WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default A Sample AT Gear List (Packing List)

A Sample AT Gear List

By Chris 1 Feb 2005

Rather than write a formal article about gear for beginners, I thought it would be better to take advantage of the interactive nature of whiteblaze and put it into a thread. What follows is the gear I took with me, along with some notes, on my recent AT section hike between Damascus and Manchester Center. It is rather long and incorporates some previous trail shoe reviews that I have written. I have included these simply to make people aware of them, although I am doing so at the risk of losing readers who don't want to wade through everything. I am hoping that others, particularly the experienced members of the forum, will add something similar or make comments or suggestions for others to follow. Specificially, alternate pieces of gear, ideally with weight and cost attached to them. I also hope that people who have questions will pipe up. For example, "Why don't you use a hammock?" Or, "What is a good alternative to the MEC Northern Lite Pullover?" If there are enough responses, we can edit them together and create something like a collective knowlegde document that could form an article for new hikers.

This is the stuff that I hauled with me on the AT in 2004. I started from Damascus on May 9 and ended at Manchester Center on June 24. It is, mostly, what I would take with me if I was starting from Springer in late March or early April, or south from Katahdin in early or mid June. Gear choices are personal things, so get to know your gear before you start a long distance hike. I tend to be conservative, particularly with clothing. I could cut another pound or two from this list if I was willing to be a bit more liberal with my risk level and if I was willing to spend a few hundred dollars to buy slightly lighter versions of what I already have.

Base Gear

Hauling and Sleeping

ULA Zenith Pack (19 oz) ($125)
    Dancing Light pack liner (2.5 oz) ($20)
    3/4 length Z-rest pad (12 oz) ($30)
    Western Mountaineering Highlight Sleeping Bag, with stuff sack (19.3 oz) ($240)
    Integral Designs Silk Sleeping Bag liner (4.8 oz) ($35)
    Henry Shires Tarptent Virga with extended beak, in silnylon stuff sack (17.3 oz) ($180)
    6 stakes (3.3 oz)
    Tarptent poles (2) (4.6 oz)
    2 mil painters drop cloth ground sheet (4.8 oz) ($2)
    Total: 87.6 oz ($632)

Cooking and Food

Lackwit beercan stove with coffee can pot support (1.5 oz)
    MSR windscreen (1.6 oz)
    1.3 L Evernew Titanium Pot (5.8 oz) ($45)
    2 Bic lighters (1.6 oz)
    Plastic spoon (0.2 oz)
    2.4 L Platypus waterbag (1.4 oz) ($7)
    20 oz. soda bottle for fuel (1.5 oz)
    20 oz. soda bottle for olive oil (1.5 oz)
    Silnylon stuff sack (large) for food (1.1 oz) ($9)
    Polar Pure (2 oz) ($7)
    Bear bagging cord, 40 feet (2.8 oz) ($5)
    Total: 21 oz. ($73)

Clothing

Silnylon stuff sack (large) for clothes (1.1 oz) ($9)
    MEC midweight thermal top (8.3 oz) ($27)
    MEC midweight thermal tights (6.2 oz) ($27)
    Wigwam hat (2 oz) ($8)
    Fox River liner gloves (1 oz) ($3)
    2 pair Wigwam Ultimax socks (4.6 oz) ($12)
    MEC Northern Lite II pullover (13.3 oz) ($60)
    O2 Rainshield jacket (7.3 oz) ($30)
    O2 Rainshield pants (5.6 oz) ($30)
    Total: 49.4 oz ($206)

Utilities

Toothpaste and brush (2 oz)
    Toliet paper and gelled alcohol (2.8 oz)
    Medical kit, slim (4.9 oz)
    2 Photon Microlights (0.5 oz) ($30)
    Documents (Drivers license, ATM, health, phone, 2 credit cards)
    Cash
    Wingfoot, "The Thruhikes Handbook" (5.1 oz) ($16)
    Olympus Sylus Epic Camera (5.3 oz)
    Film (4 36 exposure rolls, various print film) (4 oz)
    Journal and Pen (3.3 oz).
    Total: 27.9 oz ($46)
    Base Weight: 185.9 oz ($957). Or, 11.6 lbs.

