Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question Swim Suits...yes or no?

I was just wondering how you ladies approach swimming while hiking. There are several swimming holes along some of the trails in Shenandoah and I would like to take advantage of them, but I’m worried that wearing a bathing suit under my clothes may not be the wisest idea. I’m guessing that wearing a wet bathing suit is not recommended while hiking. So what do you all do?

A couple of ladies I hiked with just went in with their sports bra and (nlyon) shorts on. Mostly just for a quick dip in a pond, of which there were a number of along the trail in NJ and NY, which is where we happened to be at the time.

No worse then getting wet in a rain storm and you dry out reasonably quickly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I have yet to try this but I plan on using a black sports bra with my exofficio give-n-go black underwear. You can't see through either and they're both quick dry. Afterward I'll wash the "swim" set and change into my other set of both. Enjoy your swim!

Lycra sports bra and hiking shorts. I promise I will not look! Oops, sorry I looked!

Seriously, I notice lots of females splashing their Esther Williams routine in that gear. Don't you ladies wear some kind of stetchable lycra like panties under your hiking shorts? Once in the water no one is going to notice.

Oh yeah, while you are looking for a place to splash in S NP check out the waterfalls!

Images

Last year most of the younguns did the sports bra thing. I tried it once. A young male hiker joked about the "babes" at the swimming hole. I picked up a swimsuit with some support at the next town. Glad to carry the extra weight to save face (so to speak). That way I could even swim in the motel pools without embarrasement.

I just jump in in shorts and tshirt. They dry fast enough, and if it's hot enough to swim, I'm happy to be wearing damp clothes. If there's privacy I'll just wear bra and underwear. The CDT was the only trail where I wished I had a bathing suit - for all the hot springs. But shorts worked fine.

The AT in the Shenandoahs isn't particularly good for swimming. You're up on a ridge - no rivers or lakes. You need to go low for that.

The AT in the Shenandoahs isn't particularly good for swimming. You're up on a ridge - no rivers or lakes. You need to go low for that. SpiritWalker

Ditto. If you are planning on staying on the AT through S NP, as I remember it, there are no places to swim. It's off the AT where you are going to find swimming holes.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Dismal Creek Falls is a great place
    As is the pond at Speck Pond and by Upper Goose Pond

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

every hiker owns the best swimsuit. mines patagonia. no hiker has ever used one.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Dismal Creek Falls is a great place
    As is the pond at Speck Pond and by Upper Goose Pond
    Plus several ponds in NJ and NY, but none of these are in the S NP where the OP is going... (and the ponds in Maine tend to be pretty chilly!)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Oh yeah, while you are looking for a place to splash in S NP check out the waterfalls!
    We did the Jones Run/Doyles River circuit hike the other week and were able to check out the upper and lower falls.

Just as some background: when I asked the question about the bathing suits it was because there is a nice little spot on the Big Run Portal trail that would make an excellent swim spot. There was no one back there at all. We were supposed to be hiking the Big Run Loop trail, but took a wrong turn and ended up on the portal trail. After about 6 water crossings, we decided that we were in the wrong spot and back tracked. It was about a 9 mile hike so I was thinking about doing it again, but this time be prepared for the water (and take advantage of it).

I went hiking in my moving comfort sports bra and it gave me a bit of a rash after only a few hours so I'll be checking into wireless actual bras. I plan on swimming in that and my exofficio undies. Its just like a bathing suit, so I don't see any real difference. I'm not a huge fan of swimming and having clothing billowing around me, so swimming in my shorts and tshirt aren't even on my radar as an option, but if push comes to shove, it will happen.

Images

Thumbs up

I don't usually poke my nose into the "female hiking forums" on WB, but I did just finish a great book by the Mountain Marching Mamas. Title is "It's Always UP - Memories of the Appalachian Trail."

This is how they solved their "no swimsuit" problem at Little Rock Pond, Vermont,-- bandannas!

These women had spunk and were awesome and told their stories very well. I recommend the book. I'll keep my own nose out of recommending swimming attire for AT hiking gals, though.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

LOL you wouldn't catch me dead in a bandana bathing suit but kuddos to them!

I know there are possible swimming holes along Jones Run, Doyles River, throughout Whiteoak Canyon and vicinity, and near Dark Hollow Falls. Dark Hollow Falls, since it's close to the main road(Skyline), gets busy with people though.

That pic of those women in bandanas was LOL!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I know there are possible swimming holes along Jones Run, Doyles River, throughout Whiteoak Canyon and vicinity, and near Dark Hollow Falls. Dark Hollow Falls, since it's close to the main road(Skyline), gets busy with people though.
    We've been by there, and yes, they were super-Über busy that day. I'm guessing it's only going to get more crowded as the summer goes on. We are going to do Marys Rock this week, so I don't think we're going to be hitting any swimming spots. However, these ideas kind of confirm what I was thinking of doing anyway (lycra/spandex shorts w/dark sports bra). I guess the important thing is to be as dry as possible once you start back up on the trail.

I know that there are men (and some women) out there who are inclined to make a fuss about women swimming in their "underwear." But I'd like to point out that a sports bra and lycra shorts covers a lot more skin than many "swimsuits" I see for sale or being worn at the beach even.

Then again, if one is willing to wear a swim suit that has less than 1 square foot of fabric for the whole suit carrying the extra 2oz might be worth it.

No swimming suit for me, you can always wear the clothes on your back, its free laundry!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++