WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Yeah, you right. However, I have been doing this for 18 years, that is how long I have lived within eyesight of this trail, and it seems in the past few years, some people, often from far away come to police something that does not need policing because we have been doing it for half our lives. Maybe someone could suggest an area that needs policing and i'll send them that way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    No, sorry, it's not the great debate all over again. It's a simple question of policy PATC needs to resolve and they don't require input from Whiteblaze.
    What if we would like to give input anyway??
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

emerald, your veiws are offensive to those of us who love the trail. you are very far off the mark. and you come accross really with a bad attitude. and you sound like you never go hiking and dont like it. and if i were you, i would open my mind. you seen small minded and closed minded. with respect, not anger, i say this to your face. you really dont know dukky about anything. it seems you are a hudge troll with an education. you allways present the opinions of , i dont know, an old stuck up hate filled hiker hater. my tru opinion here.
    matthewski

Images

You might consider sending PATC an email if you feel you have been wronged in some way or have a suggestion. I wouldn't expect anyone from their organization to post or read what's been posted and would think they would have better things to do with their time.

I would add no one has posted any written policy regarding NPS's, ATC's or PATC's position on water caches or gives the appearance of having any concern for what they might be or their rationale for them.
    Last edited by emerald; 05-30-2011 at 19:29.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i find most people to be godless devil worshipers. so who does what on any given day is less conserning to me than say, where will i get food. im presently shaky and dieing of lack of everything. so your arguing over a bottle of magic and its accosiated implications as they affect you, mean you have alot of food on your not so shakey hands to waste time talkin crap. lets see one of you take the hard knocks of trail cops beating your water up with a small amount of grace yes? and then move on to how your not all going to be in my sorry ass position soon. that would be constructive. you see my dears. your time is up for this sort of thing. matthewski is the cannary in the coal mine and im keelin over here. might wanna check in on africa or burmma and see how they feel about your whole take on life. when the first groups of early humans organized enough to allow thinkers and musicians and art, it wasnt done so we could waste all that effort. make use of your presious lives. they dry and fly away so soon. i love you all and hope the best for you. goodby.
    I seriously do not wish to offend you. My hope is that you will reach out and get the help you are seeking.

Images

Last year on my thru, I was always glad to see water containers. Unfortunately, they were too often empty. This year, I find that I am having to move empty containers because the well-intentioned forget to come back for them. When they are forgotten, they become litter. Same with those coolers, sodas, etc. Nice to find, but trash when left. Sorry, gotta agree with the PATC here.

seems picking up litter has become something to brag about and wear as a badge of honor on puffed up chests. no, picking up litter is for your own reasons, or its not picking up, its crapping on the litterbugs for your exersize. best to pick up litter, and not talk about it. trust me. oh, and nufsaid, your not welcome in my camp.
    matthewski

trail magic of all kinds are welcome on the AT and enjoyed by all. littering on the AT is seems to be unwelcomed and not enjoyed by any. this is a good balance needing no rules or oversight. just a bunch of passionate diverse opinions here, very healhy. also not in need of oversight.
    matthewski

2010 complete

Not to slam PA, but I felt the trailheads were trashy to begin with. Sadly, it wasn't from hikers or trail magic. Birchy may just be caught up in a bigger problem.

okay nuf said, your welcome at my camp. it was the seeking help thing. maby you said that weird. im not seeking help.
    matthewski

Images

So here is my thought. Perhaps the PATC maintainer didn't realize you live just down the road and thought it had been there much longer.
    Perhaps once you guys meet, there will be a no harm, no foul rule for that particular crossing I would think they would appreciate having someone knowledgeable so close to the TH.
    I can see both sides on the TM. Not to be offending, but I really don't think we have to have stuff for THers every few miles or so, especially so close to PGF. But perhaps you could leave ice cold water in a cooler on your porch. Have it advertised in the companion or something similar. Surely for ice cold water on a hot day, I would walk an extra 500 feet.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    emerald, your veiws are offensive to those of us who love the trail. you are very far off the mark. and you come accross really with a bad attitude. and you sound like you never go hiking and dont like it. and if i were you, i would open my mind. you seen small minded and closed minded. with respect, not anger, i say this to your face. you really dont know dukky about anything. it seems you are a hudge troll with an education. you allways present the opinions of , i dont know, an old stuck up hate filled hiker hater. my tru opinion here.
    Don't mind ol' Shades of Gray (emerald).
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Some folks think that common sense and applying rules with some thought is too difficult. They want black and white, no room for gray. That does make enforcing easier, but catches up a lot of relatively innocent folks into the web of "No room for discussion".

Schools have tried this approach with disastrous consequences. The Sex offenders lists are also rightfully having people take a second look due to the extreme nature of "no gray area".

My point is simply, if there was still ice in the water, it COULD have easily been left for the enjoyment of some hikers. It appears the OP had no intention of not coming back to clean up, but if he hadn't and the "trash" did legitimately become trash, then it should be removed. Why do some folks find common sense so difficult?

No, sorry, it's not the great debate all over again. It's a simple question of PATC policy and they don't require input from Whiteblaze.
    Expressed like a true Statist.

No, sorry, it's not the great debate all over again. It's a simple question of PATC policy and they don't require input from Whiteblaze.
    By that same logic, neither would anyone here require your input... Don't you think???

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    This is exactly why we should feel free to ignore anything the PATC has to say about anything.
    As a proud PATC member, I feel you are exactly right.

They do a good job of maintaining the corridors, and their cabins are great, BUT I feel that they are overlooking this good deed done as some type of infraction.

But yeah-- they seem to have always had the "holier than thou" modus operandi.
    In March I got to finally go and visit the headquarters in Vienna, VA...the gentlemen that showed us around was especially nice, informative, and helpful.

But I encourage you to keep leaving the water; it's a kind gesture, and most importantly--there is nothing they can do to you

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know hikers in NY rely on water in jugs when there is none to be had. I was thankful for it on my SOBO as there was no water for miles and it was hot.

Though not sure how much ice water in jugs will hold up in hot weather anyway, left unattended. You'd be better to sit in your car at the road crossing and offer a drink, which I know would be much appreciated. I know the PATC in PA pride themselves very much on the trail. Talked to a caretaker and could hear and see it. They do a great job

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thanks.... K. REYNOLDS from Virginia, I thought that I was the only one to see the forest for the trees. As a member of the PATC, I enjoy the rewards from the hard work we all put into the trails, but lets leave the politics to Washington and the policing to PA DCNR or the NPS. PS... I have the note, and will upload it to Facebook so the threat is clear to all

Images

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    There is nothing more to it. I decided that since it was hot and it was about 7 miles between water sources I would set a jug of ice water at the Shippensburg Rd trail head. I actually sat there for a while with it but had to run back to my house. When I returned to get the jug it was gone and a note told me that I was littering. Ironically they did not take the chair and the towel that I had placed over the jug to keep it cold. The note said that there was plenty of water at the shelters.... yeah, but it does not have ice in it..... lol
    It's nice for you to want to provide ice cold water for hikers, but come on, it's only 7 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It's nice for you to want to provide ice cold water for hikers, but come on, it's only 7 miles.
    plus there's plenty of water and road crossings on the AT. folks just don't carry much any more cuz it weighs too much. i've never counted on jugs and coolers at roads. i took responsibility for myself

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++