I would generally wear:

MEC Rapidi-T (basic T-shirt)
    Patagonia shorts (basic shorts)
    Wigwam ultimax socks
    Asics 1090 TR Trail Runners
    Kmart watch (1.5 oz)
    Bandana (1 oz)
    Andiamo skins (2.9 oz)

Notes:
    In retrospect, I would probably make a few changes in the gear list if I was to go for a long hike on the Appalachian Trail again. First, I would not bring the Rainshield garments. Instead, I might spring for a jacket made out of E-VENT, such as those made by Integral Designs and Pearl Izumi. I would not bring the rain pants, but instead might bring some wind pants that I have for running, or a basic set of semi-water proof pants made by someone like Go-Lite. I was highly unimpressed by the breathability, water resistance, and fit of the Rainshield products, especially for a wet trail like the AT. Another option I would highly consider would be using a wind shirt made out of Epic (Wild Things makes one) along with an umbrella. This makes a lot of sense to me looking back, even if it seemed foolish when I started out.

The ULA Zenith is no longer made, but has been replaced by a better, and heavier, pack called the Fusion.

The cost of the gear could be dropped, but I already have the gear and acquired it over a few years. Moreover, I'm still using this gear, and used it heavily before my recent AT section hike (on the PCT, for example, and on the GDT). As an example of cost savings you could use an Oware Cat Tarp (about $70) instead of the Virga. I like the weather protection of the Virga and the fact that it has good bug netting, but these might be less important for others. I like the Western Mountaineering Highlight and will continue to use it, but could buy a $99 Kelty or Marmot 40 degree bag (more like 50 degree) and know that you'll have to wear insulating clothes to bed. I had to do this frequently on the PCT and would rather sleep in my skin.

In terms of foot wear, I have written two different thread called "Four Trail Shoe Review" which you can find on this site. However, here they are anyways:

Brooks Adrenaline GTS

I really liked this pure running shoe for the the hot, hot Southern California section of the PCT. There is enough mesh in the shoe that when the wind blows, I feel it in my toes. Keeping my feet ventilated was very important in a land where the ambient temperature would get into the upper 90s or low 100s on a daily basis. The surface temperature was correspondingly higher. I wore this shoe from the Mexican border to Mojave, CA, a distance of 563 miles.

While the sole is a standard running pattern, the rubber is soft enough that I had only a few slipping problems. Traction is certainly better than the NB 806s listed below. Durability was good, with only one small tear in the side mesh of the shoe and some chunked up areas on the sole. Since this is a road shoe, your feet have much less protection than with other shoes. Walking on rubble is not fun with these shoes. I could have gotten another 150 miles out of the shoes, but wanted something with big time tread for the Sierra.

If I were to hike the AT, this would be the shoe that I would use through northern Virginia to Vermont.

Asics Eagle Trail

I wore the Eagle Trail from Mojave to Sierra City, traversing the length of the Sierras, a distance of about 630 miles. The Eagle Trail have a massive tread on them, better than my regular hiking boots and only a step below my mountaineering boots. I can't believe Asics put such a sole on a running shoe! Traction is very good. You get a stiffer carriage and a bit more protection than the Brooks shoe, but still less than I would like.

The Sierra consisted of a lot of big mountains, scores of raging rivers, and tons of snow. My feet were wet all day, every day, for the better part of 3 weeks. The shoes took an absolute pounding and looked it. From kicking steps in frozen snow and constantly bouncing off rocks, I grew two large holes near my big toes after a few hundred miles. There were rips in the sides as well.

Despite what seems like a durability problem, these would be my perfect trail shoe if Asics would put in a more protective sole and if REI continued to carry them in size 15 (Asics makes them in size 15). The shredding of the shoes is a testament to the terrain that I went through, rather than design flaws in the shoe.

Were I to hike the AT, I would wear these shoes from Springer to central Virginia and in northern New England.

New Balance 806

I really hated this shoe, even if it is about the most popular model out there. Others love the shoe. I wore the NB 806 from Sierra City to Sisters, OR, a distance of around 780 miles. The NBs are built like tanks, and there was absolutely no damage to the shoes when I ditched them in Sisters. Internal cushionning was going, but structurally the shoes were still good. The shoes have very little mesh in them and are the least breathable of all the shoes I wore. These shoes were also the most protective, making rubble walking easy and painfree.

The NB shoes did not fit me as well as I might have hoped. The toe box was a bit too narrow and the heel cup a bit too wide. The result was a sequence of small cracks or cuts on the pads of my toes. Some days these would be rather painful. The shoes might fit you better than they did me, but I have a fairly standard shaped foot. The traction of the NB 806 is substandard. There were times I would slide on things I could take my wingtips down safely. When things got wet, the situation got worse. The tread pattern is poor and not aggresive enough. The rubber used is very hard, which helps to protect the feet, but limits how grippy the shoe can be.

