WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Get a MSR Hubba!

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    GOOGLE TarpTent and look at their Moment solo tent. I have had one for 3 summers and love it. It's 28 oz.
    Is that your measurement, cause their site says 30. Is that a weight w/o stuff sack, poles, pegs? Am I splitting hairs?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Images

My Moment was 32 on the nose with stuff sack and seam sealing.

Images

How about the new Kelty Salida 2?

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    From what I've read so far, the interior is not as big as the specs say they are. I believe it's a few inches smaller in every dimension. Too bad because it's a very nice shelter on paper.
    Where are you seeing this? I'll have to measure mine because in my experience it seemed every bit of what is advertised. I am 6' and fit fine inside this tent with room to spare.

Journal Entries
    Images

I keep looking at solo and 2 person tents, and the one I keep coming back to is the new Six Moon Designs "Skyscape Trekker." 24 ozs for $225. Love the design. Lots of interior space. Uses hiking poles. The only tent on my radar with a better price to weight ratio is the Gossamer Gear "The One," and it ain't for sale. They have a sub-$200 version at a bit more weight. Part of me wishes I had pilled the trigger back when they were being offered at an introductory price. Not having any solo adventures in my near future makes it a bit of a frivolous expense tho.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyredMTSU View Post
    all of this input has only made the decision more difficult! I do not use trekking poles. The MSR Fast stash looks really cool. Anybody have any experience or insight regarding it? The quarterdome t2 and the lightpath 2 are also up for consideration. This may just come down to me biting my lip and making a decision.

thanks everybody
    I demoed one for two nights. the back wall is at a pretty sharp angle, so the usable space is considerably less than measured dimensions. Also, it is really not very good in any kind of wind.

Kind of disappointing, because I really wanted to like this shelter. I went with the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker for a solo shelter and have a Hubba Hubba HP for two.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
    ... I went with the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker for a solo shelter and ...
    Do you have it yet? Do you like it? How is it for condensation?
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Do you have it yet? Do you like it? How is it for condensation?
    I don't have it the Skyscape yet. I have not heard any updated shipping info, only sometime in July.

Here is a picture set with the lightpath 2 next to a 6'2" model and with 2 72x20 pads in the tent floor so you get a better idea of interior size.

http://www.moontrail.com/mountain-ha...ightpath-2.php

Default Honestly, if I was in your place

I'd save my pennies a while longer and just get a Hubba Hubba. I've known lots of people who own them (myself included), and have yet to meet one who regrets his/ her purchase.

I just purchased a lightpath 2 from klmountainshop.com for $140, the lightpath footprint from bigskycountry.com for around $40, and a reg. therm a rest z lite from zappos.com for $40 dollars. All were free shipping. I looked at my money situation and saw the lightpath as affordable and everything i needed. The z-lite was just icing on the cake. Thanks for the help everyone. A few of these suggestions have even spurred my interest in hammocks and tarptents. Who knows?

, Rowdy

REI and EMS both make good quality tents within your price range. See if either have a store near you and go talk with them about tents, specifically what you plan to use it for, pros and cons, and prices. You can do the same thing by email or phone, but in person is best. They have both been very helpful to me when I'm shopping for gear. They actually love to get out gear and mess around with it with customers. They sell their store brands and other brands as well. In the summer they always having some kind of sale or promotion on camping gear. Probably a Father's Day Sale right now.
    virgil

Don't let perfect get in the way of good enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++