WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Pack list and a big thank you

After 6mos of reading, learning and many heated debates I'd like to thank the WB community for your willingness to guide and share your experiences with me. As I load my pack for her UPS journey to Hiker Hostle, my confidence in tackling our beautiful AT is high.

So here's my pack list (I don't plan to go into town much)

Osprey Exos 46 pack 2lbs 5oz
    Marmont Limelite 2 tent 4lbs 10oz
    Eureka Riner +40F bag 2lbs 8oz
    BA insulated air core pad 1lb

big 4 total 10lbs 7oz

PACK
    tent, bag, pad, packa, trash comp bag, pillow, gatorade bottle, 1.5ltr camelback, 1.5ltr nalgene canteen, sm book no cover, journal paper and pencil, AWOL guide, compass-thermometer-whistle combo, trecking poles,
    crocs, 2 mini bungies, 3 carabiners.

CLOTHES PACKED
    1 bike shorts, 1 shirt, 2 med wool socks w/liners, sleep top and bottom.

CLOTHES WORN
    1 bike shorts, sports bra, 1 shirt, 1 med wool socks w/liner, Saloman mid trailrunners. watch, bandana, glasses, hat, ziplock ID, cash, credit card, check card.

HYGIENE/FIRST AIDE
    mini tpaste and tbrush, 4oz Dr.Bonners, 4oz conditioner, goldbond, buttwipes, 1oz deet, headnet, Rx meds, vitamins, ibuprophen, aspirin, moleskin corn pads, 10 waterproof bandaides, neosporine covered cotton balls, ace bandage, diva cup, homemade pisser (sbhikes you are genius), nightime pee bottle, 2 hair ties, comb, tweezer, 2.5" mirror.

ELECTRONICS
    Droid X and charger, Fugi XP Sport camera and charger, SPOT, extra batteries.

MISC
    duct tape, headlamp, shamwow, exacto knife, headlamp, floss and needle, BA pad repair kit, aquamira, pepper spray, lighter, vasaline covered cotton balls, sitting pad/hitching sign (piece of old yoga pad written w/a sharpie) "hiker to town" & "hiker to trail"

22lbs base wt.

FOOD BAG
    50' nylon cord, 2 carabiners, extra ziplocks, plastic wear, drink mix, sm plastic spatula, gorp, 2 cliffs bars, peanut butter, honey, flour tortillas, 3 foil packed tuna, 6 mayo packets, dried chives and celery seed, 8oz block of cheddar cheese, 8oz summer sausage, 6 mustard packets, grocery list for town.

Special thanks to Chiefiepoo who volunteered to meet with me and taught me how to hang a bear bag. He also showed me how to get my pack on by throwing it over my head. Best tip ever!
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

I'll be out for at least 3 months. Did I miss anything? what should I leave home?
    Those that danced were thought mad by those who could not hear the music. George Carlin

may i know how this pack throwing over the head is done?
    matthewski

Yes I thought I would grow one big Popeye arm hoisting my pack onto one shoulder to put it on like a jacket. Chiefiepoo placed my pack on the ground directly in front of him with the top towards him and strap side up. Then he grabbed the pack at it's center and lifted it with both hands and slipped it over his head while his arms fell within the straps. It slid down his back and was on in one fluid motion. Very easy on me and the pack and not heavy this way. Does that make sense?

Hash House Harrier

Informative, thank you for sharing! Thoughts:

-I like the combo-sitting pad/hitching sign idea.
    -You didn't list a stove, but your food list seems to indicate you're going cook-less. True?
    -What pillow did you go with, and what's its weight?
    -Just out of curiosity, how far are you shooting for in your 3+ months?
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

yeah. but its weird. if you like it. cool. your list has a high fun factor. i like it. very cool.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    yeah. but its weird. if you like it. cool. your list has a high fun factor. i like it. very cool.
    I thank you for the vote of confidence. I needed the boost. Getting down to the wire and feeling a few butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Tim View Post
    Informative, thank you for sharing! Thoughts:

-I like the combo-sitting pad/hitching sign idea.
    -You didn't list a stove, but your food list seems to indicate you're going cook-less. True?
    -What pillow did you go with, and what's its weight?
    -Just out of curiosity, how far are you shooting for in your 3+ months?
    I saw the HTT, HTT on a bandana online but the site (can't remember) wanted 10 bucks plus shipping for it. I'm golden as long as I don't try to sit and hitch.