I would not wear these shoes again and cannot recommend them. I won't use NB products until they improve the traction (I had similar problems with the 904 model).

Asics Gel Trabuco V

I wore these trail runners from Sisters, OR to the Canadian border, a distance of about 670 miles. I liked these shoes alot, as they provided fairly good traction and a much better fit than the 806s I had been wearing previously. It took about 10 days for my feet to recover from the damage the NB shoes did. After that, I had happy feet the rest of the way to the border.

The Gel Trabucos are a lot like a running shoe, only a little stiffer and with a grippier, more protective sole. There is a lot of mesh, which helps keep your feet cool, but also lets in mud and micro rocks.

The durability of the shoes was very good, with no noticeable wear on them when I finished. They now have a tear on the top. I wished for more foot protection, but the amount the Trabucos provided was adequate. Traction was second best to the Eagle Trail.

Were I to hike the AT and could not get the Eagle Trail, I'd use these shoes.

Brooks Trespass

This is really a great shoe, although it has been discontinued in favor of the Trespass 2. Traction is superior and the sole utilizes a series of directional ridges. In the front of the shoe, the ridges angle backward toward the heel, in an attempt to improve traction as you hike uphill. In the rear of the shoe, the ridges angle foward, toward the toes, in an attempt to improve traction as you go down hill. While I have no scientific evidence that this is an improvement over a standard sole pattern, from experience it does seem to produce a shoe that is very sticky on dirt or loose rock. The shoe itself follows the normal Brooks pattern of being nice and wide in the toe box, but a little too wide in the heel for my particular needs. However, no blisters or feet irritation occured. The Trespass feels light and almost non-existent, which also means that it isn't very protective. The sole is hard enough to be comfortable while walking over rocky terrain, but if you kick rocks ro bang the sides into roots, you will definitely feel it. I wore the Trespass for about 600 miles total, including a lot of hiking in the Smokys, in the Middle East, the Grand Canyon, the Santa Catalina range in Arizona, around Indiana, and on the AT between Damascus and Pearisburg. Durability was very good, with some fabric degradation, but no holes. The soles were battered, but still quite functional when I trashed the shoes. Cushioning was starting to break down, as expected. Highly recommended.

Asics 1090 TR

I've had great success with Asics' shoes in the past and was happy to see a new trail shoe from them at a bargain price. The 1090 TR is a medium weight shoe that offers average, but acceptable, traction and protection. The shoe doesn't do anything wrong, although the cushioning began to break down after about 300 miles and the sole was not hard enough to compensate for this. Hence, in PA I began to feel the rocks rather alot. I wore the shoes between Pearisburg and Unionville, NY. Durability, except for the cushioning, is excellent and there wasn't even a sign of fabric degradation or structural compromise. The shoes are cheaper than most anything I have seen, outside of closeout specials. For the AT, I would say that they are an ideal shoe, but one must accept the (relatively) quick breakdown of the cushioning. Recommended.

Asics Gel Trabuco VI

Another Asics shoe that I like a lot. I used the Trabuco V last summer on the PCT and found it to be about perfect for that trail. The Trabuco VI has since been replaced with the Trabuco VII. The Trabuco VI is medium-light and very protective, especially on the soles. Traction is acceptable, though not as burly as the other shoes in this review. The sole pattern is only slight more rugged than what one finds on Asics normal road running shoes. Durability was spectacular, with almost no degradation at all. I wore the shoe betweenUnionville, NY and Manchester Center, VT on the AT, and for a distance of about 300 miles between Waterton and Field, BC, on the GDT. If the sole pattern was a little more aggresive, this would be my standard shoe, period. For the AT and most of the PCT, I have not encountered a better shoe for a long distance hiker.

Asics Eagle Trail III

The Eagle Trail III has a massive sole pattern which, combined with relatively soft rubber, gives traction that is almost equivalent to my mountaineering boots. The central problem is in durability and cushioning. As with last year's model, I wore holes in the front, inside toe areas and the cushioning broke down very quickly. I would still use these shoes for hiking, but would expect to replace them every 400 miles. If Asics would put the tread pattern of the Eagle Trail on the body of the Trabuco and increase the hardness of the rubber, an ideal hiking shoe would be born. I wore the Eagle Trail between Field, BC and Mount Robson, BC on the GDT, a distance of about 350 miles.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 03-21-2005 at 15:28.

