WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Images

Hmmm... it says its an organized event, so I'd wager they aren't compliant with current regulations. I'm certain they would need permission from the Forest Service or something along those lines. But I'm just speculating - I have no idea if its legal or not.

Images

Default The changing A/T

Yes, I agree...It does sound "Organized" and probably should be looked at from the stand-point of permit eligibility. Though the nature of the cause might be a just one. However, I wouldn't want to see this kind of event with a large group scheduled regularly on the A/T. Are we as hikers supposed to "give way" when they approach? I hope that I am wrong but, the runners probably won't have any concern for anything but the "Race" and ignore the rights-of-way of others who use the trail. Step aside?
    "May Your Feet Be Light and Your Gait Be Long"... Hobbler

i like it. a fine use of trail. and no, they wont make u step aside. the law is whoever has a pack in that situation goes first. sounds exstremly respectable and silly suggestions they need a permit or permission would be easily answered by asking them. i doubt they organized knowing they could be stopped. rather, im sure their all responsible adults being respectful of all. how can i know this? duh. they have a run for kids with troubles. duh. sheesh. that actually makes them saints working for saints. you messin wit dat?
    matthewski

i think somebody named lwolf needs a kiss.
    matthewski

Don't think it's necessarily illegal but I wouldn't give this group any special treatment or consideration beyond that afforded any other trail users.

And I note they're running all night. I'd be pretty PO'ed if they disturbed hikers/campers while sleeping, whether at shelters or camped in tents/hammocks. Common courtesy dictates they should slow down and go quietly when approaching shelters in the dark.

Also while their cause is admirable, I'd be more impressed with them if they gave back in some way e.g. donated a token portion of their proceeds to the GATC. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. I may be pessimistic but they strike me as the types who take the Trail for granted.

If one of them falls and gets injured, I sure hope we don't hear whining about trail conditions, especially Georgia which is one of the best-maintained sections in the entire AT corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    i like it. a fine use of trail. and no, they wont make u step aside. the law is whoever has a pack in that situation goes first. sounds exstremly respectable and silly suggestions they need a permit or permission would be easily answered by asking them. i doubt they organized knowing they could be stopped. rather, im sure their all responsible adults being respectful of all. how can i know this? duh. they have a run for kids with troubles. duh. sheesh. that actually makes them saints working for saints. you messin wit dat?
    5 people, good cause, let 'em run, we have enough bureaucracy!! 100's of runners, different story, starts affecting the Leave No Trace Principals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Don't think it's necessarily illegal but I wouldn't give this group any special treatment or consideration beyond that afforded any other trail users.

And I note they're running all night. I'd be pretty PO'ed if they disturbed hikers/campers while sleeping, whether at shelters or camped in tents/hammocks. Common courtesy dictates they should slow down and go quietly when approaching shelters in the dark.

Also while their cause is admirable, I'd be more impressed with them if they gave back in some way e.g. donated a token portion of their proceeds to the GATC. But I'm not holding my breath on that one. I may be pessimistic but they strike me as the types who take the Trail for granted.

If one of them falls and gets injured, I sure hope we don't hear whining about trail conditions, especially Georgia which is one of the best-maintained sections in the entire AT corridor.
    id give em the shirt off my back. or anyone. for any reason. any time. your not pessimistic. i dont know what weve become. but why aint this about the suffering in the world and how our trail has been healing for decades? i know my friend paragrin who wrote dead men hike no trails agrees with me. i know the kids agree. their parents are happy. why so glum over here on a site where hikers hang out?
    matthewski

Images

Normally, an organized event would require a permit, but 5 people running is probably below the threshold.

I've run with a group of 5 people from Springer to Neels before and we hardly considered it an organized event.... just a few folks out for a trail run.

On the other hand, the JFK 50 miler which is the largest 50 mile race in the Country, uses a part of the AT and I'm pretty sure they have to get a special permit. I would not want to be a hiker in the area when the JFK race is going on.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Legal? Sounds like it and if its not then which laws are being broken and who should enforce them? The Sheriff of Union County ain't going out to bust no trail runners, I guarantee that.

Ain't a commercial use. Won't disturb anyone at nite unless the runners detour through a shelter area since all GA shelters are set back from the Trail.

Last year, or was it 2 years ago?, a Company of soldiers hiked in formation on the GA AT. 5 runners won't do no harm.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Thanks Matty for your sober response!!!!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgetreks View Post
    5 people, good cause, let 'em run, we have enough bureaucracy!! 100's of runners, different story, starts affecting the Leave No Trace Principals.
    what is the magic number you stop them from doing this????????????
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't care either way.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

why would it be illegal?

Images

Camp Twitch and Shout. I love that name.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

I hope they have a great run, and the kids that benefit have an awesome camp.

I'm just going hiking on the AT by myself, for myself this weekend.

From what I have read it seems some of "us" think the trail is "theirs" and that others cant use it. I dont get that at all. Why would it be illegal for some people to "run" on a trail that is public property? Isnt running just faster hiking? Were still in America right? Someone said I hope they dont disturb people in the shelters? Why would they do that? Are "trail runners' the new Hells Angels? I think its great that more and more people are experiencing the trail. As long as they arent destroying the trail then whats the problem?

Illegal? Perhaps, if the group decided to mine for quartz along the way.

Since when is eating Crispy Cremes a humanitarian cause?

I think this crosses a line.

Images

it says there will be a "A handful of runners ".
    dosen't sound like trouble to me.

Panzer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++