WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: how to hike

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    Great work linking this post. This should be moved to an Article, or made a sticky.
    +1 on the sticky. Brilliant!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

This was wonderful, I think you next work of art should be on Ultra Lite gear.

With $1500 You won't have to worry about town too much. You'll have to depend on a lot of mail drops to make it on this budget. You would probably need a $1, or more, per mile in todays economy to make it without a lot of trouble. Anyway, good luck.

Images

Great post Mountain squid. I was still smiling ten minutes after reading it.
    " Take nothing but memories, kill nothing but time, leave nothiing but goodwill."

Journal Entries
    Images

So, I’ve been thinking about safety on the trail. It would seem that a gun would be overkill and I don’t know State or NP regulations anyway. Maybe some bear spray or a large, Rambo type knife would suffice. Of course, to be of any use for protection, it would need to be available at all times and not tucked away in the bottom of my pack. I also suppose it would be beneficial if I knew how to use it. Then again maybe I’m just over thinking this . . .

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Think I’ll go for a walk. I’ve been perusing the archives here at WB for a while and I believe it is time to hit the trail for a ‘thru-hike’. With all the advice here, how can I go wrong . . .

I’ve been saving money and have accumulated about $1500. I think that should be enough. I’m sure my gear will make it for 2000 miles, so I don’t plan to purchase anything new. If something doesn’t last, I’ll contact the manufacturer and expect a replacement within hours. Even if I’ve stuffed 45# into my 30# pack and it finally fails in VT. Additionally, I can discipline myself to not stay in too many towns, regardless of what everyone else is doing or how bad the weather is. If I do stay at a hostel, sometimes I might ask for a work-for-stay to conserve funds. I’ve heard about hiker boxes, so I plan to raid those at every opportunity.

It’s looking like a mid-March start. Theapproach trail. I think I’ll skip it, since it is a blue-blazer and I plan to make it to Neels Gap in 2 days. I am a little concerned about my 40F bag, but with my 25F liner I should be OK. If I have to, I’ll wear all my clothes to keep warm. After all, GA is in the South and it’s warmer there . . .

As I mentioned, I’ve got about 45# of stuff to haul. I don’t think that is too bad. I’ve worn my full pack around the block a few times and it feels ok. I’d like it to be lower but I just haven’t been able to shave any weight, despite the numerous gear lists that have been posted. And, I absolutely won’t part with my frying pan, camp chair, 6 pr of socks, 2 pr long pants (incl blue jeans), machete, 3 books, etc . . . maybe I can do without the laptop . . . I’ll probably do some slack packing when the opportunities arise.

I’m planning about 15 maildrops mostly for food. I think buying food in bulk will help me to stay on budget. Hope I don’t get tired of eating Power Bars everyday.

I’m pretty good at staying found, so no maps for me, besides there are blazes to follow. The Companion (or other Handbook) is extra weight also, so if I look over your shoulder from time to time, Please don’t get mad at me. Since I am only carrying 1 quart/liter of water I may need to know where the next source is occasionally. I’ll carry Aqua Mira for treating water sources, so I am saving the weight of a filter at least.

I’ve made an itinerary around shelter distances. I understand that shelters are full of mice but I’ll probably spend most nights in one, especially when it is raining. Maybe I can save some weight by not carrying my own shelter?!? I’ve read here that mosquitoes sleep at night, so I don’t believe bugs will be a problem. At night I’m not sure what to do with my food bag though. Do bears sleep at night?

There is so much to see on the AT. I’m looking forward to visiting all the States and National Parks the trail meanders through, including the Great Smoky Mountains. Hope I can figure out that shelter reservation system though. And The Whites! Wow! The spectacular scenery and views are highly anticipated. On the other hand, the outrageous price for a stay in a hut is not highly anticipated. I’ll expect all the hut croo’s to accommodate me with a work-for-stay promptly upon my arrival.

I hope there is lots of trail magic. Every opportunity to enjoy a cold soda, etc will be welcome. I won’t expect something at every trailhead or road crossing . . . maybe every other one would be sufficient.

What should I do about a trail name? Name myself or wait for something silly to happen and become Feces Foot or something like that?!?

Anyway,

Think I’ll go for a walk . . .

Tim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Or you could just throw out a bedroll tonight in your backyard and start getting your bag nights.

Awesome post. I was smiling the whole time I read it and still am. See you out there!

Images

Well played...very well played!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

um, was this a joke post?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spycam View Post
    um, was this a joke post?
    kind of. its more of a tutorial. mtn squids done a great job of putting many informative links into his fictional plan. click on some of the underlined phrases for clarification. Its fun!Its exciting! its

Journal Entries
    Images

It's almost time. Is anyone else still looking for someone to hike with? Instead of mid-Mar, I've been thinking 29 Feb might be a good day to start . . . but, I don't know . . . I don't want to be sucked into some other worldy vortex or something . . . Maybe I should sign-up on the Registry . . . . . . .

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and Happy New Year everyone!!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

I would like to hike with you but 29th doesn't work for me. How about feb 30th?

Squid,every time I want the skinny on a subject(the ups&down how fors and why comes,the whacks on and whacks off)I refer to your "How to Hike" post It's truly a piece of work thanks and merry chrismas to you too.feliz navidad eso see k es

Images

That was pretty good mountain sqiud,thanks for the humor and the links.You are one the ones that I hope to run into oneday on the trail.Im not starting till the 1st of may,triing to make sure most of the frost is off the pumpkin
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

Images

Very nice MS

Too funny, but are you planning to stay in shelters? With a really good cast iron frying pan (or Dutch Oven) you will surely be welcome by all the other through hikers. Oh, and don't forget a trail chair (or stool) and backpack saw so if you are trying to cut some fire wood your machete can't handle, you can still cut some green wood for the fire.

i see it as more sarcastic than anything, which to me is funny. I see this as a play on all of the meaningless questions and debate that happens on this site rather than just getting out there and going for it. Regardless of its original intent i applaud you squid this is indeed one of the most artistic and intelligent posts to date Give squid the 10,000 dollar prize.

I hope the Squid is planning on carrying that 1500 in cash, cuz he's going to have to buy some folks a sense of humor...
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

too true, Teej, I couldn't believe the folks that didn't get it! Great job Mtn Squid!

"$1500 should definitely be enough. I can always stay at hostels that rely on donations or the honor system. I mean surely they don't expect me to contribute?? And when other hikers see that I am a little short on food, I am sure that they will share. I mean most hikers carry too much food anyway. And at night when everyone goes into town for a beer, I'll go too and just leave a little early when the tab comes due. Hey! I'm a lot of fun! Surely my buds will simply be glad for my company, right?? "
    Last edited by WIAPilot; 07-02-2012 at 14:24.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++