Images

I like the way it is laid out. Does this include stuff you brought but got rid of? I think something like that at the end of the list would be good, plus a "why" as to the reason you dumped it. I can see changes you would make now and the "why" and I like it.

I like the footware article and I think that should be a separate thing.Just my opinion.

I have been putting some thoughts into the gear list thing for newbies, since the feedback was to be specific, yet we all know there are some who want a tent, some who want tarps, a few into bivies, and a few into hammocks, maybe there should be sample lists of these separate types. It just seems to me that some things like variations in clothing, stoves, pots, and such are fairly minor and can be addressed in specific articles on such matters. I feel that the basic differences in packing style can be defined by the shelter and how someone builds the rest of their sleeping system around that. Does that seem off base?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Gear List

Rock...I would suggest building three seperate gear lists.....Ultralight, Light, and Moderate. Flesh each out with typical gear. Build in some rational on why those gear selections work. A "newbie" would have a "template" to work from or they could pick and choose between the lists.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Well my assumption was anyone planning would automatically go to the light (get it?) but the choices of how to get there can be influenced a lot just by material and brand selection as to how to make weights. The mechanics of the different systems was more what I was talking about. Again, does this make sense?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I think there will be quite a bit of overlap between hammock and tarp users, but far less with tent users. A "traditional" gear list might be nice, but I certainly don't have one. I would guess that the most reliable way to differentiate packing styles is the pack itself. Chances are, if you are using a Gearskin, you have dialed in your gear fairly well already.

I didn't really have to drop anything on my hike, but I did lose some things and add some things. I lost my companion and maps when my bounce bucket got lost in the mail and so I bought a copy of Wingfoot and sent home my compass.

I know Sgt. Rock has done this a few times, but yet another $300 challenge list would be good. That is, a complete, functional, and safe gear list for moderate AT weather than can be put together (without having to make a lot of stuff) for $300 or less.

Images

We could move the $300 back up or at least link it in the article.

I also tend to agree with the overlap on tarps and tents, but some things like weather shields and under quilts are special to the hammock while bug bivies and the like are particular to the tarper. Mountain Dew can probably make the list for the heavy/traditional hiker. You nailed the tarp list, but I would like to see the list come from someone that used a Hammock for an entire thru-hike to see how they did it.

I'm not so sure about the backpack thought, at least for me that isn't the way it usually works. I tend to think of the backpack as the last item in consideration after figuring out what all my other stuff should look like. Then find the pack that carries it comfortably and efficiently. Talking with Baltimore Jack last year about packs he mentioned that this is why a lot of people tear up an ultralight pack - because they get a pack without considering it's true weight capacity, like trying to carry 30 pounds in a Golite or 40 pounds in a Ghost.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I see what you were getting at. I do think a hammock specific list would be good. For example, in the sleeping and hauling section of the list that I posted, the hammock user would have rather different equipment and this should be reflected. I don't know anything about hammocks, so can't really comment on them.

So, for those of you keeping score, some helpful things would be:

1) A $300 (or at least inexpensive) gear list.
    2) A hammock specific list.
    3) A traditional list.

Also, comments on alternative bits of gear. Gear is a personal thing and what works for me might not work for others. Please add.

Images

OK, now I think you and I are tracking. The $300 list is done, and there are a few of those for people to look at.

How about this: a base gear list as a primer, then a branch of gear lists. The base list would be generic to the point of saying shelter, t-shirt, etc without getting too specific. My though is that there is more than one tarper out there, more than one traditionalist, more than one hammock hanger, etc. Say something like three of each that can be compared? Then again I may be over thinking this.

Lets hear from the newbies, imagine a base list, then a few of each type that you can look at to see how different people can attack things different ways? Or is this too confusing?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I'd be happy to add my list. And you can classify me as a "heavier ultralight" if there is such a thing. My pack (with food and water) for a 5 day trip in the summer (down to 60F) is about 23-25lbs, in the winter its 33-35lbs (down to 0F).
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I like your idea, but think that a web page would be a better setting for it, rather than a thread based one. For example, the base list would have links from the Shelter entry to something like: Tent, Tarp, Hammock, Bivy, None.

From Tent the link would go to something with more specific information. And so on. This would be a lot of work, however, and would require updates.

New hikers, again, are ESPECIALLY encouraged to comment and question.

