WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ever turn around?

Have you ever gone out to a trail head and realize your head or heart wasn't into it like you had thought? Today, that happened to me. I drove the 4.5 hours up to the Whites, got to the trail head and realized I didn't want to go. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if I should go as I had planned. Ultimately, I hopped back in the car and drove home.

This is extremely frustrating and I am disappointed for allowing myself to not do what I love. I had goals of the trails and mountains I wanted to complete and I feel like I failed. Has anyone else experienced this before? What did you do to get your head back in the game?

-Punchy

There are starving people in China... so finish your food.

There are innocent people in prison... so finish your hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker4ink View Post
    Have you ever gone out to a trail head and realize your head or heart wasn't into it like you had thought? Today, that happened to me. I drove the 4.5 hours up to the Whites, got to the trail head and realized I didn't want to go. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out if I should go as I had planned. Ultimately, I hopped back in the car and drove home.

This is extremely frustrating and I am disappointed for allowing myself to not do what I love. I had goals of the trails and mountains I wanted to complete and I feel like I failed. Has anyone else experienced this before? What did you do to get your head back in the game?

-Punchy
    It's hard to put this in perspective without knowing how much time you got hiking.

Images

There's no sense in forcing yourself into doing someething

Images

many different things go on in peoples heads..........................................Wha t were we talking about?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    many different things go on in peoples heads..........................................Wha t were we talking about?
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly!

But in all seriousness, I had never experienced this before. I am usually 110% ready to go, can't wait to get on the trail...any trail. Today was new and frustrating.

I could see turning around and going home if the weather was nasty when you got up here, but it was a good day for a hike, as will be for the next couple of days.

You should have at least started. If you were not into it after an hour or so, then turn around and go home, but I bet you would have said "sure glad I decided to go hiking today".

Instead you wasted a whole day driving and spent way too much money on gas to do it. For shame.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!

But in all seriousness, I had never experienced this before. I am usually 110% ready to go, can't wait to get on the trail...any trail. Today was new and frustrating.

Maybe you didn't feel like going solo?

Sometimes it's best to follow your gut. You may never know why it was a a good thing you did not go--try trusting your instincts, as we always tell fellow hikers. If something feels wrong it probably is.

Go back when you feel ready to go. I will wager you have a great time and a safe hike.

Gum

Depends what you did instead.
    If it was some TV show or video game, yeah, you screwed up.
    Priorities are just plain messed up.
    But if you went to look up and old girlfriend or play some great music with
    a reggae band, yeah, you have days like that sometimes.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

-Punchy
    You probably have some stuff you need to take care of
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Default Listen to your body

Drove nearly 2 hrs to the Delaware Water Gap to pick up the trail for a 12 miler. Got about a mile into the hike and turned around because something just didn't feel right. Two days later I came down with a case of shingles and it took about a month to fully recover. My body was telling me to stop, but in my mind I felt bad for giving up. Still learning the subtle but important signals that make up the gut feeling.
    Simple is good.

I sometimes get whiny after a long drive to a trailhead, usually if it's a snow trip and I have gotten too late of a start and the sun is out making all of the snow mushy. Fortunately I'm stubborn, so I make myself go and end up having a neato time anyway.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Colin Fletcher called it "Fletcheritis"

I've never turned around once I started the car, but I have on occassion not bothered to get out of bed.

That's life, I guess.

you cant go hiking with baggage. the trail is like my god. it cant be around untruth. if you wanted a drink, or to go gambeling, or to have sex,......you wouldnt be hiking.if you have a girlfriend you hate or only moneys borrowed, ur trip is ruined. if you are lonely or scared or lacking confidence....sometimes a trip is ruined because you love someone so much.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Sometimes it's best to follow your gut.
    Yes, let me ammend my some what sarcasic comment. Do you feel at all out of sorts, physically? Might be a some kind of medical condition coming on.

Just over a year ago, I started what was to be a month long trip and wasn't my normal self after 3 days on the trail. I reluctantly decided to go back home at considerable expense. The day after I made it home I was in the ER with a very serious medical condition. If I had tried to "walk it off" I would be dead now. So, sometimes it really is best to follow your gut.

I sure hope unknown health reasons is not why you weren't into it today.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You should check later and see if a plane crashed on the trail or something.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    You probably have some stuff you need to take care of

Agree with SKids. The trails are always there. There's a time to hike and a time not to hike. Don't beat yourself up.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I would have hiked regardless. You never know when your ability to hike is going to be taken away from you.

my second thru attempt started when my son and his mom waived and kissed goodby from 30th street station in philadelphia as i boarded amtrack for gainsvill in a sleeper car. max was too young to leave. it ripped and tore at me. my hike vs my sons fourth year. at neels. 34 miles in, i paid mountain man wayne 100$ for the trip to atlanta. at the drop off in front of my airline, i turnned to him with hundreds of dollars worth of things i coulodnt fly with, and handed them to him as a tip. nothing ment anything. i learned that the trail waits for us to make time. it onlly wants our quality time. ive quit 5 thru hike attemps. allways for reasons the trail makes clear. allways to return without the burdon. allways better for the trip. no matter its endpoint.
    matthewski

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++