WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New hostel - michaux state forest

Opening June 1st 2011 is a new hostel at a private residence off of Shippensburg Rd on Big Flat just south of the A.T. half way point. High Mountain Haven is owned and operated by Keith (Chickenwing) Champagne. He can be reached at [email protected] or by calling the hostel at 717 352 4686. Chickenwing is known for his trail hospitality, just read the registers at Birch Run Shelter. The hostel can be reached by going East on Shippensburg Rd about 800 feet and turning right down the first dirt driveway. The hostel is the 5th house on the left about 1/4 mile down the driveway

I don't have any maps available but with a little better description of where the hostel is at, and the the services offered, along with prices stc. I can add it to the Companion update page AND include it in the Online Companion.

In the meantime, I'll fudge a description and add it to both.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I don't have any maps available but with a little better description of where the hostel is at, and the the services offered, along with prices stc. I can add it to the Companion update page AND include it in the Online Companion.

In the meantime, I'll fudge a description and add it both.
    Since that's in "my" section, I'll check it out...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

The hew hostel in southern Pa is located between the Birch Run Shelter and Toms Run Shelter. For NOBOs the hostel is 1.3 miles north of Birch Run at the Shippensburg Rd trailhead. Go trail east about 800 feet to the first dirt driveway on the right. Walk back the drive to the 5th house on the left.

I did a section SOBO hike along that stretch in April; I actually yellow-blazed down Shippensburg Rd. and walked right past it but I guess there were no signs up yet, or I didn't see any in the dense fog.

Good luck with the business!

Someone forgot to mention that High Mountain Haven in Michaux Sate Forest is a very pet friendly hostel, and they have secure long term parking for section hiker vehicles. The trail is only 500 feet from the property but the local maintaining club will not let them blue blaze a trail, therefore everyone must walk the road and the driveway.

My son stayed at the Haven on a section hike and he said He had a great time... Chickenwing and Mt.rose were great hosts... and man was there some good cooking. He plans on going back. I urge all long distance hikers to find some solitude at High Mt, Haven

Quote Originally Posted by ATladyinpa View Post
    My son stayed at the Haven on a section hike and he said He had a great time... Chickenwing and Mt.rose were great hosts... and man was there some good cooking. He plans on going back. I urge all long distance hikers to find some solitude at High Mt, Haven
    I thought you owned the hostel?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Thumbs up

Stayed at High Mountain with Chickenwing and Mt Rose when I section hiked through there last year. I forget the cost - quite reasonable, though, and quite hospitable. Keith and his mom shared many stories with us, and made sure that we were back on the trail when we asked to be, as well as where. Keith also has worked with a few hikers to shuttle and play the support role, especially for hikers trying to keep going but a little injured. They have had many hikers stay there (as noted by the many signatures on their picnic table). Keith has some pretty grand plans for the property - I hope they come to fruition for him. Offers were made for us to have dinner, breakfast, or even a milkshake, but we turned those offers down. (Basic fees were for the bed (comfortable air mattress) and a shower, add costs for the meals - but reasonably priced). Great folks and a nice place to stay. Thanks for the memory

RICK .... Thanks for the kind word and hope to see you again in the future

High mountain haven is Closing, effective Monday June 18, 2012..... If you have pending mail drops they will still be available as well as Mt. Rose's shuttles

++ New Posts ++