WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    He could also completely ignore what he's been told by those [in a position of authority], do what he wants to do and take the occasional loss of a water jug in stride.
    It's this kind of thinking that has led to a polarized America on exhibit here almost daily.

The carefully-crafted NPS/ATC position takes into consideration all points of view and is what's best for the Appalachian Trail, but some think they know better.

AT enthusiasts can do without the animosity it generates, the result of which will be a trail without maintainers. The day will soon come when all the hikers tapping on their keyboards who espouse this kind of approach will wonder what happened to their beloved trail.
    Last edited by emerald; 06-01-2011 at 13:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

[*]Be present if you provide food or drink. Unattended items—including their packaging—can harm wildlife that consume them, or hikers, when unrefrigerated products grow bacteria or become contaminated. Unattended items are considered litter and their presence detracts from the wildland character of backcountry environments. Dispense food and drink in person, and carry out any trash or leftovers.

imagine that

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nah. i'd help out anybody in real trouble. being hot and thirsty is part of long distance hiking so hikers aren't in trouble, just a little uncomfortable. if you wanna pamper hikers at road crossings, do it in person. never leave anything unattended. it's real simple
    Lone Wolf,

First, I know you do help a lot of hikers. It shows what a good man you are. With that said, most of the Search and Rescues are just hikers being uncomfortable. I for one can say many of the Rescues that go on are not hikers in real trouble. Many of the rescue that go on, I've been there too, maybe had a rough night but still got my butt out.

Leaving water for hikers is pampering hikers and it is always better to do it in person, I agree. Sometimes it is not always possible because of work or other of life task that go on. For a few years when I live by the trail, I drove pass the trail almost every day to work. It only took a few minutes to stop by and fill jugs, leave sometimes little treats. I couldn't sit around waiting for a few hikers that would pass by but it was still nice to be a part of the trail even if I couldn't hike long distance any more.

Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    Visit www.appalachiantrail.org for more information, or check with your local trail-maintaining club to find out how or where you may assist.
    It doesn't require 10 characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Lone Wolf,

First, I know you do help a lot of hikers. It shows what a good man you are. With that said, most of the Search and Rescues are just hikers being uncomfortable. I for one can say many of the Rescues that go on are not hikers in real trouble. Many of the rescue that go on, I've been there too, maybe had a rough night but still got my butt out.

Leaving water for hikers is pampering hikers and it is always better to do it in person, I agree. Sometimes it is not always possible because of work or other of life task that go on. For a few years when I live by the trail, I drove pass the trail almost every day to work. It only took a few minutes to stop by and fill jugs, leave sometimes little treats. I couldn't sit around waiting for a few hikers that would pass by but it was still nice to be a part of the trail even if I couldn't hike long distance any more.

Wolf
    i help a lot of section hikers with shuttling. i pretty much have nothing to do with thru-hikers except when i run them out of the hostel for blatantly breaking rules. i've lived here 10 years and have never hung out at road crossings or left anything at crossings for self-sufficient walkers on vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    Obviously, the person who took the jug and left the water knew it wasn't litter. If they truly thought it was litter, why bother leaving the note? The note would also be litter. So the note was a lie.

The note should have said, "We have a policy against leaving unattended water jugs on the trail so I took the jug. We do not have a policy against leaving unattended chairs, towels and notes on the trail so I left them."
    One of the few intelligent replies. The note WAS LITTER ITSELF!!!!

