WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default Four Pines Hostel

Any news on new owners, etc.?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I'm clearly out of the loop. I wasn't sure that Four Pines had actually been sold. Their web site still is there but no response from messages. Anyone know if the hostel will be open this year?

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I'm clearly out of the loop. I wasn't sure that Four Pines had actually been sold. Their web site still is there but no response from messages. Anyone know if the hostel will be open this year?

Doc
    To my knowledge, it has not been sold as of now. But it is for sale. It is still open and Joe wants to sell it to someone who will definitely keep it open. Personally, Id buy it in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

amongnature.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default 4 Pines IS Closed... Joe says so!

Joe has placed the property with a real estate company and it will not be available to hikers this year. He said to tell everyone that he was sorry it did not sell to a hiker wanting to run a hostel. He also said to tell everyone that he will miss getting to meet the 2005 hikers and seeing his old friends.

well that certainly sucks.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default Noooooooooooooo!

MAN! That is terrible! I loved Four Pines, in all its glory! What now?
    It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.
    Le Guin

I know but one freedom and that is
    the freedom of the mind.
    Saint-Exupery
    Hitch your wagon to the stars.
    Emerson

Hostels come and go on the AT. It's not like 4 Pines was a classic.

Mentioned elsewhere that I got this thing going on with birds...

During our awesome stay at the 4 pines I had the fortunate experience of being able to rescue a humming bird that was trapped under Joe's air compressor. The tike flew in, got a little too cozy with one of his fly strips and Joe earlier in the day tried to free him... tore his tail off by accident, and lost track of it in the process. I heard him power strokin to beat the wind in the corner and found him stuck in the grips of some psyco, bird eatin, giant, spider's web! This monster was drooling man!
    I pulled him out, cleaned him up, and sent him on his way... He flew smack right into the side of the hostel like you read about.
    Talk about misdirection. All wings and no steering wheel!
    I gave him a toss and he flew straight as an arrow until I couldn't see him anymore and I wondered if he would make it...
    Chances are he smacked into a tree and snapped his neck

Gotta picture, wanna see it?

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Thumbs up

Lone Wolf, "Hostels come and go on the AT. It's not like 4 Pines was a classic." -- maybe it wasn't a classic, but it was a very good hostel with an owner that trully cared. Making money wasn't his motif as it is with a few of them. oh and Wolfie...STOP trying to stir the toilet water !
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

I ain't stirring nothing, just saying it was just a hostel. They're a dime a dozen.

Passing along the 'final word'...
    >>
    I'm just writing to pass along a message left on our voice mail from Candi
    Mitchell, at the Four Pines Hostel in Catawba, VA. The hostel, located at
    6164 Newport Road, is now "officially" closed, as the property is being
    sold. The prospective buyers are not interested in continuing to function
    as a hostel. The Mitchells are requesting our help in spreading the word.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    --

David Schilling
    Appalachian Trail Conference
    Associate Regional Representative - Central and Southwest Virginia
    email: [email protected]
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

i have some friends who want to purchase this property to continue the tradition as a hostel. my report is that it has not been sold and negotiations maybe under way as soon as joe determines his selling price without real estate commission....

T-O-W , have you tried to contact Four Pines directly??

Also, since it appears that TJ, has a direct line to them, I would send TJ a private message, that way he will be sure to see your post.

Journal Entries
    Images

please forgive me here, i am just posting what was told to me....

Hey folks I was just bored browsing the internet n decide to Google my fathers old Hostel name n suprisingly hes famous. He still has the place in Catawba, VA but its not been opened to Hikers for a while now. hes re-married to a lady who is a complete B*%$# and that is the only reason he no longer does it. he fell in love with it in case you'll couldn't tell but he's changed alot now. he quite drinking (good) started going to church (good) but hes a different person now. I moved out bc he changed so much. I dont know how many of you remember his son that rode the dirtbikes and 4wheelers but Im that kid. Im 20 now so I have grown up alot but for the record if anything ever happens to my dad I want you all to know I'll reopen it as one of the best known Hostels on the trail again....

Quote Originally Posted by Little Joe Mitchell View Post
    Hey folks I was just bored browsing the internet n decide to Google my fathers old Hostel name n suprisingly hes famous. He still has the place in Catawba, VA but its not been opened to Hikers for a while now. hes re-married to a lady who is a complete B*%$# and that is the only reason he no longer does it. he fell in love with it in case you'll couldn't tell but he's changed alot now. he quite drinking (good) started going to church (good) but hes a different person now. I moved out bc he changed so much. I dont know how many of you remember his son that rode the dirtbikes and 4wheelers but Im that kid. Im 20 now so I have grown up alot but for the record if anything ever happens to my dad I want you all to know I'll reopen it as one of the best known Hostels on the trail again....
    Nice to hear from you Joe! I often think of my stay there and you on that yamaha. Hope things get better for you.

geek

Little Joe:

How great to hear from you! Been awhile since I enjoyed your family's hospitality, but would sure look forward to seeing you guys again, or cooking dinner again, for that matter. I have very fond memories of the time spent with you and your dad and would sure like to dio it again sometime. Oh, and I'm also very glad to see you're still with us. Some of the stuff you did on your bike at 14 was kinda scary to watch.

Very best wishes and say Hey to your dad,

Baltimore Jack
    Hanover NH

Hey Joe, I remember you. You and your father had a great place. I stayed there 3 times and always loved it. Glad to see you're still hanging around the AT.

Hi LJ,
    Let me chime in on the "fond memories" refrain. In fact, I came to Four Pines after my worst day on the Trail, physically beat up, dehydrated, soaking wet and plastered with sweat, really in a foul mood. Seriously doubting not my desire but my my physical ability to finish this damned AT Trail.

Your dad pretty much saved my hike. That and some new shoes and a Phil Oren fit at Trail days.
    Your dad was very kind to me. I wrote about it here:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=33815
    and here:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=33816

I hope things work out for you.Thanks for checking in here.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++