WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
    Come on, you all know deep in your hearts that this whole thing was a hoax.
    Speak for yourself.
    I know no such thing
    If you
    know something we don't, don't hint around.
    Come out with it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Speak for yourself.
    I know no such thing
    If you
    know something we don't, don't hint around.
    Come out with it.
    Think, what are the odds of at random, someone having thier shoes stolen? say 100 to 1. Then on the same hike being chosen to being beat up? Another 100 to 1? 100 X 100 = 10,000 to 1. I don't like the odds.
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

I had my shoes taken by a coyote once.
    My brother mistakenly took someone else's (thru-hikers) shoes once.

You want to call me a liar? Ok, but you should have some proof if you want to be taken seriously.

On a northern Ontario hike I had my shoes stolen in the middle of the night.. I was a four day walk from the trailhead.. The next morning I began the trek back to my car in my flip flop camp shoes... Two nights after that I had my hung food stolen... Carabiner and bearline hanging neatly in the tree, but the bag of food was gone. At this point it was clear I had someone stalking me, so I never bothered stopping the remaining 23 hrs out to the car.

Reported it to police, who first couldn't believe anyone still "backpacked"... Then informed me that there where several "odd balls" and "loners" living in the woods around here.. They didn't take it serious and told me I wasn't ever at risk and to stick to "developed" hiking trails in the future..

holy crap whats wrong with people... hope justice is done and nature boy recovers fast and well..

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I had my shoes taken by a coyote once.
    My brother mistakenly took someone else's (thru-hikers) shoes once.

You want to call me a liar? Ok, but you should have some proof if you want to be taken seriously.
    Where in any of my posts did I call anyone a liar? I enjoy elaborate jokes, such as this "record attempt" was and just want everyone to see it for what it was.
    John Carnahan
    [email protected]

Images

Don't think it is a hoax. I only know the guy from his ultra-running races, his numerous posts on Trail Journals and other web pages. I can tell you that the 100 mile trail runs he ran are extremly well monitored with numerous check points so you can't falsify your effort there. Also, both 100 mile foot races are very rugged and similar and sometimes tougher than the AT. His first 100 was the Pinhotti Trail and the 2nd was a Georgia race held near Dawsonville in extremely muddy, rainy, miserable conditions. These runs take place all day and all night. Nature Boy finished near the top. He was in a little tent camped in a muddy field near the start finish/line and the area was being continuously drenched with cold rain I think the completion rate of all the entrants was about 33%. I was there and I can speak for Nature Boy's mental toughness.

According to his reports which seem to be verified by others, he has thru-hiked the AT 3 times. Others could verify his efforts there.

I highly doubt that he would get any corporate sponsorship without his background thoroughly being checked. If he pulled off a hoax, he would be banned from any further sponsorship for life. As it stands, he is still in good standing with those sponsors and they will want him to try again.

The more I dig into this situation, the more I am learning. It appears that there was an assault last year, first posted on WB by Lone Wolf.
    http://www.swvatoday.com/news/articl..._beating/8434/

This sounds like a similar situation. The sad thing is that the County dropped all the charges.

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/...s-d-ar-800960/

So for all we know it could be the same 3 thugs who moved up the trail. They certainly aren't welcome around Damascus.

No, I don't think this was a hoax.

Where in any of my posts did I call anyone a liar? I.
    Maybe here:

No Hoax, No Lie.
    Improbable as it is . It Happened.
    I met with him the day after..want to call ME a liar?

Hey Alligator..1 vote to ban LBJ.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Where in any of my posts did I call anyone a liar? I enjoy elaborate jokes, such as this "record attempt" was and just want everyone to see it for what it was.
    You're saying it's a "hoax" but no one lied?

Quote Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
    .... The sad thing is that the County dropped all the charges......
    Please don't mislead readers by casting aspersions on the county. As you probably learned from researching this incident, the only reason charges were dropped was the victims refused to testify.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    You're saying it's a "hoax" but no one lied?

Please don't mislead readers by casting aspersions on the county. As you probably learned from researching this incident, the only reason charges were dropped was the victims refused to testify.
    That is why I posted the link. No need to repost everything in the original report.

I would be in the same situation as 2 victims except I would have originally filed a report which they did not. It is virtually impossible to come a thousand miles to a several day trial while you are working, trying to support a family, and trying to move on with your life. You see this same thing happen in many unprosecuted rapes because the victim wants to move on. In a trial you have to re-live the nightmare all over again.
    Unfortunately, charges get dropped and criminals persist... but I see these guys have been busted for unrelated drug charges so they seem to be on this earth to wreak havoc and they will get their day in h'll.

Nothing against the County or area was implied. I love the area. I love Damascus. I stayed at the Place and I stayed at the Appalcahian Inn house next to The Place back when it was a place to rent many years ago. All my experiences have been positive on the trail and in these areas. I know local people get very sensitive about a beautiful area getting a bad reputation, but it doesn't matter where you are. Stuff happens. For all the readers, it is most likely (99.999%) that you will not have an encounter anywhere on the trail. Just use common sense.

