WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default It's Official. Heading north next March!

Ok, so I jumped the gun a little bit and posted in the Class of 2012 section yesterday.

But today it's official--I'm NOBO next March. My truck is paid off, most of my debt is cleared, and so far the local support group/family is behind me and not only willing to help, but excited for me.

I've got a looooong way to go to get in shape, but I'm doing 1.2 miles every day around the office park during my lunch hour, and on my days off, it's some sort of local trail with a pack. I need some new gear, and that'll come later as the summer progresses, but every spare dime I earn in the next nine months is going in the trail fund. (But I *did* go to REI today and join the co-op and pick up a couple of sweet nalgene bottles, plus a good half-hour of window shopping).

I'm pretty damn excited, and my brother is jealous.

Images

Making the commitment public is a good motivator. Good luck with your training, planning, and holding the excitment back for a year. It's all part of the experience!

Ga.------>Me. ~2012~ pdcollins6092's Avatar

Not sure what date you plan on starting but I'm going to start on March 1st. so I may see you out on the trail.

Pre Planning 2012 Thru Hike Switchback2012's Avatar
    Images

Good Luck Siverstone!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Nalgene bottles weigh. Just take a plain old Aqua fina bottles or the like.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If possible, Rather than picking a specific date to start in March, it may work better if you can make a start that is dependant on the 15 day weather forecast. A good start is very important to a successful thru-hike. I don't know if it's the learning curve or something mental, perhaps something to do with foot conditioning but a bad weather first week drives many people off the trail. I understand that many people have to start on a specific date because of plane tickets or having no place to live etc. My advice is, if you can, let the weather pick your start date for you. Good luck.

Journal Entries

good luck silverstone, i hope to be there with you. i have a jug that i'm saving my dollars. got it up to 700.00 bucks so far. i go to the outfitters store and just hang out....... hope i'm not weird!

Congrats Silverstone! That is awesome! I am planning for 2013, but like you will have to wait to make it official.

Moldy, that is really good advice. I haven't thought of it like that. I will definitely keep it in mind for when I start mine.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    If possible, Rather than picking a specific date to start in March, it may work better if you can make a start that is dependant on the 15 day weather forecast. A good start is very important to a successful thru-hike. I don't know if it's the learning curve or something mental, perhaps something to do with foot conditioning but a bad weather first week drives many people off the trail. I understand that many people have to start on a specific date because of plane tickets or having no place to live etc. My advice is, if you can, let the weather pick your start date for you. Good luck.
    Intitial 15 day forecast research is something that has escaped my 2012 thru-hike plans...great advice! W-W

good luck with the training, planning and hike next year!! we have several great areas for day hikes and/or short backpacking trips in middle Tennessee, although nothing approaching the elevation changes one will see on the trail. If you want or need any info on local trails, PM me.

Congrats brother! wish you well....I'm planning on 2014 NOBO..so a little ways off, but time flies...

exciting to see others following their dreams..Slainte
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?!

I really gotta figure some way to get a big hike planned just don't want to have to give up my job to do it. I could probably finesse 2 months without much problem since I already get 5 weeks vacation a year, 3-4 more unpaid would be easy enough.

Hey I am also starting in the beginning of march...depending on the weather...hope to see you out there

Hey I am also starting in the beginning of march...depending on the weather...hope to see you out there

++ New Posts ++