campers at The Place during trail days plus people using showers that aren't staying there. Tow is right $400 - $500 a day shoulda been in the donation box. pathetic. the so-called "AT community" is going to heck in a handbasket
    Oh right, forgot about all the showers and camping at Trails Days. Never mind putting in what's expected, it wouldn't surprise me if some are dipping into the box.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd have to agree with you on that Sly...........

i heard today that "The Place" won't be open this season. i'll post again when i get confirmation

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's finally happened...

Sad

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++