WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My wife and I have been through this with four dogs and a cat in our married life. It never gets any easier. There is one thing about the process that I want to mention. Each time my wife and I have talked this through together, gone to the vet together when the time came and stayed with the animal in its last moments. We have definitely suffered together. And here's what I have noticed that I never would have predicted: as heartbreaking as it is, each time my wife and I have gone through this together it has made us closer. It might not work that way with others but it has with us.
    Last edited by map man; 06-11-2011 at 00:04.

Journal Entries

You know when its time, when the animal is suffering an existence, and not really living.

I watched my dad die about a month ago. Over the last yr he spent almost all of it in intensive care in hospitals, on a ventillator, feeding thru a G-tube straight into his stomach. While he was lucid and communicative with hope for recovery, you do everything possible to save them. When they get beyond the point of hope, and are constantly suffering, you pray for their relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    I had to make such a decision about my 141/2 year old Old English Sheepdog. She was blind, deaf, arthritic nad incontinent. As I struggled with the decision about her future the vet asked me one question. Are you prolonging her existence for her sake or yours? The answer was extremely difficult and yet very simple. She needed to be released from a life being lived solely for me. Love is not always easy.
    I think this says it perfectly. I am very sorry for what you and yours are going through and the decisions you have to make, sooner or later. Really on a side note, I recently read a great book, "the art of racing in the rain" that gives me a different perspective on some thinks that we are talking about now.

Spend some time with her and she will let you know what to do. Honour the moment, and the memories. When its over you can maybe use the trail, or another, to mourn your loss. Thoughts and prayers.

Journal Entries

My mother recently faced a similar situation with a dog that developed a severe fungal infection in his lungs. She had raised him from a puppy and just couldn't put him down.

As far as I'm concerned Toby died a horrible death...
    Having watched him die, I doubt I will wait too long if faced with a similar decision.

don't let them suffer, thats the worst thing, trying to hang on. my bear(dogs) last day she wouldn't respond at all, til i ask her if she wanted me to let her go and she lifted her head and licked my face. to me that was her way of saying its time. she was high fevered and it didn't/wouldn't come down even being at the emergency vets overnight with them trying to cool her off. she was on this planet for 15 years and brought me a lifetime of smiles and great memories. i always said i probably needed her more than she ever needed me.

seeker, im very sorry about this and i feel your pain
    give your baby a big ole' hug for/from me and i wish you well

Images

Thanks to all who listened and posted. Molly and I were up all night because of severe thunderstorms. She roamed through the house panting and gasping from the anxiety. Nothing I could do to comfort her. I put her down this morning. It was only when they gave her the anti-anxiety shot before they put her down, and I saw how relaxed and calm she became, that I realized how distressed she had been for the past few months. We are both at peace now.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    Thanks to all who listened and posted. Molly and I were up all night because of severe thunderstorms. She roamed through the house panting and gasping from the anxiety. Nothing I could do to comfort her. I put her down this morning. It was only when they gave her the anti-anxiety shot before they put her down, and I saw how relaxed and calm she became, that I realized how distressed she had been for the past few months. We are both at peace now.
    seeker, my heart and prayers are with you. when i put down my blue heeler, little girl, it was the most heartbreaking thing i had ever had to do. i am glad you are both at peace. i hope you have a chance to go find solace in the woods.

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up The right stuff

Good move, and condolences, SEEKER.

I had to do the same, last fall for my Golden Retriever of 13+ years.

He could no longer catch the ducks.

Nothing gets out of here alive.

But, we do have our memories and photos.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

I'm so sorry for your loss. We still miss our Sam, who left us two years ago. We think about him often, and it gets easier to smile about the good memories even though your heart still aches.

Journal Entries
    Images

Now take your hike and Molly will go with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    Now take your hike and Molly will go with you.
    Exactly. I am so sorry for your loss.

Images

She worked very hard at her day job, but like me she loved the outdoors. She will be with me on the trail in spirit and will always live on in my heart.
    Seek, and you shall find.

god bless you all
    ATC Life Member
    The only thing in life you have total control of is your attitude

Images

I am so sorry for your loss. I had to make the same decision a few years ago. Like others have said, when there is no hope for recovery and there really is no enjoyment of life, then it's time. I think you made the right decision.

Images

Seeker, I also am sorry for your loss, but I beleive you chose wisely.Everything your pup always meant to you will stay with you all of your days. May his spirit watch over you during your thru.

My condolences. Makes me remember my first dog. Although she was 12 years old, had arthritis and was suffering it was still hard to let go. In the end it was the right thing to do though. I'm sure you'll take comfort knowing your dog had a full, happy life. I've had to say goodbye to three of my companions before they had the chance to grow old.

Images

She was a beautiful dog, Seeker. All of us that love animals and share lives with them feel your loss. I'm sure her 13-1/2 years were all the better for being with you.
    BigToe
    Men have become the tools of their tools.

Seeker I am so sorry for your loss. Go on your hike now and know that she knew you loved her. My 9 year old Flatcoat Retriever has a brain tumor and only has a short time left and it is breaking my heart but when the time comes that he is no longer himself I hope I have the courage to let him go. HeartWalker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++