WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I had to double check to see if this was in the humor forum...

I would never pay or purchase something so absurd....Geeze, who would come up with something like this??

Dont answer that. Please. I know the answer..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

NO....... Theirs to many other trails to hike, The AT's not the only trail around.

i would pay to breath, worship the devil to breath, and kill to breath. pay to hike, sure.
    matthewski

ill be dead in a few moments. id pay to do anything else.
    matthewski

Images

First of all, the idea is not absurd or nuts... OP was just asking if a standard practice applied elsewhere would work for the AT, and I think its a valid point. I also think its impractical as many have pointed out. There are lots of laws on the books that have good merit for what they're intended to do, but its bogging down our legal/enforcement system and wasting resources instead of adding to the pot. On the other hand, I'd love to have one of those ridgerunner enforcer jobs!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Years ago I used to hunt ducks and for that I purchased the federal duck stamp. It's a tax that is used to improve wetlands so it helps ducks and all other creatures in the wetland. I no longer hunt ducks but I still buy the duck stamp. If they could start such a fund that would be used to improve all the hiking trails I would be willing to purchase a hiking stamp. This would only truly work if it was required for all. You want to hike the Appalachian Trail? You would be required to purchase a AT stamp. Would you support such a tax?
    It's almost like that for the Florida Trail.

WRT to the AT, the short answer is, No. The not so long answer is, I wouldn't really mind paying for a stamp if it was needed, but it's not; it's like taxes, the more we give them the more fraud and waste there is.

Images

hell no......
    don't like logging? try wiping with a pine cone.

Images

No I would not pay to hike the AT.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I would pay for a permit.

I find it interesting...everyone wants to dance,nobody wants to pay the piper.
    Isn't there another forum on here somewhere complaining about the condition of the trail and shelters?
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

YES! OK message is too F****** short. I would not support a you can only hike if you pay but give me a patch and stamp and I would. OOH OOH and a sticker for the back of my Tracker
    Alcohol was involved!

Images

Nope. Not happening.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

the people who wont pay are mad about it and the people who will pay are calm about it.so the people who will pay, and are calm about it,..make the folks getting paid happy. or maby you belive their are no folks , just funds. no , folks,.... their are folks getting rich from your farts. studys on farts, reports of fat farts, all sorts of weird crap is going on. best to not fund and craplike funding.
    matthewski

I don't want to pay for a stamp, but I do pay to be a member of the ATC. There, the money does (seem) to go to the trail, and I can vote on the officers who make the decisions about where the money goes. I have to trust that they make reasonable, if not good, decisions. The money isn't taken away by some senator from a state that's far, far away to go to a project that I don't care about. I don't get a stamp, but over the years they've sent me some stickers, address labels and a lapel pin. :-)

Pringles

PS--And they support this really cool trail I know about!

Images

I would pay for a permit, but would expect more services for it.

Places to get rid of trash, bear cables, trail maintenance, privys. I'd be willing to pay more for that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I would pay for a permit, but would expect more services for it.

Places to get rid of trash, bear cables, trail maintenance, privys. I'd be willing to pay more for that.
    Maybe you could get a few friends together, pool your money, and just get it done at the sections you feel need more amenities. Places to get rid iof trash are all over the place, just not in the woods- carry it out.
    Or donate some money to your local hiking club responsible for trail maintenance. Or volunteer for trail maintenance.

Images

I pay enough already, but if you were able to furnish hot showers, I might pay a little more(and towels, masseuses.)

This is why I would vote Libertarian.........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Maybe you could get a few friends together, pool your money, and just get it done at the sections you feel need more amenities. Places to get rid iof trash are all over the place, just not in the woods- carry it out.
    Or donate some money to your local hiking club responsible for trail maintenance. Or volunteer for trail maintenance.
    ...everybody's got one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    This is why I would vote Libertarian.........
    Would, will or did?

Don't blame me, I voted for Badnarik and then Barr.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++