WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I'm 9 miles from trail North Duncannon Pa free place to stay "its rustic" see site

See my web site at
    http://directory.ic.org/22661/Vetera...n_Pennsylvania
    and feel free to email me and mom and plan a stay here on our farm. I am seeking others who want to maybe get involved here and make this a better place for hikers and veterans to be able to come to visit. I am retired from service and get a small pension and want to share this place with others. I also need help at times if your into rebuilding a log cabin i have all the materials and the site. Well check out my site and see my progress and get in touch. I am 9 miles as a crow flies to appalachian trail. I can even pick you up along the way near me. google ickesburg Pa and know i am closer to that from trail. We also have lots of amish and mennonites here so its real friendly. We also accept all people as we are not prejudice. Just celibate and spiritual and hard working.
    Daniel

That's very nice of you to offer.

However you shold know that the Doyle Hotel in downtown Duncannon, right on the trail, is a pretty popular place.

If folks do not take you up on your offer, please don't take it personally.

Default Be weary of this one ....

I reached out and made contact with this gentleman, and he blew up my phone when I specifically told him I wasn't able to talk and would be tied up for the afternoon, I'd call him later. He made 6 calls in 2-3 hours and 4 voice mails. Then he writes me a reply that seems contradictory of what he has posted below ....

"I am not looking for anyone who just wants to stop by here or there. I need a live-in kinda roommate helper. I need to get to know them. So i wish you well."

I hate to burst this mans bubble but White Blaze isn't a roommate board, and with hiker culture in general all he's really going to find is people coming and going. 9 miles as the crow flies is great, but in reality he is 25+ miles as the car drives from the nearest possible stretch of the AT.

Actually you had mentioned being a veteran and wanting to join me in my venture. You also wanted me to give you a ride to upstate NY but i told you i had my 88 yr old mother i was caregiving. You never got back to me about the veteran thing. I am sorry i am not your taxi service all over the NE. I had offered to bring you here, but you had a package in NY you had to get. I wish you well.

For anyone else interested please see my site here http://directory.ic.org/22661/Vetera...n_Pennsylvania and read my blog and see my pictures yourself before you take this one hikers report as fact.

Images

I wish you the best of luck.

Panzer (ps, I'm not a vetern even if my name is panzer)

Sounds good, I'm working on my disability right now, probably won't get it, the VA denied it 3 times. Anyways, I have wanted to live on the AT since I finished my thru last year, and I probably will, after I get some debt paid off, or not, depending on how they do the interest. Anyways, I always come up with the question of what to do during the winter. Hiking would be brutal during Nov-feb at least.

Default I think you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by VeteranMnTnFarm View Post
    Actually you had mentioned being a veteran and wanting to join me in my venture. You also wanted me to give you a ride to upstate NY but i told you i had my 88 yr old mother i was caregiving. You never got back to me about the veteran thing. I am sorry i am not your taxi service all over the NE. I had offered to bring you here, but you had a package in NY you had to get. I wish you well. <br>
    <br>
    For anyone else interested please see my site here <a href="http://directory.ic.org/22661/Veterans_Mountain_farm___swords_to_plowshares_in_P ennsylvania" target="_blank">http://directory.ic.org/22661/Veterans_Mountain_farm___swords_to_plowshares_in_P ennsylvania</a> and read my blog and see my pictures yourself before you take this one hikers report as fact.
    If you were directing this to my post about our communication I am afraid you are greatly mistaken sir and have the wrong person.

I am not nor did I ever claim to be a veteran. I have never ever asked you for a ride anywhere especially since i have my own Jeep and no reason to go to upstate NY. Also since I am not a thru hiker I sure don't have any package to pick up anywhere.

On the contrary I was living down in Maryland and relocating to Pennsylvania not too far from you. I thought the sounds of learning new skills and helping you with ones I already know or have read up on sounded useful and excited, especially with my knowledge of log cabins and composting toilets and you thinking of rebuilding a cabin. Also I was excited about the intended nature of your project for veterans and hikers. Your claims of openness and acceptance seemed legitimate. With my experience in scouting and the OA and my love of the AT I very much love to performing unselfish service to others.

But you blew me off for wanting to come up and meet you first, said something along the lines of needing someone to move in permanent and not someone who will come and go as they please, which not having even meet me or tried to get to know me was awfully judgmental for you to assume I am a flighty person who is undependable and unable to commit to a task or projects I undertake. Also the "come and go" argument doesn't make sense when you are trying to attract AT Hikers. Hiker culture in general is a very come and go sort of community, not that I am that way personally, I actually grow very fond and attached to people. I am so sorry though for not wanting to move into a place I have never been to or seen with people I have never ever meet.

Those are the facts, I saved the phone log and ALL of our communications and can prove it.

Journal Entries

wow! sounds like the movie: wrong turn?!?! run folks!

Well forgive me. I may have you mixed up with another person. Anyway i still am open to helping others who seek a stop over along their travels on the trail. Summer is done and i have harvested and canned my food for winter. I pray you all have a good winter.

++ New Posts ++