WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I think I know the feeling. I often get a case of "cold feet" usually on the shuttle ride. It happened more when I was first starting out and lacked the confidence of rolling solo. It now usually happens when I start thinking about all I'm leaving back home and what it would be like for my family if I didn't come home...

Glad you quit before you got out of the parking lot, saves others from listening to your unhappiness at the first over crowded trail crossing. So much better to go online and admit your failure than to take up space an an overpriced hut in the whites where the busboy had to carry your breakfast up a mountain.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Have you ever gone out to a trail head and realize your head or heart wasn't into it like you had thought? - Joker4ink

NO! Within a few miles, even after all the trail miles and different trips, that typical cadence of my legs kick in, my eyes widen, my brain functions more alertly, more aware, and the hike IS ON! It's no longer just about reading a book, studying maps, or engaging in talk, including internet chatter. Feet are touching the center of the Earth. Spirit is soaring among the stars. Adventure, exploratioin, self awareness, connection, health, appreciation, joy, love, faith, wisdom flows! EGO, pride, fear, hate, ignorance, anxiousness, impatience, human static diminishes! That inner voice fellowshipping with something greater than myself is more easily heard! More importantly, aside from the proccess of hiking, life takes on greater meaning a greater connection with the universe occurs, FOR ME.

The only way my mind and heart wouldn't be "IN IT" is for me to be totally unaware of this, ignoring this wonderous vehicle that has taken me beyond the status quo lifestyle, or lose my appreciation of it! FOR ME, it would entail a certain sense ingratitude. It would, FOR ME, mean that I sacrificed "THE GIFT" of fellowshipping in the garden again with the creator!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    I sometimes get whiny after a long drive to a trailhead, usually if it's a snow trip and I have gotten too late of a start and the sun is out making all of the snow mushy. Fortunately I'm stubborn, so I make myself go and end up having a neato time anyway.

Yeah I get that too.

Once on the trail I can be 6 hours ahead of schedule or six hours behind schedule and I don't care. But when driving to the trailhead if I'm 2 hours late I just hate it.

Hmm, maybe that's why hiking is good for me, cause one I get out there "it's all good."

It happen to me once on day 2 of a trip. The 1st day was fine. The morning of the 2nd day I lasted 2 hours and had this bad feeling to get off the trail. Went home and the next day I had major medical issues. Now 2 years later I am hitting the trail again and can't wait!

Images

Hike Your Own Hike ... Or Don't! You did the right thing for you. I always try to listen to the holy hiker trinity... head, heart and gut. The trail is always out there to enjoy another day

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've never bailed before I started hiking but I've changed my route to shorten it after I started hiking.

For instance, I headed out to Hot Springs the other week with the plans of hiking back the next day. Rather than do that, I just hiked to Allen's Gap and turned around. Shortened the hike by about 20 miles but still got to stay out overnight.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I got some snowshoes last winter and hiked about a half mile in foot deep snow and thought, "Man, this is HARD." and quit...

Images

May have been "fate" telling you not to go.....

A twisted ankle, snake bite, nasty fall, etc. etc. may have been waiting for you out there that day and "something" intervened to save you.

Thank your guardian angel and don't forget to take them with you next time as well.

Gotta have your head in the game.

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

I agree that everything happens for a reason...it can be frustrating when you dont know what that reason is, especially when I did a solo trip up there once before. as stated by scooter, the trail will still be there. I may just have to get back out there and lay some miles down to get my head back in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Depends what you did instead.
    If it was some TV show or video game, yeah, you screwed up.
    Priorities are just plain messed up.
    But if you went to look up and old girlfriend or play some great music with
    a reggae band, yeah, you have days like that sometimes.
    Dumb!

Doesn't matter what he did. If he did not feel like hiking why force yourself to do something you don't want to do, just for the sake of doing it? If he enjoyed a TV show or video game more than he would enjoy the hike, he made the right choice.

I've shortened trips when I wasn't enjoying them.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

I just go ahead and do it -after a mile or tow it feels right

I actually felt like calling it off before my second half of the PCT. It seemed hard to get back into modern life after the first half and I think I was just starting to get into the groove of modern life, even kind of wishing I had a job again. But then I left and within a day I was loving my hike so much! It was the best hike ever.

I have shortened hikes, too. I did the whole PCT by myself and afterwards it seemed like if I wanted to do any backpacking I would still have to do it by myself so I planned trips every now and then. I was surprised how much I didn't really feel into the whole solo thing on a couple of them. So I shortened one by catching a ride with someone and I shortened another by walking more each day. I still had a nice time, though.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Ive cut trips short, simply because I wasnt enjoying myself. But I also believe in my instincts, and if that inner voice was telling me not to hike that day, I would probably listen.( so far my inner voice has told me to shut up and keep hiking).

Journal Entries
    Images

It could have been that you were tired after the 4.5 hrs drive. One option could have been to sleep/camp in the area then hike the next day when you are rested.

Well each to their own, but as a retired Marathoner once you start charting DNF it gets harder to complete.Something I didn't start.
    Anxiety at the start is normal but its easier to stop that keep going. If doubtful about continuing best advice recently on here was to hike 100miles, if still doubtful hike another 100miles.Then reconsider. I think you might be on your way by then.

Journal Entries

I totally agree with Mweinstone. The trail is a very personal for some people and we all attempt it for different reasons. For some people just getting to the trail head is a huge accomplishement. No one really knows what they are going to be feeling until they get out there and try. For you at least planning it out and doing the drive to get there is a lot more then most people, so don't beat yourself up over it. The trail will always be there waiting and will always be full of extremely supportive people that won't judge you for following your heart and your gut. We all have stuff we are dealing with and sometimes things don't end up the way we planned but stay positive and remember that bright side at least we are given the choice to hike on this extremely beautiful anytime we want free of question.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    you cant go hiking with baggage. the trail is like my god. it cant be around untruth. if you wanted a drink, or to go gambeling, or to have sex,......you wouldnt be hiking.if you have a girlfriend you hate or only moneys borrowed, ur trip is ruined. if you are lonely or scared or lacking confidence....sometimes a trip is ruined because you love someone so much.
    I've had the hate GF who only borrows money and turned around a couple of times. Didn't know I could blame her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I got some snowshoes last winter and hiked about a half mile in foot deep snow and thought, "Man, this is HARD." and quit...
    I know the feeling. Snowshoeing is hard work no doubt!

Default Start planning your next hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker4ink View Post
    ...What did you do to get your head back in the game?

-Punchy
    There have been many times I have cancelled a hike for one reason or another. The way I get my head back into the game is to immediately begin planning my next hike. Always having another hike on the schedule tends to keep my head in the game.

Shutterbug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++