WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    ....I'm sure that Birchy is sorry he ever came on here to vent and wished he had kept it to himself, as he is likely to do with his future activities. I doubt that the considerations of fiat authorities has much to do with that decision.
    Birchy came on here with criticism of the largest and hardest working trail maintaining club for following the commonsense rules adopted as a result of 80 plus years of experience with the trail and its users.

The Appalachian Trail was created over many decades by thousands of volunteers, dedicated to creating a haven of wildness along the ridgeline of peaks that traverse the crowded east. That haven is being gradually destroyed by well-meaning do gooders who have no appreciation of the fragility of eastern wildness, nor of its importance.

Images

this thread has turned ugly

Panzer

Originally Posted by emerald
    Birchy claims to have read what's posted, but the most important points apparently got lost somewhere in the mountain of information because they didn't register with him. He needs to realize he does not own the land or make policy related to its management.

That is where you are wrong... WE ALL OWN THE LAND, it was our tax dollars that purchased it, and it is located in the middle of a State Forest which as a Pennsylvania resident, makes it my land, but not mine alone. If I leave my tent at a campsite while I go somewhere does that give a trail maintainer the right to take the rain fly because it may blow off and become LITTER

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    water at road crossings is not "trail magic" it's "hiker enabling". if you're gonna do it, stay on scene, dispense it then pick it all up and leave. what don't y'all understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    If this continues, hikers will soon associate road-crossings with water and food. At those locations where they find nothing, they will likely move down the road, knock on doors and yogi for food and water. Soon residents will be complaining to trail police about hikers knocking over trash cans at night, and eating their pets. Nuisance hikers will eventually have to be either relocated to wilderness areas, or put down.

Sad, and so preventable ...

There ya have it.

If' ya don't have enough water for a seven mile stretch; "Stay thirsty my friend".
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Birchy came on here with criticism of the largest and hardest working trail maintaining club for following the commonsense rules adopted as a result of 80 plus years of experience with the trail and its users.

The Appalachian Trail was created over many decades by thousands of volunteers, dedicated to creating a haven of wildness along the ridgeline of peaks that traverse the crowded east. That haven is being gradually destroyed by well-meaning do gooders who have no appreciation of the fragility of eastern wildness, nor of its importance.

Spot on; weary wisdom.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Originally Posted by emerald
    Birchy claims to have read what's posted, but the most important points apparently got lost somewhere in the mountain of information because they didn't register with him. He needs to realize he does not own the land or make policy related to its management.

That is where you are wrong... WE ALL OWN THE LAND, it was our tax dollars that purchased it, and it is located in the middle of a State Forest which as a Pennsylvania resident, makes it my land, but not mine alone. If I leave my tent at a campsite while I go somewhere does that give a trail maintainer the right to take the rain fly because it may blow off and become LITTER
    When you get stopped for a ticket do you tell the cop "I'm your boss?"

Really- you think you are doing the right thing; the official trail maintenance organization says differently. In this case, its opinion controls, so please stop littering.

Simple enough to stay with whatever you wish to provide.

Images

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Thoreau

Let's all go for a long, long walk.
    Simple is good.

Wouldn't that be trading trash for trash? They took your water jug and left a note written on paper...?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian2o0o View Post
    Wouldn't that be trading trash for trash? They took your water jug and left a note written on paper...?
    My suggestion is to seriously read this thread. You may find your comment doesn't really address the issue. It's just an attempt to avoid a real issue.

I personally carry 2-3 liters of water while hiking. Thirsting for water is a constant for me due to med side effects. While I believe it would have been better for Birchy to have stayed with the water maybe the circumstances at the time didn't permit him. Lesson learned. There have been some good, bad, and ugly ideas discussed in this thread.
    I would like for "Hikers Only" of WB to ask themselves these questions. "Have I ever borrowed or has someone given me, while on the AT, stove fuel, aqua mira,tp, batteries, trash bags, twine, cell phone, tampons, bug repellant, duct tape, maps, super glue, Vitamin I, pen/paper, coffee, a drink of corn, money, or a beer?"The list can go on...
    That generous hiker who obliged you with an item out of the kindness of their heart enabled you to become a SUPPORTED hiker in some way, so can one truly say "I was unsupported while I hiked the AT?" I am only being real. I believe most seasoned hikers are well prepared today but there was a time we all were tenderfoots.
    I also believe the day we choose to stop learning we are dead but some people are just plain UNteachable or they believe they know everything. Some like a good debate and some folks are just like an ex-spouse or a bad neighbor. What I mean is we are all just human. We make mistakes.There are no super hikers and no one is perfect. Birchy came on here to share his frustration. Pretty much, we all have vented like some flea-bitten dog's ass infested with log cabin WB fever and acted worse then deputy Fife himself.
    How about the rest of the day you try to understand you ain't no damn Trapper John having hiked many thru hikes or sections from Georgia to Maine totally UNsupported. Think about how to improve your post so the information can be helpful for fellow hikers or just be quiet and listen to others give positive feedback.
    My words to Birchy are thank you for all your work and time and don't let this isolated incident knock you over.I like the idea to chain the water jugs to the tree then go back and get everything later if you can not hang around

