WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    see thats why I like to carry a blowgun and a few poison darts.

Hikerboy, I see that you, too, are a ninja.
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Storyteller
    Images

Having spent many years as a cops reporter, I can tell you that there are very few random assaults. Most victims of violent crimes are targeted and most are committed by someone who knows the victim.

The biggest exceptions are cases where the victim is attacked during a theft, whether someone is home during a burglary, or a mugging/robbery on the street.

In those cases the perps were targeting something of value and the victim was "in the way."

I know we all think our hiking gear is very valuable, but in reality, crooks are not roaming the great outdoors looking to steal steripens and alcohol stoves.

For many years I have camped on fly fishing trips at a Pa. state park that is relatively easily accessible by car. Folks there routinely leave valuable fly rods and other gear unsecured and the only thing I have ever heard of being taken was a cooler.

That was recovered later the next day in the woods not far from the owner's camp site. The meat and food that was inside was gone. The cooler had big marks on each side and on the top from the claws and teeth of the bear that had taken it.

If carrying a weapon helps you sleep better at night, that is up to you. But the likelihood you will ever need/use it for protection is slimmer than a New York fashion model with a heroin habit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    Having spent many years as a cops reporter, I can tell you that there are very few random assaults. Most victims of violent crimes are targeted and most are committed by someone who knows the victim.

The biggest exceptions are cases where the victim is attacked during a theft, whether someone is home during a burglary, or a mugging/robbery on the street.

In those cases the perps were targeting something of value and the victim was "in the way."

I know we all think our hiking gear is very valuable, but in reality, crooks are not roaming the great outdoors looking to steal steripens and alcohol stoves.

For many years I have camped on fly fishing trips at a Pa. state park that is relatively easily accessible by car. Folks there routinely leave valuable fly rods and other gear unsecured and the only thing I have ever heard of being taken was a cooler.

That was recovered later the next day in the woods not far from the owner's camp site. The meat and food that was inside was gone. The cooler had big marks on each side and on the top from the claws and teeth of the bear that had taken it.

If carrying a weapon helps you sleep better at night, that is up to you. But the likelihood you will ever need/use it for protection is slimmer than a New York fashion model with a heroin habit.
    Very well put. Thanks.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    I sleep with an un-clicked blade next to my body, someone would have a rough night tryin to jump me in my sleep ... this is a very very rare occurance, yet by a punk ... still ... its very unlikely this would happen, yet the chance is still there ... otherwise this forum wouldn't be 11 pages+ .... but with trail journals and whiteblaze and facebook/twitter and any other source of information basicly within public reach, its the chance people take using those methods of updating family/friends ... you don't think this sort of thing will happen, but being prepared for it is a must ... be vigilant of those around you ... being caught by surprise is what will get you killed ...
    Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Looks like NB has some explaining to do and he ain't been talkin' or so it seems.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
    i hear ya ...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    I sleep with an un-clicked blade next to my body, someone would have a rough night tryin to jump me in my sleep ... this is a very very rare occurance, yet by a punk ... still ... its very unlikely this would happen, yet the chance is still there ... otherwise this forum wouldn't be 11 pages+ .... but with trail journals and whiteblaze and facebook/twitter and any other source of information basicly within public reach, its the chance people take using those methods of updating family/friends ... you don't think this sort of thing will happen, but being prepared for it is a must ... be vigilant of those around you ... being caught by surprise is what will get you killed ...
    Neither in these 11 pages, and nor in scores of pages in similar threads, no one has yet reported an incident in which a weapon had protected them from harm.

Normally I like thread-drift, but find it irritating for two reasons on this thread. 1. Lack of originality, i.e. weapons on the AT...yawn 2. Normally thread-drift takes place after the initial issue has been answered, but I'm still confused about the whole thing. I have no more clue about this topic than when it was first reported.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Neither in these 11 pages, and nor in scores of pages in similar threads, no one has yet reported an incident in which a weapon had protected them from harm.
    Thanks, weary, its about time someone brought that up. now lets see....

Images

Default What are you talking about???

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Looks like NB has some explaining to do and he ain't been talkin' or so it seems.
    He owes no one any explanation! He told what happened, then he went home to rest and recover. If you choose not to believe him, that is your problem. Why you think he owes you an explanation is beyond me. And anyone who knows Nature Boy will agree. He's no publicity hound. He's a quiet guy. Has been as long as I've known him.

Images

Default What we know...

So what do we know now? Did NB get attacked or not? Did he (or someone else) file a false report to the police? Did he run off to Ohio for good? Fact is indeed more stranger then fiction.
    1. Nature Boy was attacked
    2. He did not originally file a police report, but when contacted by the local authorities, did give them information as to the incident
    3. He went home to Ohio temporarily, but has since returned to Georgia

According to a mutual friend (with rescue experience) who saw him the morning after the incident, he had obvious injuries and a concussion. There was no doubt as to the attack.

Why? Because some internet trolls said he was lying about the whole thing with no proof to make those allegations?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    1. Nature Boy was attacked
    2. He did not originally file a police report, but when contacted by the local authorities, did give them information as to the incident
    3. He went home to Ohio temporarily, but has since returned to Georgia

According to a mutual friend (with rescue experience) who saw him the morning after the incident, he had obvious injuries and a concussion. There was no doubt as to the attack.
    Red Hat: Thanks for the follow up because I hate to see anyone attacked, especially someone hiking the AT. I'm glad that he has returned to the AT and we bring those who attacked him to justice.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Thanks, weary, its about time someone brought that up. now lets see....
    could be cuz 100% of all murder, rape, assault and robbery victims weren't armed or able to protect themselves? sheeple

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    could be cuz 100% of all murder, rape, assault and robbery victims weren't armed or able to protect themselves? sheeple
    Lol, debate over.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

dit.....to.

"...grab a stick, we're going for a walk."

and i'm pretty sure the perps committing these crimes can sniff out easy targets then prey on them. gonna happen more and more. thanks to the internet and popularity of the AT

So,you did pack for them 10000,00 miles ...with no real true thru AT hike?

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    So,you did pack for them 10000,00 miles ...with no real true thru AT hike?
    huh? you're confused......

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE I sleep with an un-clicked blade next to my body, [/QUOTE]

Darkage sleeps with a knife and has not been harmed ... So there!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++