WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User MisplacedMainer's Avatar
    Images

Default Thoughts on Stoic?

I've been looking at Stoic's merino hiking shirts and figured I would get some input from the WB community. Anyone have experience with this company?
    He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

Yep, I have a few pieces of their stuff. The fit is hit and miss (as in, sometimes the sleeves are too long in proportion to the chest, etc.), but it's good quality. The merino hiking shirts, if they're the ones I'm thinking of, are nice and the fit is fine.

I believe that is Backcountry.com's house brand now.

Yep, Stoic was born from Backcountry.com.

I have some of their merino socks and one of the Merino Bliss 150 Shirts. I recently got a very deep coupon on Stoic, so I picked up about 5 pairs of the socks and this shirt for $30.

I bought the shirt a in an XL hoping that it would be a little loose, and it is. It has a half zip on the front and a large front zip pocket. The sleeves come down nearly to my elbow, but I like that. It is soft against my skin and feels nice. I am interested in seeing how it performs in this summers heat...

I am not so sure about the socks. They pill a bunch, and it makes me wonder how they will hold up in the long run. My SmartWool socks never piled this much though.

I can reccomend someone buying the shirt, if it was what they are looking for, but I am not so sure that I would buy the socks again. But to be fair, I haven't really wore them in yet, so I will have to see about them...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Hike smarter, not harder.

Sleeves are long on the one I got on closeout for $20 (at Backcounty), but otherwise I really like it.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

raising the dead here... i have a stoic tent and i love it (the Alpine Suite 4p). great quality and craftmanship (on par with more recongizable, high-end brands) without the sticker shock.

I have a Stoic Somnus 30 bag I got for $150 from a back country sale in the spring. I have used it a dozen times and it has been great. It is light and packs small.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Images

I have a stoic 150 merino long sleeve shirt. Fit is a little snug but overall good quality.

Images

I've had a few jackets and base layers. Not bad not great. Basically, you get what you pay for. Sizing is all over the place.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I had a 2.2 oz. Stoic hooded windshirt, in orange, that was fantastic on top of some of the blustery Whites this fall. Unfortunately it apparently fell out of my side pocket while ascending Baldpate on an increasingly stormy morning. I was really bummed. I just hope that someone found it and is making use of it.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

i have a stoic long sleeve quarter zip with thumbholes.
    Its made well enough.
    Kind of heavy ~8 oz

I dont wear it much. In cool weather I prefer a body-fitting tight baselayer with my SS ultralight shirt worn on top.

It seems nearly every gear manufacturer has released a line of down and merino wool pieces this year. I didn't know there was so much supposedly high end level down(800 + in my book) or merino wool available. Just three yrs ago 800 + down gear and the very best merino wool hiking clothing was hard to find except in the upper echelons of pricey hiking gear. It seems like SO MANY gear maunfacturers are touting their high end down and merino wool gear these days. It makes me say HUMMM? Is everyone rating their down and merino wool the same? I'll go out on a limb and say - NO.

That being said, I like the quoted specs on Stoic's Hadron 850 down? Hoodie pullover weighing in at about 8 oz. for about $110. Would love to review it further.

I'm Goose, the one that will go on that wild chase. LazySquatch's Avatar

I have been wanting to pull the trigger on the Hadron Anorak myself. Your should grab one Dogwood and share what you think

Stoic makes great stuff. Check the reviews for comments about fit, as they sometimes have wonky fits. My GF and I have been extremely pleased with their merino shirts, fleece gloves, softshells, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MisplacedMainer View Post
    I've been looking at Stoic's merino hiking shirts and figured I would get some input from the WB community. Anyone have experience with this company?
    I have a long sleeve 1/2 zip top, it's warm, but the fit under the arm pits is too tight for me, can't wear it over a short sleeve tee, may be those massive shoulders I have (IMD). It's okay worn alone though, I like other brands better.

Forgot to add, make sure to check for them on steepandcheap or departmentoffoods.com I get my stoic merino shirts only when they are around $20 each.

Quote Originally Posted by konradchen View Post
    Stoic makes great stuff. Check the reviews for comments about fit, as they sometimes have wonky fits. My GF and I have been extremely pleased with their merino shirts, fleece gloves, softshells, etc.
    I bought the lightest Stoic Bliss long sleeve (the 150?), and I love it. It has survived 1000+ miles of hiking this year and is still in great shape. Even with all the thorny stuff in Arizona, it has been surprisingly resistant to snags and tears. I have rather long arms, so the extremely long sleeves with thumb holes are ideal (although if I use the thumb holes, the sleeves are a hair short). I bought one of the heavier (200?) shirts as a casual long sleeve that I'll wear around in the winter. I definitely recommend them.

The GoLite Koli merino wool short sleeve, on the other hand...

Images

I bought my wife a stoics primaloft hoodie several tears ago and she loves it great fit and good quality

I could really like the long sleeve 1/4 zip tee I got from them if it were not for the tight fit in the arm pits, as it is, I rarely wear it.

++ New Posts ++