Quote Originally Posted by napster View Post
    I personally carry 2-3 liters of water while hiking. Thirsting for water is a constant for me due to med side effects. While I believe it would have been better for Birchy to have stayed with the water maybe the circumstances at the time didn't permit him. Lesson learned. There have been some good, bad, and ugly ideas discussed in this thread.
    I would like for "Hikers Only" of WB to ask themselves these questions. "Have I ever borrowed or has someone given me, while on the AT, stove fuel, aqua mira,tp, batteries, trash bags, twine, cell phone, tampons, bug repellant, duct tape, maps, super glue, Vitamin I, pen/paper, coffee, a drink of corn, money, or a beer?"The list can go on...
    That generous hiker who obliged you with an item out of the kindness of their heart enabled you to become a SUPPORTED hiker in some way, so can one truly say "I was unsupported while I hiked the AT?" I am only being real. I believe most seasoned hikers are well prepared today but there was a time we all were tenderfoots.
    I also believe the day we choose to stop learning we are dead but some people are just plain UNteachable or they believe they know everything. Some like a good debate and some folks are just like an ex-spouse or a bad neighbor. What I mean is we are all just human. We make mistakes.There are no super hikers and no one is perfect. Birchy came on here to share his frustration. Pretty much, we all have vented like some flea-bitten dog's ass infested with log cabin WB fever and acted worse then deputy Fife himself.
    How about the rest of the day you try to understand you ain't no damn Trapper John having hiked many thru hikes or sections from Georgia to Maine totally UNsupported. Think about how to improve your post so the information can be helpful for fellow hikers or just be quiet and listen to others give positive feedback.
    My words to Birchy are thank you for all your work and time and don't let this isolated incident knock you over.I like the idea to chain the water jugs to the tree then go back and get everything later if you can not hang around
    agreed.......

Quote Originally Posted by napster View Post
    ]I would like for "Hikers Only" of WB to ask themselves these questions. "Have I ever borrowed or has someone given me, while on the AT, stove fuel, aqua mira,tp, batteries, trash bags, twine, cell phone, tampons, bug repellant, duct tape, maps, super glue, Vitamin I, pen/paper, coffee, a drink of corn, money, or a beer?"
    Sure, people have given me stuff on the trail.

They handed it to me.

They didn't throw it on the ground and wait for me to go come by and pick it up.

Lets get real. He lives right off of the trail and has opened his house to get visitors. He goes to the shelters on a regular basis to see visitors. He tried to put in a blue blaze to his house (the PATC said no) to get visitors. He parks water on the trail to get visitors.
    Some people love to visit...some don't

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Maybe you should leave a note saying I'd be back in a few...

Maybe the popo was thirsty and was to proud to say thank you...

Maybe its nothing to worry about....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Lets get real. He lives right off of the trail and has opened his house to get visitors. He goes to the shelters on a regular basis to see visitors. He tried to put in a blue blaze to his house (the PATC said no) to get visitors. He parks water on the trail to get visitors.
    Some people love to visit...some don't
    I guess one interesting question is who is Birchy. He joined last month, and either has a hostel or is promoting another hostel that apparently opened June 1. So far most of his 38 posts consists of criticism of PATC, a pioneer AT promoter, and spam for a trail business, whether the business is profit or nonprofit is unclear.

Hey Weary & Wingedmonkey.... take a look in the mirror. Worry about yourself not everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I guess one interesting question is who is Birchy. He joined last month, and either has a hostel or is promoting another hostel that apparently opened June 1. So far most of his 38 posts consists of criticism of PATC, a pioneer AT promoter, and spam for a trail business, whether the business is profit or nonprofit is unclear.
    Good detective work, Weary. His one and only post at Trailplace is also plugging the hostel.

Trailplace is an AT resource website, and they asked for the info to put in the thru-hikers handbook... bet u don't work for the FBI any more

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Hey Weary & Wingedmonkey.... take a look in the mirror. Worry about yourself not everyone else
    Birchy. These days I mostly worry about trails, not myself. Just tell us about your trail business, if any. If you are opening a hostel just say so. Trail magic is a standard method of attracting business. Many newcomers to the business patrol the intersecting roads each afternoon recruiting customers. Some provide other trail "magic" as they seek to let the world know they are around and that they welcome hikers to stop.

Some hostels charge fees, some seek donations, and some are free. Which are you? There's no shame either way. We are a multiple business society in case you haven't noticed.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This thread ran its course...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
++ New Posts ++