The problem I have is with the legal system. The prosecuter has the proof and evidence to press charges but generally in this Country the party charged has the right to face the party making the accusations in a court of law. That is what makes up a case and without both parties in court there usually is not a case.... or the case becomes too weak to stick.

I don't understand this crime at all. Is it related to his record attempt? No one else seems to be rivalling his goal, so a Nancy Kerrigan style hit wouldn't make sense. Was someone just really afraid of seeing him succeed?

I just don't get it. Why would anyone do this?!

Images

QUOTE=Fog Horn;1166559]I don't understand this crime at all. Is it related to his record attempt? No one else seems to be rivalling his goal, so a Nancy Kerrigan style hit wouldn't make sense. Was someone just really afraid of seeing him succeed?

I just don't get it. Why would anyone do this?![/QUOTE]

That is something we all have a difficult time understanding. Why are there just mean people out there? It may go back bullying where the perpetrator gets some kind satisfaction or feeling of power by beating up other people. Perhaps they were abused by their parents. This is often thought to be the cause for some of these crimes.

My only thought on the subject is that we need to teach our young people the beauty and value of life, keep them busy with productive acrivities, and many of the Christian ways of treating people the same way you want to be treated. Obviously there is much more, but I can't go on without creating an entire off-topic discussion.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Some hikers I met in Shenandoah at our picnic talked about the welt on the side of his face. They saw him in Waynesboro. And met him trying to hike but could not.

So lets put to rest anything of a hoax.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Fog Horn View Post
    I don't understand this crime at all. Is it related to his record attempt? No one else seems to be rivalling his goal, so a Nancy Kerrigan style hit wouldn't make sense. Was someone just really afraid of seeing him succeed?

To me it sounds like a stalker or crime of opportunity. He was very open in his postings on Facebook, often telling all of his "friends" where he was setting up camp. I guess all it takes is one person with bad intentions to be following his progress.
    The night before the incident, Nature boy commented "I'm loosing my mind....everywhere I go someone seems to be waiting for me. People are telling me my schedule and standing by my tent waiting for me"

I hope the law involved is doing a good job investigating this crime.
    Hiking is a buffet of walking.

Assuming this is true (as other's here are stating) and it was committed by someone unknown to him, then I would say it would most likely be due to other's jealousy, general unhappiness, and/or animosity directed towards people out living and enjoying their lives.

dapper, jelosy aint it. pure evil dont stop at being just jelouse. to beat someone takes damage.the perps were damaged severly. all criminals like them are. they have tourtured animals and lite cats and swung them on ropes and stuff like that. were not talking about folks who can be reintegrated into sociaty after simple jail and theropy. we need to kill bad people. just like we kill bad grizzlys or bad lions or bad rats or anything that threatens human life. by loosing our guts for killing evil, we open the door to evil . and when evil sees an open door, well, its party time.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Boston View Post
    To me it sounds like a stalker or crime of opportunity. He was very open in his postings on Facebook, often telling all of his "friends" where he was setting up camp. I guess all it takes is one person with bad intentions to be following his progress.
    The night before the incident, Nature boy commented "I'm loosing my mind....everywhere I go someone seems to be waiting for me. People are telling me my schedule and standing by my tent waiting for me"

I hope the law involved is doing a good job investigating this crime.

Its funny because a while back, when I first joined whiteblaze I made a comment that for my safety I would likely fudge the date of any trail journal or facebook entry so that no one would know where I was unless I was checking in with them some other way. People said that I was paranoid, and that no one would harm me by knowing where I was.

Now, I KNOW that I'm going to fudge my numbers. Sure, I'm not quasi famous like he is, but as mentioned, it only takes one person.

Images

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/176269 and here's one where the person got 8 years for assaulting a hiking, it happens on the trail it happens in the towns you should always be thinking safety look both way's before crossing a road, don't mess with a bear and her cubs, never talk to strangers on the trail that don't smell as bad as you do...
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Its funny because a while back, when I first joined whiteblaze I made a comment that for my safety I would likely fudge the date of any trail journal or facebook entry so that no one would know where I was unless I was checking in with them some other way. People said that I was paranoid, and that no one would harm me by knowing where I was.

Now, I KNOW that I'm going to fudge my numbers. Sure, I'm not quasi famous like he is, but as mentioned, it only takes one person.
    If I had saw your post I would have recommended you have a time lag when posting an online trail journal. Females have been stalked in the past; its easy for someone to figure out where you're gonna be if you post in real time.

As a matter of fact, when Wingfoot ran Trailplace he used to host trail journals. One of the females was met at a road crossing by a guy who developed a crush on her and was able to figure out where she would be. After that happened WF started to automatically delay posting journal updates.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++