Yes I am stoveless. We all eat in town anyway and I'm just too tired at the end of the day too cook and clean up etc. Mornings are up and out. Breakfast is somewhere on the trail within the first couple of hours.

Pillow is a 6"x6" section of a memory foam pillow I already had (sorry I don't know the weight) Nicely contoured and smooshes and returns it's shape when I open the sleeping bag compression sack. I keep it along with my jammies, in the toe of the bag.

I'd like to get to Harper's Ferry from Springer and have my picture taken but MacAffee knob would make me happy.

Images

Leave the moleskin home and use your duct tape in it's place.
    Pack a small pair of cuticle scissors, or a small, VERY, sharp knife or single edge razor blade. Here's the reason. If you get blisters you'll need some way to cut the loose, dead skin away, treat the blisters with an antibiotic ointment, then cover them with the duct tape. Just my 2 cents

Images

OH, and have a GREAT hike!

I do believe you are ready. Stay safe, and have fun. Keep us posted, if ya can. Good luck...
    "I'm your Huckleberry..."

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Leave the moleskin home and use your duct tape in it's place.
    Pack a small pair of cuticle scissors, or a small, VERY, sharp knife or single edge razor blade. Here's the reason. If you get blisters you'll need some way to cut the loose, dead skin away, treat the blisters with an antibiotic ointment, then cover them with the duct tape. Just my 2 cents
    yes funny you say that. I bought more cuticle scissors today. My husband and I were fighting over them.

I'm afraid the duct tape won't be enough to cushion the top of my pinky toe by its self so I'll bring a few corn pads jest in case. I like the donut shape.

exacto knife is on my list instead of a pocket knife.

thanks for the well wishes and will chk in here at WB occasionally. I'm addicted now.

Images

Default On your way

Thanks for the shout out, Skooch. I appreciate your kind words. The over the head throw is just a variation on how we load airpacks at the fire dept. With all of the bulky bunker gear you have to wear, finding the arm hole often takes time and makes you look incredibly dumb standing in front of someones burning house.

I know you're ready. You have put a lot of thought into your journey. You have asked for and received many good tips. Remain teachable, at least until Neels Gap. Rest when you're tired. Hydrate and nap often. Best of luck to you.

Carry on!
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Hey Skooch, are you doing an online journal?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

the small break away knife is very light, very sharp, and you just break off a small section to have a razor sharp new cutting edge. gnome

Default wet seat

I don't know what your yoga pad is made of but make sure it won't absorb water, makes for a lousy seat and gets really heavy. Yeah, don't ask how I know.
    Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Hey Skooch, are you doing an online journal?
    I'd like to but it seems like a commitment that is hard to keep. Sounds like a good question for a thread search. I did open a spot on trailjournals.com. So far I plan to hand write my thoughts. I decided to bring 10 self addressed stamped envelopes. old school so far. My family may transcribe them for me to the web.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    Thanks for the shout out, Skooch. I appreciate your kind words. The over the head throw is just a variation on how we load airpacks at the fire dept. With all of the bulky bunker gear you have to wear, finding the arm hole often takes time and makes you look incredibly dumb standing in front of someones burning house.

I know you're ready. You have put a lot of thought into your journey. You have asked for and received many good tips. Remain teachable, at least until Neels Gap. Rest when you're tired. Hydrate and nap often. Best of luck to you.

Carry on!
    I'll be in touch

Hi Skooch,

I hope you have a wonderful time on your journey My thoughts are with you.

FYI, take it easy on the downs

Fortis

Two eureaka Spitfire tents would be lighter than that one 2-person tent, plus you get privacy. Also, eureka makes a light 2-person tent.
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++