WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: vegetables

Default vegetables

I think i might be spoiled...
    Smug Vegetarian - Useless Section Hiker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We plan to grow sprouts while we hike this summer to supplement

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I dehydrate my own usually, but I have bought stuff from these guys - works well:

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Deh...ables_c_1.html

Also, as a long distance hiker and trail vegetarian (and gourmet) I've developed quite a few things I like to eat on the trail. Lots of "meat substitutes" keep really well for days - about like cheese (things like "Tofurkey" and "Soysage") - "Primal Strips" which are made of seitan are also a staple for me.

happy cooking!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Make up for it in town. I just made a waiter bring me a pound of cooked Broccoli with my ribs.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Extend your town veggies availability to the trail! When in a town with a decent sized produce dept take some fresh veggies and possibly fruit to the trail.

Here are some fresh veggies and fruits I've taken to the trail, clove of garlic, a carrot, avocado, banana, a bunch of green onions, potatoes, ginger root, onion, turmeric root, cucumber, fresh greens(shard, spinach, kale, etc), oranges, mangoes, chopped pineapple, celery, apples, kiwi, star apples, etc.

Be creative and look for fruits and veggies that hold up well for two days or so out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    We plan to grow sprouts while we hike this summer to supplement
    How do you grow sprouts on the trail? I was imagining a garden backpack but figured it was impossible. pics? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I dehydrate my own usually, but I have bought stuff from these guys - works well:

Also, as a long distance hiker and trail vegetarian (and gourmet) I've developed quite a few things I like to eat on the trail. Lots of "meat substitutes" keep really well for days - about like cheese (things like "Tofurkey" and "Soysage") - "Primal Strips" which are made of seitan are also a staple for me.

happy cooking!
    Thank you! I bring soy burgers and cheese usually... I too like to cook gourmet on the trail. Do you bring olive oil or what do you use to cook with?

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieHead View Post
    How do you grow sprouts on the trail? I was imagining a garden backpack but figured it was impossible. pics? thanks!
    In a waterbottle with a bit of cheesecloth bed (optional, really). Just wet the seeds and pour off the excess water. Repeat twice daily and the sprouts will grow. They don't need sunlight, and too much heat isn't really good for them so you can keep the waterbottle in your pack.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

One thing found all along the trail is dandilion greens. Another is plantain (not the banana-like fruit) it's actually a green ground dwelling plant of the species plantago. Both make a good base for salads, but be aware of where you're picking them. Fertilized lawns contain lots of herbicides and pesticides, and pastures often have e-coli bacteria present.
    Last edited by Tinker; 05-30-2011 at 18:49. Reason: spelling error
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post

happy cooking!
    Thank you! Just bought a dehydrator on amazon -->
    http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75PR-...6803694&sr=8-1

Hey... do you use a towel as a cutting board too? I just had an idea to make a kitchen towel that has a zipper pocket on one side for utensils/knife/spices... then keep organized when cooking, cut on towel, rest lids on towel, etc

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    One thing found all along the trail is dandilion greens. Another is plantain (not the banana-like fruit) it's actually a green ground dwelling plant of the species plantago. Both make a good base for salads, but be aware of where you're picking them. Fertilized lawns contain lots of herbicides and pesticides, and pastures often have e-coli bacteria present.
    Very cool... thank you. My wife knew what those were, sometimes she is smarter than me. HA

Maybe I can come up with a recipe for them and post it up. Do you know of any other trail food? I know something like potatoes or chickpeas woudl go nicely with greens... HA Thanks.

Add FRESH ramps, brook lettuce, Indian Cucumber root, Morel mushrooms(make sure you got the right mushroom!), ginseng(make sure you got the right item here too!), ginger root(all found on the AT), etc to those dandelion and plantain greens(also found AT side), some grown sprouts, a whole grain like Quinoa(I think it's actually a seed), and some EVOO and BAM! Kickin it up a notch veggie style on the AT!

Check out the recent sprouting thread here on WB started by Kepley titled
    "Sprouting." Lots of sproutin while hiking ideas!

Check this system out for sprouting while hiking at www.outdoorherbivore

I just got their mesh hemp bag and some seed for sprouting. Looking forward to trying it out on tail.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Same as Dogwood, just picked it up at Trail Days

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Now you have a dehydrator you can try this site for ideas.

http://www.trailcooking.com/

I love veggies, but not any more http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13608396

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I love veggies, but not any more http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13608396
    You caused further investigation --> http://www.about-ecoli.com/ecoli_outbreaks

it seems to happen pretty sporadically all over the world.

First night out from a town:

Fresh Bell peppers
    Yellow Onion
    Garlic
    Tomato/Basil Marinara
    Italian Sausage
    Bowtie Pasta
    &
    Some type of Italian Cheese (Mozz, Prov, Parm)

Use the context clues & make a Sunday Dinner first night out.

Don't listen to John. He's a member of the American Dairy and American Cattleman's Associations that want you to consume more of their "heathy" foods.

Only kidding John! You got a way of bringing some things up that pose little or no risk.

E. coli DOES NOT pose a substantial hazard IF foods are handled and grown properly. When veggies are contaminated with E.coli it can often be traced to contaminated water or when veggies come in contact with E. coli contaminated products, especially contaminated agricultural products(meat!)

Considering all the veggies that are consumed in all the developed countries worldwide the percentage of E. coli contaminated veggies is incredibly small, ESPECIALLY veggies grown organically in the U.S.!

Keep eating your veggies!

I don't usually post out of concern of risk or safety, more a thing of curiosity. BTW, You'll should see my veggie garden.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieHead View Post
    Very cool... thank you. My wife knew what those were, sometimes she is smarter than me. HA

Maybe I can come up with a recipe for them and post it up. Do you know of any other trail food? I know something like potatoes or chickpeas woudl go nicely with greens... HA Thanks.
    When you asked about other trail foods the first things that came to mind were wild berries and apples, but there's another item (besides ramps, which we don't have around here - but we do have wild onions which grow in abandoned fields and around cultivated plots) which came to mind - wild carrot (daucus carota - I will check spelling and correct if wrong). The tops look nearly identical to domesticated carrot, and, later in the year we come to know the flower as "Queen Anne's Lace". I'll Google it to see if I can find a picture.
    Here is more info than you'll ever need:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...=daucus+carota

Basically, I'd use the root to flavor a vegetable stew, but it's too woody to eat (though you can chew on it for some flavor and a few vitamins and minerals).
    Last edited by Tinker; 06-02-2011 at 08:27.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++