i would advise walkers to dewimpify and quit expectin' stuff at all roads. a little thirst ain't no biggie. jugs and stuff... pfttttt
    nowhere in this discussion was any hiker expecting TM. The issue was one of wanting to provide TM. My experience is that giving TM is even more enjoyable than partaking of it. Maybe that is not your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sarman View Post
    nowhere in this discussion was any hiker expecting TM. The issue was one of wanting to provide TM. My experience is that giving TM is even more enjoyable than partaking of it. Maybe that is not your experience.
    That's why you do hiker feeds, and that's why someone else has to take your signs down. Because you don't care if goes against ATC standards, as long as it makes you happy.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Dang, this thread is starting to wind down. I think the hikers with poles liked the water and the ones with dogs didn't....or was it the ones with guns who didn't like it, but the one's who don't treat water did. Maybe the ones who stay at shelters liked it, but the ones who sleep with their food didn't. Hmmm, not sure. More importantly, how long does cheese last on the trail?
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    never knocked on a door in my adult life. and all people are drunk with power. and the trail is definatly in the wrong hands these days and hikers neither exspect, nor care if magic exists. you all seem missinformed about general things. i watch and listen to the drunk with power handlers of our trail every damm day. yo, listen very carefully, ive been on this trail longer than most of you. so my perspective has been shifted by what ive seen over decades and decades of obseving and serving. let me tell you something, this trailand its modern ways are an abomination to what it once was. and hikers havent changes so much as the organization of the trails orgs have. but they have changed enough to ruin the exsperience. it suck walking our trail anymore if you compare it to what we had once. you dont know. or you would agree. these aint hikers, yall aint organizers, and yes, you all are drunk with power and snobby about the trail. im from the original years. back when their were a hundred starts a year. you have no idea the comradery and espri decorps and the level of volenteerism that went on. no idea. what transpires in hostels and buissnesses and on trail and in towns is an abomination to hiking, volenteerism and appalachia. only the continued destruction of the exsperience will prove this out to yall. blind and closed minded is what we got here. you simply dont understand things, let alone this trail and who loves it.
    Matti, I love you man but as far as Maine is concerned (can't speak to any other club), you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about here. Having a hand in preserving historical documents for the MATC I can assure you that your position here is not based on fact. I will bring a CD containing all of the club's newsletters to the "feed" in July. This will give you historical accounts of work trips, massive relocations, etc. See ya in July.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    More importantly, how long does cheese last on the trail?
    ...obviously longer than a gallon of water.

it's also pretty clear after reading this thread that other than Lone Wolf, people who actually hike like the water drops and people who don't like it type on computers instead of hiking.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post

it's also pretty clear after reading this thread that other than Lone Wolf, people who actually hike like the water drops and people who don't like it type on computers instead of hiking.

geek
    Actually, just scanning thru the list, it seems that both those that are for AND those that are against have thru hikes under their belts. And I doubt that anyone was hiking while they were typing their responses. Just an observation.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by sarman View Post
    water at road crossings is not "trail magic" it's "hiker enabling". if you're gonna do it, stay on scene, dispense it then pick it all up and leave. what don't y'all understand?

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Actually, just scanning thru the list, it seems that both those that are for AND those that are against have thru hikes under their belts. And I doubt that anyone was hiking while they were typing their responses. Just an observation.
    I also noticed that the OP has never thru hiked. Nor have I for that matter.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Does hauling booze up to a shelter count as hiking?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Does hauling booze up to a shelter count as hiking?

Just so long as you don't leave the empty in the fire pit

It has nothing to do with thru hiking...it is about getting out there and actually hiking. The more you get out there and hike, the more you appreciate the water available.....only 7 miles between water sources is not a problem until you get there and it is dry...and so is the next one...and the one after that.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post

geek
    honey, i've hiked more miles on the AT than you ever will and hiked "back in the day" when all this entitlement crap and pampering never happened. i'll never forget the time at fontana when you and your pal were giving "trail magic" to thru-hikers only. eat my dust kid

Images

this thread goes on and on because neither side can come up with an argument compelling enough to convince the other side.

Panzer

honey, i've hiked more miles on the AT than you ever will and hiked "back in the day" when all this entitlement crap and pampering never happened. i'll never forget the time at fontana when you and your pal were giving "trail magic" to thru-hikers only. eat my dust kid
    plus you bring in your booze and stuff to low gap shelter each year which is totally not cool

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++