WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ediquite question

your thruhiking and someone starts a fire where your camped or in the same watershed your shareing. its in an established firering leagaly burning. but the wind precludes any form of saftey. its way way too windy for a fire. somehow sparks flying wildly far off from the fire arent starting other fires. but the suggestion you made as they were starting the fire that it may be windy enough to be concerned for the risk of forrest fire, went unheard. now you bed down and wonder, do you have a personal responsibility to the others in your group to walk over and beat the living crap out of their fire or them? or do you be passive and pray and be ready to fight for your lives and just go to sleep knowing that at least you will be there to help if the fire does start killing your friends?
    matthewski

camp up wind and pray the stupid **** doesn't start a forest fire.

or, if you're feeling particularly aggressive, beat the **** out of him.

or, if you're drunk, pee on the fire. from upwind, of course.

Images

good question. maybe you could politely ask them to sleep downwind of the fire to ensure they burn before the forest? and the word is etikette.

Sounds to me like its time to start cookin' bacon is all.

That was easy............ next.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Sounds to me like its time to start cookin' bacon is all.

That was easy............ next.
    i like you.

cause to me, forrest fires can be prevented sometimes for the good of all. and once i made trouble and almost lost 3 friends to my aggression. i walked out and camped a few miles away in the end. but my question is, should i have done so after the first suggestion that their fire would put us all at risk?

serial?
    cs?
    ab?

chime in please. ive allways been curiouse how you all saw my behavior on that night?
    matthewski

met one of the seven smokeys. they wouldnt say if he was number one. but he wasnt cause we all know what happened to him.
    matthewski

Images

its a tough one, matty. personal risk vs public safety.Heroic? rash?I dont know that I would push the issue beyond the first sayso.

I can't think straight, I'm still visualizing kanga peeing on the fire.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Be sure to visualize from upwind.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    your thruhiking and someone starts a fire where your camped or in the same watershed your shareing. its in an established firering leagaly burning. but the wind precludes any form of saftey. its way way too windy for a fire. somehow sparks flying wildly far off from the fire arent starting other fires. but the suggestion you made as they were starting the fire that it may be windy enough to be concerned for the risk of forrest fire, went unheard. now you bed down and wonder, do you have a personal responsibility to the others in your group to walk over and beat the living crap out of their fire or them? or do you be passive and pray and be ready to fight for your lives and just go to sleep knowing that at least you will be there to help if the fire does start killing your friends?
    ...and that's exactly why you always carry a firearm.

Images

seriously - you can try to say something to them - friendly and tactfully - I'd probably walk up to the fire like I was going to hang out and then say, "whoa ... this thing might be getting a little big ..... hey man, let's pour a little water on it and calm it down a bit .... yeah? think so? ...... ok, right on. then hang out a bit and give them a little taste of LNT .... just casually .... all of this might not work and it would depend on the situation exactly but it sounds like what I might try.

i think people are more important than trees. if that helps you decide where to camp.
    matthewski

im so starved for intelegent conversation my brain is groweling.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    seriously - you can try to say something to them - friendly and tactfully - I'd probably walk up to the fire like I was going to hang out and then say, "whoa ... this thing might be getting a little big ..... hey man, let's pour a little water on it and calm it down a bit .... yeah? think so? ...... ok, right on. then hang out a bit and give them a little taste of LNT .... just casually .... all of this might not work and it would depend on the situation exactly but it sounds like what I might try.
    I agree, just be cordial with them and all should be ok. However, there's a % out there that are seriously confrontational and that's where the firearm comes in handy.

Walk over and throw your cat in their face, that'll learn 'em!

no. were talking about someone chopping and gathering and felling and prepareing and laghing and makeing a fire . from whence there was none,.........during winds of 40 plus sustained. in a camp of camped campers and thrus there first, setteled, and after dark.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++