WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

The Village at Fontana has a pretty sparse selection of foods when we were there last year. They may sell out everything to close for the season, and that would explain it. We went through in October. Keep that in mind in the event you plan to resupply there in the Fall or Winter.
    "If trees could talk, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? Maybe....if they screamed all the time, and for no good reason" - Jack Handey

Images

I sent boxes to NOC and Fontana. If I were to do the trail again I'd just get a ride home and resupply there...but hey, I live here now.
    If I didn't live here now I'd maildrop to NOC, stay at the Hike Inn and resupply in Franklin.

Images

Default address?

Does anyone have the correct address for a hiker package sent to the NOC? Also, is it better to use UPS vs USPS?

If you use priority mail, you can always bounce it further north if you don't open it. Priority Mail's boxes are very convenient to use for this.

The Nantahala Outdoor Center
    13077 Hwy. 19W
    Bryson City, NC 28713

Make sure to add "Please Hold For A.T. Hiker" somewhere on the letter or parcel.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The Nantahala Outdoor Center
    13077 Hwy. 19W
    Bryson City, NC 28713

Make sure to add "Please Hold For A.T. Hiker" somewhere on the letter or parcel.
    Six years later, and WB is still helping this section hiker! Just took two searches to find the address.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Any recent thoughts on resupply at NOC? Their website doesn't give much info...

It has enough to get you to Fontana and the general store there. It is slightly pricey, but not too bad.

Mountain house meals at the outfitter, snacks at the convivence store. I'd try to plan to arrive with a couple of dinners still in the pack and resupply breakfast and lunch items. It's only a couple of days to Fontana. Meanwhile you can gorge at the restaurant there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Mountain house meals at the outfitter, snacks at the convivence store. I'd try to plan to arrive with a couple of dinners still in the pack and resupply breakfast and lunch items. It's only a couple of days to Fontana. Meanwhile you can gorge at the restaurant there.
    Its about 29 mi to fontana. An overnight hike. Ive done that 3 times. Every time i camped at the shelter 1 mi south of NOC, and hike in and eat breakfast and drink coffee at restaurant by river early in morning. Highly reccomend this approach on cool mornings.

Eat good breakfast at restaurant. All you need is 1.5 days food. You will eat dinner at fontana next day.

I took my 12 yr old son that included that section. Left fontana about 930- 10am after eating. Did about 16mi. 13 easy mi next day, was in fontana at 1:30pm. Piece of cake.

We sent maildrop to the outfitter. No reason not to for a section.

But even if slower....you should be eating dinner at fontana...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-23-2019 at 22:08.

I bet a lot of hikers take 3 days to get to Fontana. It's a pretty good hike from NOC to Brown Fork Gap shelter, you do need an early start. If the weather isn't good, you'll be thinking long and hard about staying at Sassafras after that big climb. But at most it's a 2 night section so you don't need to get much at NOC.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In 2016,we left Springer on May 15. When we got to NOC ,Moutain House was sold out for the year at the outfitter,but we still found a decent resupply in the general store. Tuna,Lipton and such. Great meals in the restaurant. Nice place to nero.

Thanks for all the info! I'll be coming in for lunch at NOC, so I have an additional two days planned after that to Fontana...I'm slow. Just wanted to see if I needed to pack as much as I had planned since I'd forgotten I could potentially resupply here.

Quote Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
    K, thanks guys. Oh well, no maildrops for our lil' 100 mile or so section hike, so I reckon we pack up with 7 days of food then! Might have to give up some of my luxuries I was hoping for tho lol!

I do mail drops for my 100 mile sections all the time! Why wouldn't I want to save 8 lbs (2lbs per day), even if it costs me $25 to send a package???
    Hundreds of dollars worth of stuff in my backpack, hundreds of dollars in travel to get to the section and back... but I'm balking at paying $20 - $25 to mail a package to my self to ensure I get the food I want to eat the second half of my hike? That's kinda silly. Especially when you consider that the NOC shop is what, 30 feet from the trail itself? No hitching, no arranging a shuttle or taking half of your day to go into a town...

The only reason i can think of to not do a mail drop to the NOC (if that's the middle of your hike) is the thought of walking out of there (uphill both ways) with 4 more pounds of food than I got there with. ugh.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I do mail drops for my 100 mile sections all the time! Why wouldn't I want to save 8 lbs (2lbs per day), even if it costs me $25 to send a package???
    Hundreds of dollars worth of stuff in my backpack, hundreds of dollars in travel to get to the section and back... but I'm balking at paying $20 - $25 to mail a package to my self to ensure I get the food I want to eat the second half of my hike? That's kinda silly. Especially when you consider that the NOC shop is what, 30 feet from the trail itself? No hitching, no arranging a shuttle or taking half of your day to go into a town...

The only reason i can think of to not do a mail drop to the NOC (if that's the middle of your hike) is the thought of walking out of there (uphill both ways) with 4 more pounds of food than I got there with. ugh.
    Sometimes resupply is too much trouble.
    The noc isnt one of those.

Camp 1 mi before noc, get there at 8 and eat bacon/eggs/coffee at restaurant by river , when store opens get resupply and be gone.

Your fueled for climb up cheoah, its still cool, youll be on top before you know it.

You dont want to face that 3500' climb late in day and tired, or hot. IMO.
    Ive done this 3 times, with a few AT virgins. All had good time and it was easy for them.

After days on trail your glycogen is depleted. Eating good makes world of difference, you can power uphill for hours after without break. Never pass up good food.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-28-2019 at 08:50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++