WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bear Bags?

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    If you hike in bear territory for very long, you can see very clearly where they are.
    Clearly you don't hike in this neck of the woods often. Would take me 20 minutes to find all the bear sign you talked about within 100 yards of the trail.

Hikers rarely see anything more than a couple feet off the trail. I've actually been parked with my bright green and yellow tractor 20 feet off the trail and surprised hikers as they walked up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    Clearly you don't hike in this neck of the woods often. Would take me 20 minutes to find all the bear sign you talked about within 100 yards of the trail.

Hikers rarely see anything more than a couple feet off the trail. I've actually been parked with my bright green and yellow tractor 20 feet off the trail and surprised hikers as they walked up to me.

Dream on buddy. I've hiked in a broad selection of places in ADK, VT, QC and Ontario. I see bears EVERY year. When you spend much time in the woods, the presence or absence of bears is obvious.

Do me a favour and list all the places along the LT with "problem bears." Outside of Seth Warner in 2009, there ain't any. By now, even that bear has probably been shot.

I say sleep with your food on the LT, and don't worry about it. On the other hand, don't try that in ADK.

Come to Canada and we'll go hiking where there are actually some bears....

I didn't say problem bears....buddy. I said just because you don't see them or any sign while walking a 3 foot wide trail, doesn't mean they aren't there.

I live here. I'm on my land every day (which the trail passes thru) and I know whats here. Had F&W tracking radio collared bears a few weeks ago. They are just better behaved than your canadian blackies.

BTW, if you're talking about eastern canadian black bears, I'm unimpressed.....I grew up in Alaska and the Yukon, where they have real bears.

I didn't say problem bears....buddy. I said just because you don't see them or any sign while walking a 3 foot wide trail, doesn't mean they aren't there.

I live here. I'm on my land every day (which the trail passes thru) and I know whats here. Had F&W tracking radio collared bears a few weeks ago. They are just better behaved than your canadian blackies.

BTW, if you're talking about eastern canadian black bears, I'm unimpressed.....I grew up in Alaska and the Yukon, where they have real bears.
    Good point, as I haven't seen bears or any signs of bears on the LT the last two summers, nor did I hear anyone talk about seeing them (of course...........that doesn't mean they aren't there!).
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Good point, as I haven't seen bears or any signs of bears on the LT the last two summers, nor did I hear anyone talk about seeing them (of course...........that doesn't mean they aren't there!).
    That's the problem.....nobody sees them and then someone falsely posts on a public forum- "there ain't no bears"....which isn't helpful to hikers or bears.

I'm not saying everyone needs bulletproof canisters or kevlar bags, just be smart and remember you are in black bear country. There haven't been any incidents in recent history and we'd like to keep it that way.

i like the idea of the east coast bear canister.what size pretzel container or whatever would be the best to hold 4 days of food.

Images

There haven't been any incidents in recent history and we'd like to keep it that way.
    Excellent

I'm starting to find this thread somewhat amusing...just throw a damn line, end of problem, if one of those flying squirrals is around, get out your camera and enjoy the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I'm starting to find this thread somewhat amusing...just throw a damn line, end of problem, if one of those flying squirrals is around, get out your camera and enjoy the entertainment.
    Why not just use your food bag as a pillow and sleep on it, Lone Wolf style? Problem solved.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

I hang food out of habit. Amazing how 1 little mouse can do that to you.

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Why not just use your food bag as a pillow and sleep on it, Lone Wolf style? Problem solved.
    I know people who've hiked the PCT twice and used this method with no problems, I don't mind throwing a line, it's fun and kinda like my crossword at the end of the day, plus food makes a crappy pillow!

I have no hesitation about eating in my tent, I don't carry a stove so I often eat in my tent when it's raining.

Images

From what I hear, the LT North is too steep for bears.

Those crazy nocturnal flying squirrels would shred that thing in seconds.

Haven't seen any this far north, but they were north of Greylock about a decade ago and wreaked havoc on my stuff sacks.
    So for my SOBO hike in August would it be worth it to invest in a critter-proof bag (Ursack), or will the pretzel container in a stuff sack do the trick?

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by drumhaggart View Post
    So for my SOBO hike in August would it be worth it to invest in a critter-proof bag (Ursack), or will the pretzel container in a stuff sack do the trick?

-Steve
    Do whatever inspires you. Some guys use the pretzel container, some use stuff-sacks, and some just use grocery bags. Use the mouse hangers if you are in a shelter, but despite some of the paranoid advice in this thread, don't lose any sleep over the bears that you won't see.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    Do whatever inspires you. Some guys use the pretzel container, some use stuff-sacks, and some just use grocery bags. Use the mouse hangers if you are in a shelter, but despite some of the paranoid advice in this thread, don't lose any sleep over the bears that you won't see.
    I'm more worried about the small critters, hence the reason for the quote:
    Those crazy nocturnal flying squirrels would shred that thing in seconds.
    Hopefully someone that is either local to VT (as opposed to someone in "Constant Amazement"), or someone who has recently spent some continuous time on the LT has something to add.

I find it difficult to take you seriously when you respond to the question for the sole purpose of promoting your contention that (paraphrasing) "I didn't see any bears so that means that they're not there."

So...

Has anyone else out there lost food to the squirrels or other critters (porkys, raccoons, possums, chupacabras, etc)?

-Steve

Quote Originally Posted by drumhaggart View Post
    So...

Has anyone else out there lost food to the squirrels or other critters (porkys, raccoons, possums, chupacabras, etc)?

-Steve
    Around shelters- mice (and raccoons at lower elevations) at night, red squirrels during the day.
    Also had ravens attack my pack on Belvidere Mt. I left it near the tower to wander around and take pics and they were all over it. It was mid winter tho.

I use the pretzel container because the mice won't chew thru it. I can't say the same for my stuff sacks.

Ok...

So for my peace of mind I ordered an Outsack (less than 4 oz) and an odor proof liner.

I'll probably hang it outside if it's convenient, or inside if I'm feeling lazy (or 'adventurous').

Thanks for the input,

-Steve

when I was up there a few years ago, just into VT from Ct at the Seth Warner shelter, I was warned about the bear going after the bags in the tree, and trying to get onto the roof of the lean-too to get at the back packs. Everyone was yelling at the bear-open shelter LOL
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

I would pay good money to see something like that haha...Seth Warner has had problems for years, just like Walnut Mountain in NC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++