WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Curious about Roan Mountain area conditions this weekend...

My wife and I are going to be doing a section hike in the Roan highlands this weekend from Iron Mt. Gap to 19E. If anyone could provide me some data on water/spring status that would be great. (so I can know to bring extra water bladders and more supportive backpack if necessary)

In addition, I am curious if those pesky high elevation black flys are in full swing or are they gone now? Is any of the rhododendron blooming yet or is it still to early? (would rather leave serious camera at home if its not in bloom yet) Finally, I've heard parking can be subject to vandalism at 19E. (would prefer to come back to an unvandalized car) Where would you recommend parking on this end...or both ends for that matter.

Finally, is the main thru-hiker crowd already past this area? What can I expect with regards to the amount of people in this area right now?

Thanks for your help!
    There is a certain joy in exhaustion.

Park at Mountain Harbour Hostel 1-866-772-9494 at 19E (great folks). The hostel will be a short road walk to your left once you get to 19E.

Just did a section that included your area 3 weeks ago. Water was fine at the shelters. IMO, don't plan on water at Ash Gap (on the big Roan climb). It is quite a way down the hill to the right and just a trickle a few weeks ago.....not worth the effort. Load up at Clyde Smith with enough water to get you to Roan High Knob shelter.

No flies when I was going through with no blooms. When you go through, thru hikers are LONG gone.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 06-02-2011 at 17:37.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Thanks man! That was a great help. I think I've got everything figured out. Any idea on the thru-hiker density in the area this time of year? I would think most thru hikers would be farther north by now.

Images

There was lots of flies out on Tue when we were out Prepairing for a Relo on the Roan. There are still thru hikers coming thru but not many. There will be lots of activity on Sat when the Bike riders do the Roan Groan and I hear all the Facilities at Carvers Gap will be closed. There will be lots of day hikers on Round Bald to Grassy Ridge over the weekend. The Rhodos normally bloom in late June.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    My wife and I are going to be doing a section hike in the Roan highlands this weekend from Iron Mt. Gap to 19E. If anyone could provide me some data on water/spring status that would be great. (so I can know to bring extra water bladders and more supportive backpack if necessary)

In addition, I am curious if those pesky high elevation black flys are in full swing or are they gone now? Is any of the rhododendron blooming yet or is it still to early? (would rather leave serious camera at home if its not in bloom yet) Finally, I've heard parking can be subject to vandalism at 19E. (would prefer to come back to an unvandalized car) Where would you recommend parking on this end...or both ends for that matter.

Finally, is the main thru-hiker crowd already past this area? What can I expect with regards to the amount of people in this area right now?

Thanks for your help!
    This is a funny year. Lots of rain in handful of days, then dry, hot and humid the next.

If you hold off, the Gardens and facilities will open June 6th. Pisgah might have the facilities already open now. Check the water fountain at Cloudland parking area.

The Konnarock Crew and TEHCC members will be working above Ashe Gap this weekend. You might have a chance of seeing some new trail built. And you might see some early berries.

There is a good spring at the small apple orchard the 1st mile in. The Greasy Creek Gap source is reliable.

The water source at Clyde Smith is ingenious pool system. I heard of a rattler shacking up at the shelter.

Some small water sources just before Hughes Gap. You have to go down the road on the TN side at Hughes to find a small spring.

Ashe Gap has a reliable source. Its just down a steep bank below the campsite.

The source at Roan High can disappear during dry season.

A good source after the turn at the Grassy Ridge side trail. Stan Murray can disappear easily. The Overmountain source is now below the old road.

The Little Hump source can disappear. This is probably your black fly zone since the area seeps alot. The sources at Doll Flats can disappear.

Sarge good luck with Konnarock this year. I will probably come the latter of the season.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

We worked on the relo below Ashe Gap today. The rhodos have started to bloom at Carvers Gap and below Ashe Gap. Must be the heat we have been having up here. Viking come on up we can use some good help.

How was it? Water good?

Fixing to head out for Hughes gap going N.

The hike was awesome. We started at Hughes Gap and spent the night at Roan High Knob shelter and then on top of Little Hump Mountain the second night. We then picked up our vehicle at the hostel at 19E on Sunday.

All the water sources were just fine. Some flowing slower than others but plenty to filter from. The temps were around 50-60 at night and 65-75 during the day...depending on if we were in shade, direct sun or our elevation. I did actually don my jacket a couple of times during the evening and morning hours.

Saturday we did get to see the bike racers crossing the finish for the Roan Groan race which was pretty neat since my wife and I are into cycling. We also got to see a bus tear down the finish line banner as it tried to drive underneath with what was thought to be enough clearance...but wasn't.

The flies were not much of an issue which we were thankful for. I never felt the need to put on any repellent.

There were lots of people out on the trail. At least 3 boyscout groups and lots of additional section and day hikers. Pretty much all shelters and good camping spots were quickly inundated. I guess thats probably how it is up there on the weekends during the warmer months since it is such a great area to escape the heat for a few days.

There was enough Rhododendron blooming on the south facing areas to be of enjoyment.

I had never been to the Roan Highlands before and I must say that its beauty exceeded my expectations. I will definitely be back...but likely during the week when it should be less crowded.

Just an additional note. Many thanks to the hard working trail workers. We passed Bob and his crew headed up Roan Mountain. The reroutes are looking fantastic and we were very thankful for them as it made the steep climb much more pleasant.

Thanks for updating. Packing food right now...

Got back home a bit ago. Rhododendrons are in full swing, along with flame azaleas. Seems to be in a weather pattern of hit-and-miss afternoon and night thunderstorms. Water pretty well running good everywhere.

We started at Hughes Gap, camped at Carver's Gap Friday night and Doll Flats on Saturday, out at 19E this morning.

I haven't been on this section in ten years. The reroutes in place and coming are terrific!! Thanks to all the volunteers that are making it happen!

Lots of photographers and day trippers up on Grassy Ridge. One large group of runners, and several individual trail runners and dayhikers. Not as many backpackers as I would have thought.

Flies were thick at Doll Flats. Not biting or anything, just annoying.

Just an FYI...Mountain Harbor did our shuttle...said next weekend will be a PIA due to the Roan Mtn Festival...traffic will be backed up on the main road if you are trying to drive past the SP.

++ New Posts ++