WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default A silly question about footwear

I don't want to start a debate over boots vs. trail shoes, but my question is, will one pair of well-built footwear last all the way from Georgia to Maine? Or do you have to get a new pair of shoes once you break out of the rock fields of Pennsylvania?

I plan on using Tevas at night in camp and for fording streams, but otherwise, can I make it without having to break in a second pair of boots/shoes?

Silverstone

Well built boots could make it. Trail shoes will not. Most folks who wear trail runners, for instance, will go through 3 or 4 pair in an AT thru-hike.

Images

I get 500-600 miles on a pair of light trail runners. At $90 each, they are far more expensive (in the long run) than my old $300 Scarpa boots -- but they are so much more comfortable that the extra cash is worth it to me.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I get 500-600 miles on a pair of light trail runners. At $90 each, they are far more expensive (in the long run) than my old $300 Scarpa boots -- but they are so much more comfortable that the extra cash is worth it to me.
    Good advice.

one of the crew at carter hut told me his biggest challenge is taping up shoes well enough to get to gorham. get new shoes before entering the whites.

Images

It's about the midsole.

I'm a boot person myself. went through 4 pairs. the longest lasted almost 900 miles, the worst pair only got 300 miles before I shipped them home (recognized the signs of impending failure). All were from top-end, well known, reputable (or should i say, 2 were from formerly reputable) names. I have never had a pair of the very high end, custom made boots but I cannot imagine any pair going 2100+ miles. One piece of manufacturing technique that seems to make a big difference (imo) is stitched vs. glued soles.

Salomon GTX 4D boots. Mid-high cut. Lightweight (for boots), comfy, goretex lining where the shoe meets the sole. Kinda expensive, ~200$, but I like them. They'd make it the whole way, but you'd probably need to replace them after the hike.
    Made it down the coast in seventeen hours/ Pickin' me a bouquet of dogwood flowers

Here's my boots... very little break-in needed... no hotspots last year... awesome... I think they'll last me for years...

http://www.nicekicks.com/2009/02/nike-acg-ashiko-boot/
    Day Glow

++ New Posts ++