WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Light, functional headlamps?

I used to think a Princeton Tec Quad was a lightweight headlamp.

Then I got a tiny Cyclops. Great battery life, not much light.

And finally I found the Princeton Tec Scout - a bit heavier than the Cyclops but many more feaures. 3 light levels and 2 strobe speeds and still uses lithium coin batteries.

What is your favorite lightweight 3 season headlamp? Why?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SARHV6

this one I just picked up cause it was so small. really good for the size. it is tiny.

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Saint.../dp/B002QIQ80K

I also have this one. I use this one a lot for work.

Didnt buy wither off of amazon but easiest place to find them. I use the small one in camp or reading and the like and the other when I need a bigger light. I also have a few others but nothing too special.

I'll be taking my new Tikka 2 Plus this time. Princeton Tec Quad last time.

aka Kudzu
    Images

The e+Lite rocks!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHMQ8wIwAw#

50 lumens, more than 3x the e+lite, so you can hike in the dark if need be. Personally, I want a bright enough light to be able to hike with it in an emergency, or just to extend the day.

Images

Spark is about to come out with a AA battery version of their 500 lumen headlamp that uses a pair of AA batteries. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that the lowest setting is too bright.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

very light: Photon II with a mini-mag light headstrap (less than one oz)

Able to get batteries anywhere:

Coast Head lamp (also branded under different names)
    A simple head lamp for the little time I need one in camp. Takes a standard AAA battery (found anywhere!), weighs about an ounce and is compact. Good for emergencies on day hikes, too!

All-purpose, budget one?

Energizer 3 LED Head lamp

A bargain at $10 or so. Even comes with the three AAA batteries! With the red LED, it is great when sharing a tent with someone, a backcountry hut trip or night hiking (won't ruin your night vision). The two main lights are good enough to see at night with if more light is needed. And at 2.5 ounces, and the price, it is a good head lamp for someone who wishes to get into backpacking and does not want to break the bank. It is a great general purpose head lamp at a bargain price!

More at:

http://www.pmags.com/mags-backpackin...lor-commentary
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

+1 on the tikka2... love mine! only 81grams (lighter than it seems) WITH the batteries, simple, reliable, proven design with excellent brightness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    All-purpose, budget one?

Energizer 3 LED Head lamp

A bargain at $10 or so. Even comes with the three AAA batteries! With the red LED, it is great when sharing a tent with someone, a backcountry hut trip or night hiking (won't ruin your night vision). The two main lights are good enough to see at night with if more light is needed. And at 2.5 ounces, and the price, it is a good head lamp for someone who wishes to get into backpacking and does not want to break the bank. It is a great general purpose head lamp at a bargain price!

I have and use the Energizer shown here. My main complaint about it is that the switch (shown in the photo) is easily jossled in the pack if not careful. 2X I have dug the headlamp out in the "on" position, once with the batteries mostly spent, the second time well spent, but still usable. The switch has 3 positions: White-OFF-Red. Battery life seems shorter than I would have expected. On the bright side, mine weighs 2.9 oz with lithium batteries loaded, which is as light as many of the other headlamps on the market.

As I am disappointed with the switch, I am looking for something new and lightweight that won't break the bank. It would be nice to have something which used AAAs, is under 3 oz, has multiple brightnesses, but is easy (but not TOO easy) to switch.

Every piece of gear is a compromise, and every hiker will interpert a different balance best suited for their needs.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Every piece of gear is a compromise, and every hiker will interpert a different balance best suited for their needs.

I can make it any combo of good, fast (light) and cheap...but not all three.
    --Anon.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I can make it any combo of good, fast (light) and cheap...but not all three.
    --Anon.
    Agreed!
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Stay away from the PrincetonTec Byte - terrible little headlamp for backpacking.

Seriously consider the Streamlight Enduro - ~$15. Waterproof, tough, regulated, can take lithiums, simple to operate and easy to feed. One of the best "little" headlamp designs ever done.

Next step up is the EOS of course, but that isn't a "lightweight" headlamp really.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Spark is about to come out with a AA battery version of their 500 lumen headlamp that uses a pair of AA batteries. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that the lowest setting is too bright.
    This will be about 110 grams with batteries.

I'll refer you to a thread I started at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71549 first. Second, I have found this to be enough light for what I need whether it's to read, find gear, or avoid poison ivy while taking a leak in the middle of the night, this thing rocks! Unfortunately there are two "bad" things about the little thing.. one is it's small, but this isn't too bad since you can wear it as a necklace, and two.. the batteries it uses can be difficult to find.. and expensive.

I have used a Princeton Tec Fuel in the past and been fairly happy with it. Good bright light, easy-enough operation, and the batteries can be changed out rather easily (using the tool on the headband). However, I had troubles with the head band sometimes wanting to come loose from the lamp, plus it does not feature the hiker friendly red light so I have moved on.

I then picked up the Petzl e+LITE and love the features and the weight (1 oz with batteries ~ and a pair of extra batteries are only 0.2 oz extra!) but I will have to take it out some more to determine if it will be adequate lighting for me. If the lighting is enough for me, I believe this will be the perfect little headlamp...

If the e+LITE does not work out for me, I will go with the Petzl Tikka 2 Plus. It is a little brighter than the Fuel and weighs 0.15 oz more, but it features the nice red light. Lots of great reviews on this headlamp and I feel like it would be suitable for me.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Ounces are the little-death

Anyone want to update their experiene with the e+lite? I really want a new headlamp with a red light because I feel rude using white in a shelter.

I disagree on th Byte. For the low weight I think it is a pretty good light. My only complaint is the red light is pretty weak but is okay as long as the batteries are juiced. It can also use lithium.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

You're not going to find a clear winner. The truth is, most any headlamp over $40 will do everything you need.

Having said that, this is my winter light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BU92R0. It'll give you a sunburn.

Images

Black Diamond Spot gets my vote right now - has both spot and diffused white LED's that dim, and red to preserve night vision. The Petzl elite is okay for minimal duties around camp, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for any night hiking if needed.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Piggy back.

I need to find the equivalent of a Dorcy LED single penlight. Has the twist on the bottom, with the button for a quick shot of light. Or if you have an unused one- wanna part with it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++