Images

I agree Chris, and this was something more along the lines of my thought. An article with a base list that was very generic, and then links in it to the various articles with individual lists in it. So the base list would talk about layering, shelter choices, etc, then the example lists like yours would be available with a write up of maybe why you chose certain items or changed certain items. Sort of like what you hit on with your ideas that you would change next time.

And certainly, lets hear from the newbies in the planning stage: What do you want?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Default Regions & Timing

I think it would be helpful to make each gear list "hike the trail." You could possible frame the lists similarly to Rock's website, referencing average regional weather along the trail, and then track the changes you would probably want to make for each 'style' or basic list. It would help immensely to put things into context:

Gear List for NOBO AT Hammock User
    Georgia. March. Lows in 20s, Highs in 70s. [extreme: teens and 80s]
    [insert basic suggested gear list]
    Virginia. June. Lows in 60s, Highs in 90s. [extreme: 40s and 100s]
    [suggestions for things to send home or pick up]
    Massachusetts. August.
    [etc.]

Constant carried gear, like the 7/10/12 essentials, a practical first aid package, and knick-knacks could make for a separate article. E.g. "Don't bring an axe." "Bring 10 feet of duct tape."

Those are my thoughts for now........
    -Mark

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    I think it would be helpful to make each gear list "hike the trail." -Mark
    If you provide the gear I will do all the hiking you want with it. I will even write a 10-page summary...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler
    I think it would be helpful to make each gear list "hike the trail." You could possible frame the lists similarly to Rock's website, referencing average regional weather along the trail, and then track the changes you would probably want to make for each 'style' or basic list. It would help immensely to put things into context:

Gear List for NOBO AT Hammock User
    Georgia. March. Lows in 20s, Highs in 70s. [extreme: teens and 80s]
    [insert basic suggested gear list]
    Virginia. June. Lows in 60s, Highs in 90s. [extreme: 40s and 100s]
    [suggestions for things to send home or pick up]
    Massachusetts. August.
    [etc.]

Constant carried gear, like the 7/10/12 essentials, a practical first aid package, and knick-knacks could make for a separate article. E.g. "Don't bring an axe." "Bring 10 feet of duct tape."

Those are my thoughts for now........
    -Mark
    The thing about the gear list I put up is that it is what I would use the length of the AT, assuming I wasn't starting in February or early March. Even though it probably isn't necessary to carry thermals in PA in July, I would anyways. I don't like to do a lot of gear swapping and the thermals provide me with additional insurance against hypothermia.

However, just because I don't do much gear swapping doesn't mean others find it useful. So, if you did some swapping, even of an item of two, please bark it out.

You want a newbies opinion? You got it.

If you are gearing a list towards 'newbies', you might want to define what you mean by newbie. Does 'newbie' mean:
    (1) someone looking to complete their first thru, but has a bit of weekend/week experience?
    (2) someone looking to complete their first thru, but has absolutely noexperience?
    (3) someone who has some experience under their belt, but is looking for better ideas?
    (4) or someone who wants to start packing, but really has no clue where to start?

I think the $300 list is a great place to start for those who could be described in (3) and (4) above, but a more 'in-depth' list (or seperate page) would do better for those in the (1) and (2) catagories.

And I think chris' catagories at the start of this list is as good of a place to start as any. Under hauling and sleeping, there could be links to sub-cat page(s) that give options (hammocks, bivys, etc.).

But to reiterate, I think a $300 list is a great start for (what I consider to be) the real 'newbies'. Perhaps a "How to sleep outside for under $300." page.

And for what it's worth, I'd classify myself as somewhere between (3) and (4) above. I have a bit of experience (from WAY back in Boy Scouts), and am currently looking into getting back outside.

- FP

Images

I am slowly heading to Lightweight. Will probably never go UL, but from an inital pack wt (not FSO) of over 55 Lbs, my current FSO of 28 Lbs is UL to me As a "Moderate weight" packer here is my gear list as of last night's re-pack, I don't know most of the weights, will work on that someday. I also didn't list food.:

Backpack: Kelty “Brisbane” (Model discontinued) 2.5 Lbs
    Platypus water bladder with hose & bite valve 3 Oz?
    Water bottle: Gatorade bottle, 0.75 Ltr 2 Oz?
    Water filter: first need 15 Oz
    Polar pure (back up for filter) 2Oz?
    Tent: Nomad (original version), stakes; 3 aluminum, poles: Easton aluminum (included with tent), ground cloth: Painters drop cloth cut to size. 1 Lb 15 Oz
    Trekking poles: Black Diamond ski poles 2.3 Lbs total.
    Headlight & Spare batteries: Petzel 4 Oz
    2 “Bic” Lighters & 4 books Matches in zip lock
    Fuel bottle: used coke bottle
    Sleeping bag* (in stuff sack AND plastic bag) (I need a new one, still undecided)
    Sleeping pad: “Old reliable” Blue ensolite, cut to size 10 Oz
    Pillow: 8” x 8” fleece pillow case, “water wings” w sections separated 4 Oz
    Cook set: aluminum, from Big lots. Scrubby: plastic bag/netting from a cooked ham Spoon: Coleman “Camp spoon” 15 Oz
    Stove; Homemade alcohol stove 1 Oz
    Windscreen” sheet of aluminm 1/2 Oz
    Potholder 2 Oz
    Pot cozy: Old ensolite pad cut to size, held together by duct tape. 2 Oz?
    Driver’s license / ID. Insurance card
    TOILET PAPER & hand wipes: Nuff said.
    Clothing to wear:
    · Kilt: home made, Wool / Poly 13 Oz (I know, heavy, oh well)
    · Shirt: Under Armour. 4 Oz?
    · Bandanna #1 (1 Oz for 2)
    · Wool socks 2 Oz?
    · Boots: Asolo, discontinued model. 3 Lbs pair
    · Ball cap, nylon (mine has attached ear “sun shields”)
    Clothing:
    · Sleeping shirt (long sleeve: winter. short sleeve: spring, summer, fall) 4 Oz?
    · Wool sweater vest: from thrift store. 9 Oz
    · Nylon Panty hose (Yea, laugh, I would, but it works) Below 1 Oz
    · Rain jacket: Totes, discontinued model 4 Oz
    · Rain pants: discontinued brand. 8 Oz
    · Wool socks 2 Oz?
    · Bandanna #2
    · Fingerless wool gloves winter 2 Oz?
    · Camp shoes: another chance to laugh, I use men’s ballet slippers. But they weigh 4 Oz for the pair.
    · Camp/liner socks (I don’t use them as liners, but great for camp socks)
    · UL shorts: some off brand thin nylon, double as swim shorts & sleeping shorts. 3 Oz
    First aid & tool kit: 10 Oz
    · 2 ~ 4X4s
    · 4 Large Band-Aids
    · Hand wipes
    · Mole skin
    · Pain killers
    · Hay fever med
    · Knife: Shrand ultralight
    · Imodium AD, Antacid, Laxative
    · BAG BALM (medicated Vaseline basically)
    · Nail clippers
    · Scissors (folding)
    · Tweezers
    · Safety pins (2)
    · Sewing kit
    o 2 needles
    o 1 spool thread
    o Heavy duty thimble
    · Duct tape: about 20 ft
    · 1 wire (zip) tie
    Food Bag:
    · Seasoned salt
    · Matches
    · Olive oil
    · Vitamins
    o Glucosamine/Chondrotin (seems to help arthritus)
    o Multi vitamins
    110 Camera w flash, 2 rolls film & spare battery 3 Oz?
    Pulsar light: sub 1 Oz
    Note pad, Journal, pen
    Trail guide
    Phone list & Phone credit card
    Space blanket 1 Oz
    Sunglasses: sub 1 Oz
    Flute & sheet music 10 Oz
    Quotes
    Platypus 1 Qt canteen
    Last edited by Doctari; 04-30-2005 at 18:09.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Did we ever get some of the people finishing their thru-hikes to post their gearlists at the end to see what things they dump?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikeLite
    Did we ever get some of the people finishing their thru-hikes to post their gearlists at the end to see what things they dump?
    That was pretty much the idea behind my "article" in the featured articles section. I made a list and critiqued everything that mose hikers end up sending home. Figured better to do this rather than to take individuals lists, as they will be no good to other folks. For instance, if i said i never ditched a book or walkman or journal, that wouldn't be very helpful, as everyone has their personal comfort items and everyone will be different.

Anyway, the list I made reflects what I and most shed during the hike. Everything else would be summer gear I switched out along the way which is obvious. Hope that can help
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Thanks A-train. I read your article and think it is helpful.

Journal Entries

Hey I plan on using a Tarp Tent from Zpack the heximid Solo on my thru hike, was wondering if i needed more protection the a ground sheet inside my shelter so my bag doesnt get wet from the elements?

++ New Posts ++